Page 53 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3435051525354555663103 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 2723

Thread: The GT300/Fermi Thread - Part 2!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbucket843 View Post

look up.^^
    Saw that coming. Hahaha, you're hilarious. You need to read sir. Never insulted anyone. Said their arguement was a joke. Didn't put anyone down, insult anyone's character or make fun of them in anyway. I'm sure you'll reply to this saying "need to read" is an insult.
    Iron Lung 3.0 | Intel Core i7 6800k @ 4ghz | 32gb G.SKILL RIPJAW V DDR4-3200 @16-16-16-36 | ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING + ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX GAMING | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB + Samsung 840 EVO + 4TB HDD | 55" Samsung KS8000 + 30" Dell u3011 via Displayport - @ 6400x2160

I am Xtreme
    An interesting observation btw.
    You've all seen the thread about ASUS MARS based on ATI, right? Which has a huge cooling system and can draw up to 450W of power.
    Why are they releasing this? I am sure no one doubts that Fermi will not be considerably faster than 5970 (and in fact will probably be slower).
    Since it's not just ASUS who is going to release similar monster cards, it makes me think that dual Fermi is coming, sooner or later. It will be just as hot, huge, power hungry and expensive.
    That's what this card is supposed to compete with.
    Last edited by zalbard; 02-25-2010 at 12:14 PM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    i think thats too pessimistic man...
    if something is too pessimistic even for saaya... then there is a problem jk

I don't know why you guys are basically saying it would be impossible for them to even do 600mhz with 480SP's. There are yield issues and those issues are eliminated when you are considering launching only 5000 or so cards.

I am sure that if Nvidia was to go as low as 600MHz for 480SP Fermi's, they would be able to produce that in large quantities. But of course they won't because it has to be (surprise) good in performance also

I think it's Charlie's articles which make everyone try to put everything in as bad of a light as possible. While you're at it you might also try predicting that Fermi will not even do 500mhz, it will cost $13500 per card and Nvidia is going to go bankrupt because a plane carrying all their engineers and managers as well as millions of chips will crash and burn because Fermi is "huge, broken and unfixable".
    Last edited by annihilat0r; 02-25-2010 at 12:51 PM.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    You've all seen the thread about ASUS MARS based on ATI, right? Which has a huge cooling system and can draw up to 450W of power.
    Why are they releasing this? I am sure no one doubts that Fermi will not be considerably faster than 5970 (and in fact will probably be slower).
    Since it's not just ASUS who is going to release similar monster cards, it makes me think that dual Fermi is coming, sooner or later. It will be just as hot, huge, power hungry and expensive.
    well there hanst been any talk about dual fermi for a while...
    originally it was supposed to come out "very soon" after the fermi single gpu launch... but then again, nvidia said fermi is launching "very soon" and that was almost half a year ago
    i really wonder if a dual fermi card makes sense...
    if the power consumption of the single cards is really that high, then a dualgpu fermi card would have to be clocked pretty low, which would make it not that fast... only 20% faster than a 5970, if even that...
    thats assuming a single 480 is slightly slower than a 5970...

Quote Originally Posted by annihilat0r View Post
    if something is too pessimistic even for saaya... then there is a problem jk
    hahha, thats so true man
    sigged

Xtreme Addict
    While you're at it you might also try predicting that Fermi will not even do 500mhz, it will cost $13500 per card and Nvidia is going to go bankrupt because a plane carrying all their engineers and managers as well as millions of chips will crash and burn because Fermi is "huge, broken and unfixable".
    I'm surprised the doom and gloom posse haven't already "predicted" this very dilemma, maybe they're not as good as they thought!
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Xtreme Addict
    hahha, thats so true man
    sigged
    Hey, since you post in pretty much every thread it'll be great to see my name on everywhere on XS now

Quote Originally Posted by highoctane
    I'm surprised the doom and gloom posse haven't already "predicted" this very dilemma, maybe they're not as good as they thought!
    It's because there were never any rumors of such a plane crashing. But now I said it and everyone is going to bet on it! Nvidia will die!
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    The question should be - Why would NOT they release such video card? Since when, manufacturer are making cards, that should compete with another, that come from vendor? This is just silly observation. If there is going to be another card from ATi, it will come from them, not from anybody else.
    ASUS P5E Deluxe X48 | C2Q Q9550@testing[Fuzion v2+MCR320+MCP655] | G.Skill 4x2GB F2-8800CL5D-4GBPQ@testing | Sapphire 4870X2@ testing | 150GB WD VelociRaptor + 2xWD6400AAKS | Chieftec CFT-850-14C | Iiyama E2403WS | Razer DeathAdder | CM CosmosS Black

Xtreme Addict
    so is the march 26 another paper launch ???

