Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who built the first water-cooled PC?

I am Xtreme
    was it billA that designed the mcw5000?

dangerden also came out with the "maze 1" around 00-01...were they involved in forums?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The first "company" I remember actually making blocks was dangerden. They had like one block. Then swiftec moved from just air to water as well. My first few blocks were all DD. and that would have been....2002/03 back then it was ty tubing... small rads.... no cool bp fittings... lol times change fast.
    Lian Dream: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz, Asus Maximus IV Gene-z, MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr III, 8GB 2x4GB Mushkin Ridgeback, Crucial M4 128GB x2, Plextor PX-755SA, Seasonic 750 X, Lian-li
    HTPC: E5300@3.8, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Gigabyte 5750 Silentcell, Mushkin 2GBx2, 2x 500gb Maxtor Raid 1, 300gb Seagate, 74gb Raptor, Seasonic G series 550 Gold, Silverstone LC16m

Laptop: XPS15z Crucial M4
    Nikon D700 ~ Nikkor 17-35 F2.8 ~ Nikkor 50mm F1.8
    Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Dan from Dangerden came up with the Maze waterblock, and thus was born this industry

nikhsub: that's what i was saying earlier, early community was mostly on procooling and overclockers (remember Joe Citarella too ?)
    procooling had most of the industry icons posting there, and some of the early extreme setups but that only goes back to early 2000.
    mattkosem: oh yeah i remember you sorry Una was easier to remember his name and he had some of the earlier posts on procooling
    For earlier stuff it's only custom jobs that some would be able to pull out of the intarwebs geologic strata...
    So far mattkosem and Daveburt714 are the grandpa's of watercooling :P I suggest we give em a prize, like a walker made out of bitspower fittings ?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by gmat View Post
    So far mattkosem and Daveburt714 are the grandpa's of watercooling :P I suggest we give em a prize, like a walker made out of bitspower fittings ?
    Ironically that might be a slap in the face to their home depot wc lineage.

I say give 'em each a pack of npt barbs and a 120v relay to honor their long history.

nikhsub: that's what i was saying earlier, early community was mostly on procooling and overclockers (remember Joe Citarella too ?)
    procooling had most of the industry icons posting there, and some of the early extreme setups but that only goes back to early 2000...
    That's what I found too. I was thinking maybe one of those "pioneers" might recall where they first saw a water-cooled PC. You would think someone might have published a retrospective or history of the hobby, but I haven't found it yet.

My question came to mind as I was viewing Matt's thread, and remembering the thread started by SigFever last year about "Aesthetics vs Performance."

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by shazza;
    That's what I found too. I was thinking maybe one of those "pioneers" might recall where they first saw a water-cooled PC. You would think someone might have published a retrospective or history of the hobby, but I haven't found it yet.

My question came to mind as I was viewing Matt's thread, and remembering the thread started by SigFever last year about "Aesthetics vs Performance."
    That setup that I linked from Mike, whomever he is, was the first that I saw and what got me started in water cooling. His was the only one I had seen at that time. It became much more popular when the 300A was released though, since it had so much oc potential.

--Matt
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

I am Xtreme
    All this talk of Procooling and Una got me a little nostalgic for the place where I gleaned most of my early knowledge from. Looks like Una still has a thing for the ghetto setup's.

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=15476
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    All this talk of Procooling and Una got me a little nostalgic for the place where I gleaned most of my early knowledge from. Looks like Una still has a thing for the ghetto setup's.

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=15476
    Me too. I was looking through the forums last night myself. They seem pretty quiet as of late, which is too bad since that place was such a good resource.

--Matt
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibbler View Post
    Ironically that might be a slap in the face to their home depot wc lineage.

I say give 'em each a pack of npt barbs and a 120v relay to honor their long history.
    I like how you guys think and in all honesty the history such as this should be preserved and remembered. A thread commemorating the history of water cooling should have it's place in the stickies. The only problem would be....Who would write it?

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
    but Naekuh some of your timeline facts are way off - maxxxracer didn't come about for a LONG time, and he was a silly noob at first Anyway, it matters little who was first really - if you really want to learn about the history of the hobby and how we got to where we are today, poke around procooling - some serious smart dudes were over there - les, billa and many many others. OCAU as well, even ocforums.com's water cooling section was ripe before this forum even existed.
    Those are his white paper reports.

I know he was active way b4 he started pushing those out.

MaxxRacer's first guide was published at the start of 2005.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=54331

I know he was helping people out b4 that, so i traced him around 2003-2004.
    Im fairly sure he was active b4 you were, unless you started quiet on XS, like how i did.

