Thread: Help With Picking a DSLR

Xtreme Member

Help With Picking a DSLR

Ok, first off, I must say that I am a COMPLETE DSLR newbie. My entire photography experience has consisted of using various point-and-shoot cameras.

However, I got some money for my birthday, so I'd like to buy a DSLR. The camera would primarily be used for close up computer pictures, with the occasional sporting event or vacation.

I have been researching entry-level DSLRs, and it seems the best two are the Canon Rebel XSi and the Nikon D3000. I can't decide between the two. I have read that the XSi has slightly better specs, but is it worth the extra price?

I was also wondering if the kit lens is sufficient for computer shoots, or should I buy the body and then a separate lens?

Finally, I would also like a little advice on setting up a small photo studio. I was going to pick up some heavy-duty white paper for the background, but should I also buy a light source? If so, what kind?

Thanks so much in advance!
    Regards,
    Chris

Core i7 920 3931A318 4.4GHz 1.375vcore | EVGA X58 Classified E760 | EVGA GTX470 1280MB | Corsair Dominator GT 7-8-7-20 1688MHz | Heatkiller 3.0 CU and Feser xChanger 480 | Seasonic M12 (Soon to be replaced)

Xtreme Member
    both are good value for money
    i'd suggest you to go to a local photostore and compare the two
    check how it sits in your hand, how the menu's are etc
    don't be afraid to fiddle with all the knobs and switches
    choose the one that leaves the best impression, because the specs are almost identical, the xsi having a slight advantage with live-view
    it's great for macro and product-shooting, which you intend to do

as for the second question, kit lens will do just fine for now
    and check out this thread for some lighting tips: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=241906

hope it helped
    }{ my photoBLOG

Canon 5D | Canon 17-40 F4L | Canon 135 F2L | Sigma 70 F2.8 EX Macro | Manfrotto CXPRO4 | Markins Q3 | Lee filters

Xtreme Addict
    If you want to continue, do some research about lens and such stuff on both manufacturer.

If you want just one dSLR for some time.. or just learn and sell, get Olympus.

Also, used one can give you much more than new one.. (cause you can buy "pro" body and even 2 yrs old is still much better than any low-end today).
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

I am Xtreme
    olympus ? ohhh man, no way... total garbage not worth any price.

XSi D3000 both are good
    personal experience says the XSi but i have played with the D3000 i little. it was nice but the XSi was better and i think if you look around for reviews that directly compare the 2 you'll find the same.

but the truth is you can easily spend just as much on lenses, or more to truly bring out the power of the camera and end up liking both equally.

H2O if you look in this forum section you will see several threads about light sources be it flash or studio lighting. there is a wealth of info in there.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtremeish
    To be honest, try and get a nice 2. hand D60 or a 450D with a kit lens.

If you get more into it there are plenty of nice lenses from Sigma and Tamron that will suite you just fine.
    Last edited by Kallenator; 01-25-2010 at 02:40 PM.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14