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sn0wm@n View Post
    its the geforce based on fermi paper launch

the november paperlaunch was of fermi as an architecture by itself... with a hint towards gpgpu...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sn0wm@n View Post
    So help me god if this is a paper launch.... Really what I'm far more miffed at is the potential price tag; I find it unconscionable given the economic times we live in to drop $1200 on a pair of video cards. That's almost enough to cover my car payments for the entire span they have been playing hide and go yourself games with their marketing department since it was known that Fermi wasn't going so well.

These had better be AT or BELOW $400 or I will be moving to Hecatonderes in the fall and skipping nvidia indefinitely until they get their head on straight.
    NZXT Tempest | Corsair 1000W
    Creative X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Intel i7 2500K Corsair H100
    PNY GTX 470 SLi (700 / 1400 / 1731 / 950mv)
    Asus P8Z68-V Pro
    Kingston HyperX PC3-10700 (4x4096MB)(9-9-9-28 @ 1600mhz @ 1.5v)

Heatware: 13-0-0

Xtreme Addict
    its the geforce based on fermi paper launch

the november paperlaunch was of fermi as an architecture by itself... with a hint towards gpgpu...

fermi as a gpgpu + another paper launch about the card gefore still equal another paper launch... but they are trying to make themselves look good... their pr dept is good at that... cant blame em for trying...

Quote Originally Posted by Sentential View Post
    So help me god if this is a paper launch.... Really what I'm far more miffed at is the potential price tag; I find it unconscionable given the economic times we live in to drop $1200 on a pair of video cards. That's almost enough to cover my car payments for the entire span they have been playing hide and go yourself games with their marketing department since it was known that Fermi wasn't going so well.

These had better be AT or BELOW $400 or I will be moving to Hecatonderes in the fall and skipping nvidia indefinitely until they get their head on straight.

they say the price tag will be close to 700$ but they didnt say newegg price... im sure some retailler will hike the price alot to make up for the lack of availability ..... countdown to 1200$ gtx480 on ebay

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    His post history doesn't indicate that. At least here at XS. What has he been wrong about so far? In any case there should be leaks galore within a week or two.
    Like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Zed_X View Post
    At CES will NVIDIA to demonstrate new "(nV)Eyefinity" technology

Three displays with GeForce 3D Vision and Dark Void PhysX game - on ONE Fermi card! GeForce 3D Vision and Eyefinity together - interesting!

Source : NV invitation for that show
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Banned
    U$400 for the GTX470 and either U$500 or U$550 for the GTX480

that's my guess

Xtreme Mentor
    $299 for GTX 470
    $399 for GTX 480
    $499 for double GF100

These prices wil become reality if ATi has an existing or new/refresh card to match/beat the Fermi-lineup at launch. Otherwise you can add about $100 to $200 from bottom to top, would I suggest.

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (BIOS 1305)
    2600K @4.5GHz 1.27v , 1 hour Prime
    Silver Arrow , push/pull
    2x2GB Crucial 1066MHz CL7 ECC @1600MHz CL9 1.51v
    GTX560 GB OC @910/2400 0.987v
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 400MB RAMDisk
    CM Storm Scout + Corsair HX 1000W
    +
    EVGA SR-2 , A50
    2 x Xeon X5650 @3.86GHz(203x19) 1.20v
    Megahalem + Silver Arrow , push/pull
    3x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600 CL7 + 3x4GB G.SKILL Trident 1600 CL7 = 18GB @1624 7-8-7-20 1.65v
    XFX GTX 295 @650/1200/1402
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 2GB RAMDisk
    SilverStone Fortress FT01 + Corsair AX 1200W

Xtreme Addict
    1- Who said it was 100 percent accurate. You're making fun of words you yourself are putting in my mouth.
    2- Who said Nvidia changed specs every day, I told of only 1 (reads "one") change of spec. Don't forget that the specs from long ago (750mhz and such) were only targets which were missed, and clock speed testing of the last revision (A3) was completed only recently. So anything you have heard before were only rumors / lies / targets.