I didnt start posting on XS until later, infact it was my RL friend who introduced me to water (and not forums), and the custom milling blocks back 2000.
    He somehow managed to convince me to go over to water, and gave me his block.

I was originally an aquarium hobby freak, i loved salt water reef tanks..
    So plumbing wasnt something new to me.
    Computers replaced that entirely, and also costed the same at the time too.

Well if my timeline is off, then OOPS, thats how i remember it as...

But no doubt about it.. matt pwns all in the start date.
    Infact only my friend john who introduced me to the hobby is probably in his league.

I know for a fact he was doing TEC + water in 97, my sophomore year in college...
    My friend john gave up on the hobby in 2002.
    He got married, and watercooling his wife's tempter became more of a priority then the computer.

Another topic... how long ago did Travis from DFI street start watercooling?
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 01-28-2010 at 12:31 PM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Member
    Well for me personally, the biggest legends are Cathar and Bill Adams. When I started, I got all of my ideas from them. Then later came Martin, with his great testing and inquisitiveness (and don't forget his loop estimator, how awesome was that when he made it?). I would say he is as important as anybody else, he just started later. And don't forget the other great testers we have right now: HESmelaugh, Skinnee, and Bundymania. Their contributions to our hobby are invaluable, and they should be lauded in a thread like this.

But to be honest, what I know now about watercooling is a really compilation of information gathered from the legends I mentioned above, plus things I've picked up from many different people active on this forum right now, like (names listed in no particular order): DB, NaeKuh, nikhsub1, Waterlogged, Hondacity, Sadasius, Cyberdruid, Shazza, and more that I don't have time to list.

Xtreme Addict
    For myself it was 4 names that stood out most for me here and that was Martin, Skinnee, NaeKuh and Waterlogged. The two testers and the two common sense guys that helped with the smaller yet equally important stuff. To you guys I thank you very much! Plus there are many more names as well that I have learned from new and old that have contributed to my knowledge in the water arts. Malik was also an inspiration to me with the aesthetics of his builds. Mick64 with his design work and countless others here for the support. I know that different people will have different legends for them in their time but I would still like to have the history on the people that were an inspiration to the people I mentioned. I think it's fitting for those who want to get into it to know where it came from and how it changed over the years and who it inspired in that time almost like a lineage of knowledge handed down to the legends of today who are tirelessly helping others out and to get to know the heart and soul of water cooling.

Chasing After Diety
    WOW i got mentioned!

The only real credit i have is pushing rigorous tests on the supreme out
    (but this is thanks to martin, but he did use all my methodology i had when i was decompiling the supreme...)

and the bridges u see on all full board blocks / single mosfet blocks. :P

WL.. ahhhh my buddy.... there are only a few people who can ever get the last word on me... He is one of them..

Oh my DDC sinks never got popular.

But i managed to find an extra one in this mess..

Now i wonder how many of my friends are gonna bug me to give them that last ddc sink im not using...

Oh i started the koolance revolution on XS too..
    ROFL... that was fun while it lasted..
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 01-28-2010 at 01:06 PM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Send it to me ...

Xtreme Addict
    NaeKuh believe it or not it was you who got me started with San Ace fans. Saw your one setup and that gave me a hard-on. SO I incorporated that into my build. Waterlogged made me realize my cavitation mistake in my build with the thermal probes in front of the pumps which is why I silently installed extenders to get them out of the way. My res is where it is directly because of Malik and his early green machine build. Martin and Skinnee to install the thermal probes to begin with to monitor what is going on in my system so that I can tune it as they do to have the best performance. A little of everything from everyone is in my build. Oh and I cannot forget the pure Pron of DB. I don't count that as inspiration as much as I count that as XXX material for those lonely times when the wife is away... Why I did the pumps the way I did though is all me being creative.
    Last edited by Sadasius; 01-28-2010 at 01:16 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    It'd be nice if you could coax him back here for a while. He might know the answer and it'd be fun hearing more about the old old days again.
    Haha, the good old days. I remember Cathar, Marci and Bill Adams.
    Stew rides with the same bike club as me, i've been out with him a few times.

I am a bit confused with this thread tbh... it started out as the first and it got mixed up with legends So are we looking for who started it all or legends in general? For example Martin is a legend for all his contribution and testing. He might not be the first but that shouldn't count So whoever started this all is a legend... but all the others who had a huge impact in WC are also legends xD

Xtreme Addict
    Not very confusing at all. We are trying to find the first still and if you have a clue where to look and contribute it would be very welcomed. Talk of everything else along the way is just the process of finding who influenced who so we can get a better picture for those that were not there. Pretty simple stuff, no? Oh and

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by eth0s View Post
    Well for me personally, the biggest legends are Cathar and Bill Adams. When I started, I got all of my ideas from them. Then later came Martin, with his great testing and inquisitiveness (and don't forget his loop estimator, how awesome was that when he made it?). I would say he is as important as anybody else, he just started later. And don't forget the other great testers we have right now: HESmelaugh, Skinnee, and Bundymania. Their contributions to our hobby are invaluable, and they should be lauded in a thread like this.

But to be honest, what I know now about watercooling is a really compilation of information gathered from the legends I mentioned above, plus things I've picked up from many different people active on this forum right now, like (names listed in no particular order): DB, NaeKuh, nikhsub1, Waterlogged, Hondacity, Sadasius, Cyberdruid, Shazza, and more that I don't have time to list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadasius View Post
    For myself it was 4 names that stood out most for me here and that was Martin, Skinnee, NaeKuh and Waterlogged. The two testers and the two common sense guys that helped with the smaller yet equally important stuff. To you guys I thank you very much! Plus there are many more names as well that I have learned from new and old that have contributed to my knowledge in the water arts. Malik was also an inspiration to me with the aesthetics of his builds. Mick64 with his design work and countless others here for the support. I know that different people will have different legends for them in their time but I would still like to have the history on the people that were an inspiration to the people I mentioned. I think it's fitting for those who want to get into it to know where it came from and how it changed over the years and who it inspired in that time almost like a lineage of knowledge handed down to the legends of today who are tirelessly helping others out and to get to know the heart and soul of water cooling.
    Whosaywhat. . .wait, what?. . .you mean other ppl can see my posts? Crap, I guess I better be more careful what I say.

Uh NaeKuh?. . .nik started here Dec '02 according to his profile and he joined @ procooling Jun '02.

@nik, you still have that boxer?
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadasius View Post
    We are trying to find the first still and if you have a clue where to look and contribute it would be very welcomed.
    Honestly i dont think there's a real "first" that was influential since like said before, bigger computers were already watercooled, and that was rather natural for those working on them to do the same on personal computers. They were not the ones to be influential IMHO, it was rather the legends of computing like Cray who did total immersion on their first supercomputer, or IBM who watercooled their mainframes (remember back then, especially in 80's, computer = IBM). When i was a youngster i looked up to those and to me (as a kid) power = watercooled. I wouldnt be surprised some took it to the next level. I heard of Amiga's being cooled with peltiers (for 68030 overclocking...) for instance.
    All we could do seriously here is find the earliest source on Internet, and that will bring us back to around the first pentiums (circa 1994 for P54C) i guess. Earlier than that the web didnt exist anyway...

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    @nik, you still have that boxer?

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
    GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
    *:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post

Beautiful animals.
    Circles SucQ!

thread resurrection!

nik was doing watercooling long before I was, he just didnt post much here because the WC'ing forum was not so great here. He was very active at Pro cooling. After I wrote the watercooling guides here, the WC'ing forum exploded on XS.

Blast from the past!!

Hi Maxx!!Glad to see the site still alive and kicking,This is Dave from HighVoltagePC,back in the day i designed and marketed to becooling and many others,the lexan clamps for waterblocks that utilized the four mysterious holes found on the amd/intel mainboards,watercooling was just becoming mainstream at the time..that was over ten years ago!!i was friends with everyone in the watercooling scene and live in the same area as Unaclocker and have hung out with him etc..etc..
    i stop by here from time to time and wanted to ad an article about the waterblocks evolution, i wrote it some years ago for overclockers,.com and figured id ad the link here if that is cool?!I wish i had some more storys on the history of watercooling but i was always into design and manufacture,i prefer to work on the fabrication,case modding and overclocking,not so much the testing and white paper part of it...
    *here is my article...

http://www.overclockers.com/the-evol...ng-waterblock/

*here you can see one of the early designs of my clamp, from the site that matt posted in this thread:

http://mkosem.fortunecity.com/water2.html

..i really should get back into water-cooling...

Thanks~

Stay Cool!
    Last edited by HighVoltagePC; 08-25-2010 at 12:33 AM. Reason: added link
    *Keeping the fun in dys fun ctional-!!!

Xtreme Member
    The Elves began it...building watercooled computers...waking up the trees...teaching them to speak.
    "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123