Thread: tons of noob questions on 1st loop, a few photoshopped ideas

Xtreme Addict

tons of noob questions on 1st loop, a few photoshopped ideas

hey guys, i am about to try water for the first time but i have sooo many questions about what would be best for me to do. i ended up getting one of the danger den kits that was on sale which includes Black Ice Xtreme II rad, d5 pump, mc tdx block and all the little stuff needed. now im gonna be making an internal cpu only loop in my antec 300 (after i get rid of lower HD bays) using that kit and possibly some different parts but thats where my questions start coming in

that kit suggests using a t-line but for some reason i thought to make the loop a little neater i would pick up one of the swifty rad/res (mcr220-res) to use in place of the bixII, which i have already bought, so now i have 2 rads lol here comes some awesome photoshop work

so i guess my first question would be will either of these ways make much of a difference?

i can either use the danger den kit, standard the way it came with the bixII which i think would look like this in my case:

or i can use the mcr220 rad/res instead of the bixII which i think would look like this:

then i started thinking (which got the best of me as usual ) i was thinking about picking up a 120mm rad to add to the loop which i would put on the back fan spot. how much of a difference would this make to temps, would it be worth adding in?

heres what i think it would look like if i used a the bixII with standard t-line as suggested by the DD kit:

and here is what i think it would look like with the mcr220 rad/res instead of bixII:

i also thought of getting one of the microres's which i would mount under the rear fan in that open space, but i will leave those pics for a different post i dont feel like spending any more money lol i want some new gpus

so i guess first of all, does this stuff look right to you guys?

should i go with bixII & t-line or mcr220 rad/res?

how much benefit is a single 120 rad added to the loop, worth it?

edit: edited out 2 rads up front idea..

like i said, im a noob to water cooling so sorry for all the questions and i appreciate any help you guys can give me!
    Last edited by crazydiamond; 01-28-2010 at 11:41 PM.
    LEO!!!!
    amd phenom II x6 1100T | gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 . .
    2x2gb g.skill 2133c8 | 128gb g.skill falcon ssd
    sapphire ati 5850 | x-fi xtrememusic. . .
    samsung f4 2tb | samsung dvdrw . .
    corsair tx850w | windows 7 64-bit.
    ddc3.25 xspc restop | ek ltx | mc-tdx | BIP . .
    lycosa-g9-z2300 | 26" 1920x1200 lcd .

Xtreme Addict
    There won't be enough room to fit two of those up there. Look how much space a rad of similar thickness occupied in my old 300. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=100

Any of those setups would be fine. I'd prefer 1 or 3 though personally, but that's just been my experience. You will also want to have the outlet of the D5 on the top, so the inlet will need to be where the tubing curls down into the pipe. Rad/res will be a PITA to fill and check in that area.

--Matt
    Last edited by mattkosem; 01-28-2010 at 05:48 PM.
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Xtreme Addict
    thanks, thats what i figured - i just thought i would throw it out there. i am more interested to hear what people think of the first few questions.
    LEO!!!!

Xtreme Addict
    no opinions on either using t-line + bixII vs mcr220 rad/res combo as shown in 1st 2 pics?
    LEO!!!!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by crazydiamond View Post
    no opinions on either using t-line + bixII vs mcr220 rad/res combo as shown in 1st 2 pics?
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkosem View Post
    Rad/res will be a PITA to fill and check in that area.
    --Matt
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme