Thread: XP PRO 32BIT question

Xtreme Member

XP PRO 32BIT question

Heloo sorry for the noob question but.....

I have an old PC that i use to runa bot account in an older RPG and it runs on windows XP pro 32bit.
    At the moment it has 2 GB of ram can i upgrade to 4gb of ram on windows xp 32bit?

I know that 32Bit OS will not recongnize all 4GB but will it cause problems?

Xtreme Member
    As long as the Motherboard supports it Windows XP 32bit could use little more than 3GB without problems.

/Jonas.

Xtreme CCIE
    +1

I've never heard of actual problems caused by adding memory, you just won't be able to use all of the extra 2GB. But 3.xGB usable > 2GB usable, right?
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The only situation, and it's a minor annoyance, is if you add 2 more 1Gig sticks to make 4 x 1gig. You may have to run slower memory timings. 2 x 2gig will run a little faster but if you don't need the absolute fastest timings then no problem.

My old A8N-SLI / Opteron setup has 4x1GB in it and it runs the RAM at 333Mhz

I had previously had 2x2GB and they were on 400MHZ

It kind of annoyed me but in truth there is no difference at all... Not really.

---

Also my Foxconn Setup seemed to really hate 4GB in that It would in fact chew up well over 1GB in RAM leaving me quite often with 2.5GB even before it would boot up, so 32 or 64 made no difference?

The A8N didnt do this, only the foxconn.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mid UK. Lift a few rocks, eventually you will find me.
    My missus has 4Gb 2x2Gb in the core2duo I built for her (I can't remember the model of Gigabyte board or brand of memory I used, could find out if you really need to know). It is running XP pro 32 bit, Windows sees and uses 3.5Gb of it.
    Fun Box: Asus P8Z68-V GEN3++Corsair AX850++i5 2500k@4.5Ghz-1.272v++Corsair A50++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++MSI R7970 Lightning++Audigy2 Plat-EX++TBS 6280 DVB-T2 tuner++256Gb OCZ Vertex 4.500Gb Caviar Black.500Gb Seagate Barracuda++Sony AD7240s++Lian-Li PC-60++Linux Mint/Win 7++Asus P238Q

Work Box: Gigabyte H61MA-DV3++Corsair HX620++i5 3450@stock++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++120Gb OCZ Agility 3++Linux Mint

Quantum theory in a nutshell: It's so small we don't know where it is, it could be here, it could be there.

Just 'cos it's legal don't make it right.