Thread: Any hope of getting this (8GB) working?

Any hope of getting this (8GB) working?

Hi,

I have a system with an MSI K9NBPM2-FID, running Windows 2003 Enterprise. It currently has 6GB RAM (2x2GB G.Skill and 2x1GB G.Skill, both DDR2-800), and I was given a pair (2x2GB JM4GDDR2-8K) of Transcend memory sticks, which I was hoped that I could use to bring the system to 8GB total.

Unfortunately, I've had no success so far ... Whenever I have the 2x2GB G.Skill and the 2x2GB Transcend in the system, it crashes (boots into Windows 2003, but then randomly reboots).

I've tried swapping the memory among the slots (in pairs), but still no luck.

I've run memtest for hours, including 20 passes of test 5 and test 7, with no errors, but everytime I boot into Windows, it just reboots spontaneously at some point.

I've posted on several forums, and everybody says that the only way to get this working is to buy another 2x2GB of G.Skill (or I guess another 2x2GB of Transcend), but, as I said, I got the Transcend memory (for free ), so I was hoping to make some use of them (actually, the Transcend sticks are new... I had RMA'ed them because of the crash problem, and just got 2 brand new sticks back from Transcend this past week).

Anyway, the reason that I'm posting here is that I was doing some googling, and ran across this thread here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=178820

so I was hoping that some of you that may be more familiar with this memory (and memory in general) could tell me if there is ANY way to get this memory working (the G.Skill together with the Transcend)?

FYI, I checked and the Transcend memory has a "P" next to the barcode.

Thanks,
    Jim

P.S. The BIOS for this mobo has very few settings for memory. I can set memory voltage, and spread spectrum. I don't think that there are any settings for memory timing though...

Solved!!

Hi,

I am really glad to report that I *think* that my problem has been solved !!

What I did was replace the original Antec Earthwatts 500 power supply with an Ultra 750 power supply.

The machine has been up now, for about an hour, and appears to be stable so far (no more spontaneous reboots).

This is with the 2x2GB G.Skill + 2x2GB Transcend memory, total 8GB !!

I figured it'd be useful to report this.

Jim

Xtreme Enthusiast
    well if it gets sketchy again just jam some more voltage at it
    SYSTEM
    i5-3750K @ 4.6ghz - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - 16GB Samsung DDR3 - Sapphire R7 370 Nitro 4GB
    Water Cooling
    EK Supremecy - DDC-3.2 w/XSPC Top -Swiftech MCR320-QP - EK Multioption 150