Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The GT300/Fermi Thread - Part 2!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    Wow... kinda cheating the system but that's one way to do it!

Where are you getting a 90 day return policy though?
    EVGA Step-up program?
    Are we there yet?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    Wow... kinda cheating the system but that's one way to do it!

Where are you getting a 90 day return policy though?
    Ever heard of the EVGA Step-Up program?

Quote Originally Posted by Edward88 View Post
    This . . . this is a real fanboy . . . .

You dont have a clue of the final card and you are saying that you will buy 2 and within 90 days change them over . . .

You have no clue how absolutely fed up I am with AMD Catalyst drivers right now..

I have owned two Sapphire Radeon HD 5970 cards for six weeks now, neither of which has worked to produce advertised performance results in Quad-CrossFireX since the day they arrived on my doorstep. The issue described in a recent Tom's Hardware article is nothing more than an improper temperature sensor reporting bug that has been present since Catalyst 9.12 by my knowledge (but has probably persisted even further back), of which I have fallen victim to.

The only solution to the issue lies with the Catalyst makers (see: Terry Makedon) and driver engineers over in Ontario, Canada. Until then, Radeon HD 5000-series owners like myself who are experiencing the unfortunate setbacks of the latest Catalyst driver renditions will either have to join together and mass appeal against AMD's driver development team (see: the purpose of forum cooperation), or simply sit back and wait 30 days between new driver releases until the problem is eventually resolved for every single user on the planet.

This was my first Radeon purchase in over six years, and will probably be my last for quite some time to come..
    Last edited by AuDioFreaK39; 01-30-2010 at 07:22 PM.
    EVGA X58 SLI Classified E759 Limited Edition
    Intel Core i7 Extreme 980X Gulftown six-core
    Thermalright TRUE Copper w/ 2x Noctua NF-P12s (push-pull)
    2x EVGA GeForce GTX 590 Classified [Quad-SLI]
    6GB Mushkin XP Series DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20
    SilverStone Strider ST1500 1500W
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 240GB 1.0GB/s PCI-Express SSD
    Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional / Logitech G51 5.1 Surround
    SilverStone Raven RV02
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AuDioFreaK39 View Post
    You have no clue how absolutely fed up I am with AMD Catalyst drivers right now..
    Not what i wanted to read. But I'm not surprised. It saddens me, as ATI did have a stretch many years back that they were better than NV at driver support.

When I read what you just said, It fuels my hope that GT300 and nvidia's multi-monitor tech is miles better than what ATI can offer with the 5870. It would make my decision easier.
    System: Core I7 920 @ 4200MHz 1.45vCORE 1.35VTT 1.2vIOH // EVGA x58 Classified E760 // 6GB Dominator GT 1866 @ 1688 6-7-6-18 1T 1.65V // Intel X25 80GB // PCP&C 750W Silencer
    Cooling: Heatkiller 3.0 LT CPU block // 655 Pump // GTX360 Radiator
    Sound: X-FI Titanium HD --> Marantz 2265 --> JBL 4311WXA's
    Display: GTX480 // Sony GDM-FW900

Xtreme Addict

(driver issues)

This was my first Radeon purchase in over six years, and will probably be my last for quite some time to come..
    Ditto except for a quick try with a 4870 (and now my 5870 I've had since launch has the same issues) that I disliked and went with a GTX 280 instead of. I have multitudes of minor glitches/issues/oddities with the ATI drivers I never experienced with my GTX 280 or 8800GT 512, or 8800GTS 640, heck even my 7900GT. All kinds of random alpha texture "ghosting"/flickering, lots of weirdness like fences disappearing depending on camera rotation in various games, occasional scanlines that only appear at 2560x1600 briefly, etc. Before anyone says it's an issue with the card and/or system, I already had a second 5870 on-hand to verify with, and tried both cards in a separate system to replicate the issues.