As far as I know, Nvidia had completed testing the latest revision only a little time ago and decided upon 512SP / 650MHz. Before that there weren't any specs only targets and rumors. They have changed the spec ONCE and that is to 480SP / 700+MHz.

Surely those could be all wrong. But one change of spec isn't really an impossible thing to happen. Especially if you have missed your targets horribly and are trying to figure out what to do best with the parts you ended up with; and with the ultra high TDP and thermal death problems they have now.
    Ummm... Nvidia is just passing that info on to AIBs. Nvidia knew what A3 was like in Jan.

Quote Originally Posted by -Sweeper_ View Post
    U$400 for the GTX470 and either U$500 or U$550 for the GTX480

that's my guess
    My $499 and $599 estimates were a little high and yours are a little low.
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Addict
    stop expecting nvidia to give you fermi for free... it wont happpen... big dies cost alot to make so they cost alot to sell..... + delays = more cash invested in fixing initial problem this involve a bigger investment .... so a fermi at 700$ isnt out of range

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    Like this?
    The "ONE Fermi" bit? Yeah he was off there but still has a higher hit rate than anyone else on the board at this point.

Xtreme Addict
    i think thats too pessimistic man...
    think about it, even a 600mhz 480sp part will be a double gtx280... its not going to be slow... it will be less than nvidia hoped for and less than some expect, but it will be able to compete with 5870 and 5970... its not like nvidia will lose the performance battle... if anything it will be a draw with both ati and nvidia winning some here and some there...

cancelling fermi would not make sense... you wouldnt be able to release a new gpu faster by cancelling fermi, you would just lose all the money you invested in it and let ati reign free... im sure they are focussing a lot on their next gen project right now, but fermi wont be cancelled...
    performance isnt the problem to begin with, its cost...
    and nvidia has two good chances to improve on that, they can improve 40nm yields with a new stepping which they are already working on, and there is 28nm...

those are both risky though... their main problem is cost, and the only safe way to improve on that is cutting fermi down... i really hope they will get a cut down fermi out asap... its good for nvidia, and its good for us... there wont be notable price impacts from a 470 and 480 in low quantities... its even possible that prices dont change at all after fermi launches... : /
    no price drops = hw industry slows down even more, consoles eat more market share = worse gaming overall... cause lets face it, consoles CANT replace pcs when it comes to gaming...
    Idk I just have the feeling Fermi is the new R600...even if is faster than GT200 products won't be offering the true performance we expected, and knowing nvidia the prices are going to be sky-high, is not worth releasing a product that would run 10-20 fps faster than competition (lets say GTX480 vs 5870) for $300 more...or yet slower than competition offerings (GTX480 vs 5970) for same price or even more expensive...ending up being hotter and a lot more demanding on watts... idk I just lost hope on nvidia in this generation...I guess is all up on nvidias driver team (they are way much better than ATi by the way) to make Fermi "shine"
    ░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█▀▀ ░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█ ░░░
    ░█▀▀ ░█▀▀ ░█ ░█ ░░░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█ ░░░
    ░▀▀▀ ░▀ ░░░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░░▀ ░░░▀░▀ ░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Idk I just have the feeling Fermi is the new R600...even if is faster than GT200 products won't be offering the true performance we expected, and knowing nvidia the prices are going to be sky-high, is not worth releasing a product that would run 10-20 fps faster than competition (lets say GTX480 vs 5870) for $300 more...or yet slower than competition offerings (GTX480 vs 5970) for same price or even more expensive...ending up being hotter and a lot more demanding on watts... idk I just lost hope on nvidia in this generation...I guess is all up on nvidias driver team (they are way much better than ATi by the way) to make Fermi "shine"
    there's A LOT of assumptions in there... all of which contradict posts from people with a good track record on these things...

