Thread: is this big enough?

is this big enough?

is this tec big enough to keep a 4gh i7 920 under amb (at 100% load) if i can keep the hot side under control ?

it seems to be a more "efficient" improved tec?? :\
    Last edited by elk0019; 01-26-2010 at 04:24 PM.
    Intel Core i7 920 D0
    Asus Rampage II Gene
    OCZ Platinum 6GB 1600mhz 7-7-7-24
    Enermax Modu87+ 700W
    Gigabyte 460 GTX 768 SLI
    Antec Mini P180

Swiftech MCP355 + EK X-TOP V2
    HK 3.0 LC + MIPS NB-SB-MOSFET + 2X MCW60R
    XSPC RX240 + Phobya Xtreme 200 + Magicool Xtreme 120
    3/8 1/2 Primoflex Pro LRT

Banned
    it looks like it might but it does not give a Qmax wattage rating which is very important for cpu TEC cooling

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by elk0019 View Post
    is this tec big enough to keep a 4gh i7 920 under amb (at 100% load) if i can keep the hot side under control ?

it seems to be a more "efficient" improved tec?? :\
    Well I thought I had seen all the attempts by ebay sellers to make things look better then they are.

I might be wrong but I think the seller has got his knickers in a twist - I have never before seen a wattage rating for chilling and another for heating then even more unbelievable they said....I quote - "The total power consumption of the cell is the sum of hot and cold watt " so they are adding the 2 wattages together to get the rating of the TEC.... This seller has no idea what he is talking about.

A Standard 19925 i.e. 199 couples and 25 amp max has a Qmax (at 27ºC) of roughly 350w so I suspect the 360w (Qmax) rating is in the ballpark for this TEC - not anywhere near 600w !

Sorry.....I can't believe the lengths people go to to try and make their TECs look better....of course, they are playing on the fact that you wont know any better than they do.....

As for cooling your CPU well recent threads would suggest it might for normal use of the CPU but if you use multithreaded programs or overclocking to any degree or benching you might encounter problems. You must remember you will need very good cooling on the hotside. What ever the heat output of your CPU is, double it and that will be roughly the wattage coming off your hotside i.e. The minimum amount of cooling that you have to provide, and of course it have to be a water loop.
    Last edited by zipdogso; 01-26-2010 at 05:55 PM.

i've sent a question now asking them just that

what was qmax again? the actual cooling efficiency in watts???
    Intel Core i7 920 D0
    Asus Rampage II Gene
    Enermax Modu87+ 700W
    Gigabyte 460 GTX 768 SLI
    Antec Mini P180

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by elk0019 View Post
    i've sent a question now asking them just that

what was qmax again? the actual cooling efficiency in watts???
    The Qmax in wattage is the maximum amount of heat the TEC can pump at the maximum input power with a Dt of 0º.

The Dt is the difference between the temperatures ( in ºC / ºF ) of the hot and coldsides so a Dt of 0º means there is no cooling action. At this point the heat applied to the coldside is passing straight the TEC and hence both sides are the same temperature so as difficult as it might be to "picture" this it is the point at which it is working best BUT it is not cooling because the coldside is not getting cold !
    Last edited by zipdogso; 01-26-2010 at 05:45 PM.

i think i got the picture and ty about warning me of these tec vendors on steroids
    Intel Core i7 920 D0
    Asus Rampage II Gene
    Enermax Modu87+ 700W
    Gigabyte 460 GTX 768 SLI
    Antec Mini P180

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zipdogso View Post
    The Qmax in wattage is the maximum amount of heat the TEC can pump at the maximum input power with a Dt of 0º.

The Dt is the difference between the temperatures ( in ºC / ºF ) of the hot and coldsides so a Dt of 0º means there is no cooling action. At this point the heat applied to the coldside is passing straight the TEC and hence both sides are the same temperature so as difficult as it might be to "picture" this it is the point at which it is working best BUT it is not cooling because the coldside is not getting cold !
    This is the first time I have heard of the delta of zero being the best! It just struck me as odd to hear it stated that way. But makes sense since I am always trying to make the hotside as cold as possible to lower the dt.
    Primary Rig: DFI Lan Party LT x48 (@453 FSB) // e8600 @ 4.3 Ghz (1.3V) // PNY XLR8 DDR2 @ 1088 MHz (2.0V) // X-Fire Sapphire 1Gb 4870 // WD Raptor 160 GB (XP) // Seagate Barracuda 500 GB (Win7) // Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Edition // Thermaltake ToughPower 700W // LG 23" @ 1920x1080

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by repsol_23 View Post
    This is the first time I have heard of the delta of zero being the best! It just struck me as odd to hear it stated that way. But makes sense since I am always trying to make the hotside as cold as possible to lower the dt.
    Best from the TECs point of view not yours......

Heat is flowing through it at the fastest point but because there is no cooling it is absolutely useless to you....
    A 400w Qmax TEC can pass 400w at full power at Dt=0 or 0w at Dtmax usually around about 70º for a single stage TEC.

To lower the Dt start undervolted as it is non-linear relative to input power (but is also affected by load to the coldside and excessive hotside cooling .)....then to maximise cooling cool the hotside but be aware as you cool the hotside further that drops the Dt too.

Basically every thing conspires against you to get really low temps the way to get colder is to increase the Dtmax and the only way to do that is stacking at roughly 11º-12º extra Dtmax per layer....But you've been around the block long enough I don't need to tell you how stacking works or doesn't, do I ???
    Last edited by zipdogso; 01-27-2010 at 04:11 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zipdogso View Post
    Best from the TECs point of view not yours......

Heat is flowing through it at the fastest point but because there is no cooling it is absolutely useless to you....
    A 400w Qmax TEC can pass 400w at full power at Dt=0 or 0w at Dtmax usually around about 70º for a single stage TEC.

To lower the Dt start undervolted as it is non-linear relative to input power (but is also affected by load to the coldside and excessive hotside cooling .)....then to maximise cooling cool the hotside but be aware as you cool the hotside further that drops the Dt too.

Basically every thing conspires against you to get really low temps the way to get colder is to increase the Dtmax and the only way to do that is stacking at roughly 11º-12º extra Dtmax per layer....But you've been around the block long enough I don't need to tell you how stacking works or doesn't, do I ???
    ZIPs Right on the money