I have a lot annoyances with forcing AA/AF conflicting with some games (if I keep it forced to play Warhammer Online or Dark Age of Camelot/other games that don't have in-game options, and then forget to switch when launching ones that do, it often just doesn't apply any, forcing me to quit the game, set it manually through the annoying Catalyst Control Center, then re-launch the game and re-join the server/match). Also had a lot of random minor issues such as certain effects in games like NFS Shift causing major slowdown to 1-2fps, then zooming at hyper-speed to "catch up" with what should have been happening in-game, until the very latest Catalyst release several months later.

There's simply too many for me to list, frankly, whereas the nVidia drivers have served me pretty darn well, with my biggest issue being that I had to switch a manual profile per-game to "Force AA" instead of "Enhance setting AA" as a one-time thing. It just plain worked, and it had PhysX for Mirror's Edge (one of my favorites) along with a couple others for visual goodies.

I guess the point of this is: I'm ready for Fermi!

You can see a post of some specific issues I have had here: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=59
    Last edited by GoldenTiger; 01-30-2010 at 08:32 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Anyone notice how ATI has had driver problems since forcing us to the Netframework architecture?

I can honestly say that I've no driver issues with the games I play on my 5850. No vertical lines, gray screens, missing textures, etc...

But I am aware of other people having said issues on 5870's and above. Too bad ATI can't get them right, they may loose a few high end customers to Fermi.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    Anyone notice how ATI has had driver problems since forcing us to the Netframework architecture?
    I don't see how that is at all related. .NET is for CCC and has nothing to do with the driver. If you're complaining about driver issues you should try going back to some pre-2000 cards and their drivers.

Xtreme Member
    Being that this is the GT300 thread, I have a feeling we shouldn't dwell too much on ATI. My parting contribution, in ATI's regard, will be this.

As GoldenTiger, I got a 4870 after the massive amounts of positive reviews only to find my experience with the card left a lot to be desired. I quickly switched to a GTX280 and had no issues (other than the first 185.xx drivers for Win7 being crap until 19x.xx came out).

I've wanted to go back to ATI, since my x1900 was one of my favorite cards I've ever owned. But they keep giving me reasons to go to nVidia....
    System: Core I7 920 @ 4200MHz 1.45vCORE 1.35VTT 1.2vIOH // EVGA x58 Classified E760 // 6GB Dominator GT 1866 @ 1688 6-7-6-18 1T 1.65V // Intel X25 80GB // PCP&C 750W Silencer
    Cooling: Heatkiller 3.0 LT CPU block // 655 Pump // GTX360 Radiator
    Sound: X-FI Titanium HD --> Marantz 2265 --> JBL 4311WXA's
    Display: GTX480 // Sony GDM-FW900

Xtreme Addict
    idk but if I don't see any news on mid-feb something definitely wrong with fermi...
    ░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█▀▀ ░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█ ░░░
    ░█▀▀ ░█▀▀ ░█ ░█ ░░░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█ ░░░
    ░▀▀▀ ░▀ ░░░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░░▀ ░░░▀░▀ ░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░

Xtreme Member
    I really hope 360 (or 380) is worth a upgrade from 5870 cause Atis drivers is indeed a joke.
    Project TJ07 WeeMaan edition in progress...

i7 920 @ 4,4ghz, P6T Deluxe, Corsair Dominator 6Gb, HD5870, OCZ Vertex 60gb + Samsung F1 1tb

Heatkiller copper, EK 5870, Thermochill 120.4, DDC 3.2

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Normaly Nvidia should be launch Fermi at CEBIT, 2-6 march. But i also expect some solid news, i mean the date of launch and the paper launch in no more than two weeks. I think that now is so silence, because Nvidia quietly ships the chips to the parteners.... to ambush properly Ati...
    i5 2500K@ 4.5Ghz
    Asrock P67 PRO3

P55 PRO & i5 750
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=966385
    239 BCKL validation on cold air
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=966536
    Almost 5hgz , air.

Xtreme Addict
    i agree about the fact drivers of 5870, and 5970 are too much beta drivers.

BUT, i bought the 5870 @ the start, and i don't noticed no real big problem.

Before drivers 9.12 hotfixes, I was seen some brief flash sometimes 20% of the screen for 1/60s become black or white or something else in 2D. Not beautifull and not to be very angry against AMD. Sure a bit surprise. It was about 2 times or 3 per week with 8-10h/day of use.

9.12 hotfixe changed that. And i don't noticed any other problem, with my multi screen.

10.1 introduced a problem with multiscreen and when the monitors shutdown. I don't like this, i shutdown manualy my montors, the crt goes down but LCD stay green, and the PC detect again screens when i move my mouse to wake up the PC.

That's not a big problem but i hope 9.12 to fix that.

I don't buy multiGPU for heavy drivers problem, i was on dual 3870 ( not a X2 ) but i don't liked to use so much power for low improvement and so bugs to the start. So i aim always the best GPU in 200-350€ including 20.6% of VAT range.

I was suprised too there is so much low issues with this new GPU with this old architecture. My mind is the process make inside too much bugs. The is always bugs process. Some serious and some not serious. The TSMC process was total failure even they don't want to say it but we know AMD aimed to start to sell 5870 in end of june with old planings.

And i'm looking for a cheap eyefinity not with TN monitors rig. ( just 3 monitors ). If anybody found something great.

Currently i'm on a iolair 24" MVA.

LED screens are available ? LCD is a shame.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by madcho View Post
    [...]
    LED screens are available ? LCD is a shame.
    LED screens are LCD. they just happen to have LED instead of CCFL backlight
    1. Asus P5Q-E / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @~3612 MHz (8,5x425) / 2x2GB OCZ Platinum XTC (PC2-8000U, CL5) / EVGA GeForce GTX 570 / Crucial M4 128GB, WD Caviar Blue 640GB, WD Caviar SE16 320GB, WD Caviar SE 160GB / be quiet! Dark Power Pro P7 550W / Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA / LG L227WT / Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 // SysProfile

2. Asus A8N-SLI / AMD Athlon 64 4000+ @~2640 MHz (12x220) / 1024 MB Corsair CMX TwinX 3200C2, 2.5-3-3-6 1T / Club3D GeForce 7800GT @463/1120 MHz / Crucial M4 64GB, Hitachi Deskstar 40GB / be quiet! Blackline P5 470W

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by RaZz! View Post
    LED screens are LCD. they just happen to have LED instead of CCFL backlight
    Perhaps he means OLED displays.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Perhaps he means OLED displays.
    Or Perhaps he means an LCDOLEDTFT

Xtreme Member

I have owned two Sapphire Radeon HD 5970 cards for six weeks now, neither of which has worked to produce advertised performance results in Quad-CrossFireX since the day they arrived on my doorstep. The issue described in a recent Tom's Hardware article is nothing more than an improper temperature sensor reporting bug that has been present since Catalyst 9.12 by my knowledge (but has probably persisted even further back), of which I have fallen victim to.

The only solution to the issue lies with the Catalyst makers (see: Terry Makedon) and driver engineers over in Ontario, Canada. Until then, Radeon HD 5000-series owners like myself who are experiencing the unfortunate setbacks of the latest Catalyst driver renditions will either have to join together and mass appeal against AMD's driver development team (see: the purpose of forum cooperation), or simply sit back and wait 30 days between new driver releases until the problem is eventually resolved for every single user on the planet.

Same here ATI no more
    Intel i7 2600K 5GHZ Watercooled. 2x Asus DirectCU II TOP GTX670 SLI @1250/7000/Watercooled. Asus Maximus IV Extreme. PCI Express X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series.
    8GB Corsair 2000Mhz Ram. 4x OCZ Vertex3 120GB SSD. .3xSamsung F1 1TB All in A Lian li Tyr PC-X2000 Chassi. Logitech diNovo Edge keybord
    MX Revolution mouse and Z-5500 Digital 5.1 speakers Corsair HX-1200W PSU Samsung 244T 24"+ 3xPhilips 24¨in nVidia Surround

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by E30M3 View Post
    Same here ATI no more
    And me, see that 5870 in my sig, its a gtx 275 now waiting on fermi. Ati cards are great, drivers suck
    CPU: Intel 2500k (4.8ghz)
    Mobo: Asus P8P67 PRO
    GPU: HIS 6950 flashed to Asus 6970 (1000/1400) under water
    Sound: Corsair SP2500 with X-Fi
    Storage: Intel X-25M g2 160GB + 1x1TB f1
    Case: Sivlerstone Raven RV02
    PSU: Corsair HX850
    Cooling: Custom loop: EK Supreme HF, EK 6970
    Screens: BenQ XL2410T 120hz

Help for Heroes

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodkin View Post
    And me, see that 5870 in my sig, its a gtx 275 now waiting on fermi. Ati cards are great, drivers suck
    Yeah I have been wanting to upgrade my GPU, but I just keep trying to be patient with Nvidia and see what they release. They are starting to take a little to long though.
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by randomizer View Post
    I don't see how that is at all related. .NET is for CCC and has nothing to do with the driver. If you're complaining about driver issues you should try going back to some pre-2000 cards and their drivers.
    Not a chance. I remember having a "out of sync" error with an AIW card that ATI couldn't even figure out.

You're probably right about .NET and I'm just blowing wind out my ass, but it sure as hell seems that way.
    Last edited by freeloader; 01-31-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I wonder what % of "Ati drivers suck!" are because inefficient uninstalling of nvidia drivers and posterior installing of Ati driver.

Personally never had a problem with ati drivers, obviously every time i go from nvidia--> ati i make a clean windows install.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    hmmm so a new thread was started to fill it with more bs?...talk of ati drivers upgrade strategies etc...should of just left the last thread open..

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJohn View Post
    I wonder what % of "Ati drivers suck!" are because inefficient uninstalling of nvidia drivers and posterior installing of Ati driver.

Personally never had a problem with ati drivers, obviously every time i go from nvidia--> ati i make a clean windows install.
    Same.

When I went from my 8800Ultra to 4870X2, I never fully cleaned my HDD from the NV drivers and I had nothing but problems.

Clean OS install and Not a single problem with ATI, it's even my first ATI card.

If I install a new ati driver I uninstall the old one in safemode and remove any trace of it, then install the new one. Still no problems.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodkin View Post
    When they first come out, then weeks and months later they improve until you get a fair amount more stability and performance then you had with the original drivers. My old 4850 crossfire went from hardly working, to working great after a few driver releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbylite View Post
    with great MHZ comes great responsibility
    CPU:Q6600 G0 @ 3.825
    Motherboard:Asus P5E X38
    Memory:2x2GB OCZ Reapers DDR2 1066
    Graphics Card:Asus 4850
    Hard Drive:2xSegate 500gb 32MB Cache raid0
    Power Supply:Xion 800W
    Case:3DAurora
    CPU cooling: D-tek Fuzion V2 (Quad insert removed)
    GPU cooling: mcw60
    Monitor:24" LG

Xtreme Mentor
    the second page of this thread proves it self completely useless in terms of the topic it should cover! Do we really need any "Fermi" thread at all?

I mean the bl00dy card will be out in the next 30 days, so why not await and have "official" GeForce XXXXX thread?
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by annihilat0r View Post
    Nvidia's Q1 does not start with the new year.
    Correct, that is their financial Q1...
    When they state when they are going to launch a product, they aren't talking about their fiscal year unless they say so...
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by N19h7m4r3 View Post
    Same.

When I went from my 8800Ultra to 4870X2, I never fully cleaned my HDD from the NV drivers and I had nothing but problems.

Clean OS install and Not a single problem with ATI, it's even my first ATI card.

If I install a new ati driver I uninstall the old one in safemode and remove any trace of it, then install the new one. Still no problems.
    Had a 4870X2, 8800GTX, 8800GTS, 8600GT, and X1600XT in this rig at one time or another, never reinstalled the OS once and have had no problems other than bugs introduced by programs such as the "AMD GPU Clock Tool" or whatever it was called (it over-rides fan speeds and/or temperatures sensors).

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast