Page 5 of 109 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast

Thread: The GT300/Fermi Thread - Part 2!

Xtreme Guru
    the same reason the sky is blue

Quote Originally Posted by NapalmV5 View Post
    the same reason the sky is blue
    Rayleigh scattering?

Xtreme Addict
    Exactly!

Belgium's #1 Hardware Review Site and OC-Team!

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post

Now i also thing the GTX470 = 448 SU and GTX480 = 512 SU
    Ummmm.....what else would it be?

Scaling of the GF100 architecture either has to happen on a by-GPC basis or by SMs. Each multiprocessor contains 32 cores which means the cut-down card will either have 480, 448 or 416 SPs plus the accompanying texture units. 480 would make its performance too close to a GTX 480 and 416 may not be enough to compete with overclocked HD 5870 cards.

So, NVIDIA will probably choose the middle ground and make the GTX 470 with 448SPs and 56 texture units.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenknics View Post
    According to a lot of sources the PolyMorph engine was completely tacked on as a reaction to ATI and is not hardware based. Its a feature subset of the shader engine, no new circuitry from what I've seen/read.
    And yet it significantly outperforms the 5870 in terms of tessellation performance. And in no way was it tacked on as a reaction to ATI's tessellator. The DX11 spec mandates tessellation, Nvidia knew about it as soon as the DX11 spec went public, and they were probably made aware of DX11 details long before it went public as well.

Quote Originally Posted by eric66 View Post
    uhmmm do you even know what you are talking about ?
    Well people were complaining about going from GTX200 to GTX400 rather than GTX300.

I was pointing out that ATI has basically done the same thing in the past, going from X800 to X1000 rather than X900 and nobody complained about that.
    Last edited by ElSel10; 02-02-2010 at 06:38 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElSel10 View Post
    Nobody complained when ATI went from X800 to X1000...
    Come on man, I can't believe you are saying this like if you really think that ATI skipped anything there:

Radeon 7###.
    Radeon 8###.
    Radeon 9###.
    Radeon X###.
    Radeon X1###.
    Radeon HD2###.

Sure, you can see the series here, when they have used every number up to 9###, they had to use a new scheme. They used X instead of 10 (roman numerals), and they started the new numeration cycle adding a new prefix digit from there (starting by 1 at the following generation, following by 2 the next, and so).

The only thing that changed in that scheme is that when DX10 cards where made, and they included the HD video postprocessing component in the GPU, they changed the X prefix by HD (because they wanted to reafirm the High Definition focus of the cards).

So, how can anybody complaint about the change from X800 to X1800 and X600 to X1600?

NVIDIA is skipping one generation here, which is hardly comparable to run out of numbers like it happened to ATI then. Not that great of a deal IMO, just messing a little with the marketing names like they did with 8800GT and 8800GTS 512MB (they should have been named as 9000 series, it was G92 chip, not G8x, I don't know why they did so yet). It can be a little confusing, but in this case is very straight forward because there is not any desktop product with a GTX300 or GTX400 marketing name, so it can't be so confusing like it was back then with the 8800GT and derivatives mess.

Xtreme Addict
    Whilst waiting for Fermi I've acquired a 3dfx Voodoo 5 6000. (not joking)

That should keep me nice and busy.

(ps. not from eBay)
    Last edited by Tim; 02-02-2010 at 08:57 AM.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Xtreme Guru
    Who the heck cares if they "missed" a generation? Talk about nit picking...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by eric66 View Post
    reason ?
    It's over, they're done. It's FINISHED!!!!!

/end dramatic fight scene.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Actually, I care a great deal if NVIDIA creates a whole "generation" out of rebranding.

NVIDIA - The Way It's Meant To Manipulate Unsuspecting Buyers, version 2010.
    That's just lame.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrono Detector View Post
    NVIDIA's naming scheme is starting to confuse me, why skip the 300 number and go straight to 400? Like they skipped the 100 number and went to 200 with GT200. I don't understand them anymore, first its weird VRAM and memory bus numbers and this. WTF
    Because the 400 series is way ahead of schedule unlike the 300 series.

That's just lame.
    Now that is an unfair statement. You're saying they would be like Bose?

Xtreme Mentor
    renaming before product launch... nice :p
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Teemax View Post
    Actually, I care a great deal if NVIDIA creates a whole "generation" out of rebranding.
    That's based on assumption and nothing more. Most of the GT200 series of cards aren't even in production anymore so you can't get a rebrand of something that doesn't exist.

People are jumping to conclusions here based off of the renaming of a single card. Heaven knows why NVIDIA did that with the 310 but I don't think it can set a precedent simply because the stock necessary for a rebadged launch isn't around.

Xtreme Addict

That's just lame.
    I agree that the renaming is pretty lame but seriously anybody who is buying a discrete video card and doesn't know anything about what they are actually buying doesn't give a rats rumpus about it to begin with or should be seeking help in their purchase. Not everyone needs to be informed because it simply doesn't matter or that they simply don't care and just want video. An unsuspecting buyer that is clueless can just as easily end up with an AGP or PCI card, also considering very old video cards are still manufactured and sold today a consumer can end up with a 5 generation old video card just as easy a current gen video card without using basic common sense.

You don't have to be the sharpest tool in the shed to be able to read a product box to compare or simply google, its really not rocket science.

The world isn't going to hold the consumers hand, consumer's have survived happily for many years just fine and I believe they will continue to do so.

Obviously you are not falling for any rebranding, do you think you are that much smarter than the rest of the world...
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Xtreme Member
    That's based on assumption and nothing more. Most of the GT200 series of cards aren't even in production anymore so you can't get a rebrand of something that doesn't exist.