what if the gtx480 is "only" 10-20fps faster than the 5870 and $100 more explensive?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    The "ONE Fermi" bit? Yeah he was off there but still has a higher hit rate than anyone else on the board at this point.
    neliz doesn't count?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 570091D View Post
    there's A LOT of assumptions in there... all of which contradict posts from people with a good track record on these things...

what if the gtx480 is "only" 10-20fps faster than the 5870 and $100 more explensive?
    still, would be hotter (which could mean more failures) and consumes even more... so theres 2 cons vs 1 pro :/ and even if it has more fps, now days any performance hardware level is overkill now days (thanks to consoles)... so I don't think someone with a ATi 5000 has the need to jump the bandwagon even if runs 30+ fps while gaming 80-100 fps in most games...as long there no PC exclusives (like crysis was) theres no need for more powerful hardware atm, at least for gaming...
    Last edited by Blacky; 02-25-2010 at 09:34 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    still, would be hotter (which could mean more failures) and consumes even more... so theres 2 cons vs 1 pro :/ and even if it has more fps, now days any performance hardware level is overkill now days (thanks to consoles)... so I don't think someone with a ATi 5000 has the need to jump the bandwagon even if runs 30+ fps while gaming 80-100 fps in most games...as long there no PC exclusives (like crysis was) theres no need for more powerful hardware atm, at least for gaming...
    so.... the hd5xxx series is useless too then?

how exactly does hotter = fail? the i7 920 is "hotter" than a q9650, does it then have higher failure rates? also, please enlighten all of us on what exactly the power consuption and thermals for the gtx4xx cards will be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Member
    Not useless but rather unnecessary. The thing was in the past if the game wasn't demanding then you could always argue that if you wanted to go a higher res or AA, etc you need the power. Now 30" is probably as big as you would want a computer screen to be, so the res has hit a ceiling (hence why eyefinity which is cool but i know i wouldn't play with bezels). Coupled with console ports then really any decent card from last gen would be enough.

Xtreme Addict

how exactly does hotter = fail? the i7 920 is "hotter" than a q9650, does it then have higher failure rates? also, please enlighten all of us on what exactly the power consuption and thermals for the gtx4xx cards will be.
    As long we keep getting crap ports (again for gaming), yes, I had 285's on 3-way and temps were awful in gaming session's I had to put it at 100% to have <85, I sold it and got myself an 5870 which is enough for anything right now even for eyefinity and for power consumption is probably is not going to be less than ATi 5000 thats for sure everyone knows that already I guess...

Xtreme Addict
    As long we keep getting crap ports (again for gaming), yes, I had 285's on 3-way and temps were awful in gaming session's I had to put it at 100% to have <85, I sold it and got myself an 5870 which is enough for anything right now even for eyefinity and for power consumption is probably is not going to be less than ATi 5000 thats for sure everyone knows that already I guess...
    I don't fully agree here. This is a very subjective thing to say as it depends on your framerate demands, image quality settings and last but not surely not least, resolution. At 1920x1200, I find myself wanting more than what a single 5870 can offer (I like to have above 60fps at all times if possible with 4x AA / 16AF for single player games, and even more online ; again subjective and NO a 5870 cannot do this let alone a 5970 in some cases ). If a GTX 480 can meet that demand, I am all for it ( given a reasonable cooling solution ) I'd sooner pay $700 for a single card that is 10-15% slower than a 5970 but that is just me. Multi gpu solutions should be a last resort in my opinion ( an educated opinion at that as I've personally used 5 different multi gpu configs / cards in the past few years ; I'm speaking of the pitfuls and issues that have always plauged these solutions ; driver problems, power usage , noise, heat, low performance increase relative to price )
    Last edited by Chickenfeed; 02-25-2010 at 10:53 PM.
    Feedanator 7.0
    CASE:R5|PSU:850G2|CPU:i7 6850K|MB:x99 Ultra|RAM:8x4 2666|GPU:980TI|SSD:BPX256/Evo500|SOUND:2i4/HS8
    LCD:XB271HU|OS:Win10|INPUT:G900/K70 |HS/F:H115i

Page 53 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3435051525354555663103 ... LastLast