People are jumping to conclusions here based off of the renaming of a single card. Heaven knows why NVIDIA did that with the 310 but I don't think it can set a precedent simply because the stock necessary for a rebadged launch isn't around.
    Is it?

You must have missed the "launch" of the new GeForce 300M chips then.
    GTS 360M, GTS 350M, GTS 335M, GTS 330M, GTS325, 310M and 305M... that's a pretty complete line up there, and they're all rebrands.

BTW, those "brand new" Quattro FX Mobile? Rebrands.
    http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17494/1/

Basing on a one card incident? Hardly!

Xtreme Guru
    Is it?

You must have missed the "launch" of the new GeForce 300M chips then.
    GTS 360M, GTS 350M, GTS 335M, GTS 330M, GTS325, 310M and 305M... that's a pretty complete line up there, and they're all rebrands.

BTW, those "brand new" Quattro FX Mobile? Rebrands.
    http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17494/1/

Basing on a one card incident? Hardly!
    Hold on....when did this conversation turn to mobile parts?

Xtreme Member
    Just for curiosity, who is nit picking anything? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that this comment of yours, SKYMTL, is at least in part directed to my previous one. In such a case, I think you would have missunderstood my post (maybe didn't read it full, or paying attention?).

If I'm wrong, and you're not talking about my post, sorry then. I thought it was the case because you were talking about other different topics when I brought back the "skipping generations" one responding to someone who said that ATI "skipped" a generation from X800 to X1800 (don't ask me how).

Xtreme Member
    Hold on....when did this conversation turn to mobile parts?
    If anything, the mobile parts give a good indication that NVIDIA continues their great rebranding scheme into their 3xx series. So it's actually an assumption to think that they'd stop.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    Obviously you are not falling for any rebranding, do you think you are that much smarter than the rest of the world...
    There's nothing "smart" about it. You and I belong to a minority group of people who follow tech news closely.

Do you seriously believe that NVIDIA rebrand their cards just for fun and to piss off tech enthusiasts? They do it because it works, shady business tactics or not.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ElSel10 View Post
    And yet it significantly outperforms the 5870 in terms of tessellation performance. And in no way was it tacked on as a reaction to ATI's tessellator. The DX11 spec mandates tessellation, Nvidia knew about it as soon as the DX11 spec went public, and they were probably made aware of DX11 details long before it went public as well.

Well people were complaining about going from GTX200 to GTX400 rather than GTX300.

I was pointing out that ATI has basically done the same thing in the past, going from X800 to X1000 rather than X900 and nobody complained about that.
    x900 isn't a generation thats like saying nvidia skipped 6900 or ati did skip 9900 lol

Xtreme Guru
    If anything, the mobile parts give a good indication that NVIDIA continues their great rebranding scheme into their 3xx series. So it's actually an assumption to think that they'd stop.
    Fine, if you want to talk about mobile Quadro parts, let's do just that.

You point towards the Quadro article at Fudzilla to be an indication of rebadged parts. They are not. I have used Quadro cards for most of my professional life from the current 2700M in a laptop all the way back to the NVS days.

The previous generation of DX10-capable mobile Quadro cards were the 370M, 770M, 1700M, 2700M and 3700M. The new cards are all x8xxM which makes total sense to me considering they now support higher memory bandwidth, OpenCL 3.2, have EnergyStar certification, use a new power management system....the list goes on.

How is that a rebrand again? They added updated tech but you expect them to keep the same names? Now THAT would cause confusion.
    Last edited by SKYMTL; 02-02-2010 at 08:51 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    There's nothing "smart" about it. You and I belong to a minority group of people who follow tech news closely.

Do you seriously believe that NVIDIA rebrand their cards just for fun and to piss off tech enthusiasts? They do it because it works, shady business tactics or not.
    You don't have to follow tech closely or be a techie to be informed no more than you have to be a mechanical engineer to purchase a car. What it boils down to is that those who are looking for a specific thing will do their research while those who don't care will simply buy what they have budgeted for regardless.

Its not about being in a minority group of folks that follow tech, its about having the basic common sense to know what you are spending your hard earned money on. Its the basic common sense to be somewhat informed before making any purchase unless you simply don't care at which point it doesn't matter either way.
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by NapalmV5 View Post
    say goodbye to 5870/5970.. their days are numbered!
    in 1-2 months from now... and their prices will drop a lot so their days wont be really numbered...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Whilst waiting for Fermi I've acquired a 3dfx Voodoo 5 6000. (not joking)

That should keep me nice and busy.

(ps. not from eBay)
    does it work?
    be careful with the agp bridge chip, i heard those blow really easy :S

Quote Originally Posted by Nedjo View Post
    renaming before product launch... nice :p
    hahah who knows, maybe itll actually be the 5xx series by the time its launched

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    does it work?
    be careful with the agp bridge chip, i heard those blow really easy
    The HiNT chip is blown, but I've got a spare HiNT chip and an appointment with a BGA IR rework station.

The board powers up, Bios is accesible, so most likely it's the HiNT chip, so it should be working after the bridge chip is replaced. Fun stuff, looking forward to it.

ps, you're right about the bridge chip being sensitive, motherboard incompatibility can be a problem, the chip will simply overheat due to it, and blow.

Better be on topic again, otherwise we will get into trouble.
    Last edited by Tim; 02-02-2010 at 09:25 AM.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenknics View Post
    According to a lot of sources the PolyMorph engine was completely tacked on as a reaction to ATI and is not hardware based. Its a feature subset of the shader engine, no new circuitry from what I've seen/read.
    Do these sources live in Neverland too? What exactly have you seen/read that leads you to that laughably incorrect conclusion?

Page 5 of 109 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast