Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peltiers - dead and buried ? Or still viable ?

Xtreme Addict
    Camp 1 .. i have a 1 watt tec and i want to use it to cool my 500watt CPU

Camp 2 TEC’s are to inefficient to work

Camp 3 i want to make a TEC unit as cheap as possible
    The fourth camp is - i7 pump out too much heat for a tec to cool, and this is what I keep getting told but without any real proof, thats why I was hoping you might have some test results on your blocks. I can test one for you if you like .... but I would definately have a dedicated Meanwell psu for it.

Quote Originally Posted by zipdogso View Post
    They are worth a good deal....possibly a revival in TEC usage especially the 2 x 50....he has spent ages designing these and there is no reason why they can't handle the higher TDP CPU's with the correct TEC selection....these are worth whatever he charges and since he charges little/nil for his time and they do take hours to mill never mind the hours he spent designing them, they are a bargain.
    I wasnt implying anything .... I just wanted to know the price .....

Well he ships to the UK so since your only in his backwater....
    Yeah I didnt see that, I assumed he was in usa somewhere .....

Last edited by aussie-revhead; 02-19-2010 at 12:02 AM.
    Bencher/Gamer(1) 4930K - Asus R4E - 2x R9 290x - G.skill Pi 2200c7 or Team 2400LV 4x4GB - EK Supreme HF - SR1-420 - Qnix 2560x1440
    Netbox AMD 5600K - Gigabyte mitx - Aten DVI/USB/120Hz KVM
    PB 1xTitan=16453(3D11), 1xGTX680=13343(3D11), 1x GTX580=8733(3D11)38000(3D06) 1x7970=12059(3D11)40000(vantage)395k(AM3) Folding for team 24

AUSTRALIAN DRAG RACING http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFsbfEIy3Yw

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie-revhead View Post
    The fourth camp is - i7 pump out too much heat for a tec to cool, and this is what I keep getting told but without any real proof, thats why I was hoping you might have some test results on your blocks. I can test one for you if you like .... but I would definately have a dedicated Meanwell psu for it.

i know where this comes from HOWEVER as far as i can tell no one has tried to cool a i7 with a reputable block and TEC...

NO ONE will ever win a debate saying my 2x50 watt block with 2 300watt tecs wont cool a i7

A i7 doesn't doesn't get close to 600watts .. so it will work with out a doubt IF implemented correctly it's just a question of how well.
    Last edited by Ultrasonic2; 02-19-2010 at 12:56 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 View Post
    i know where this comes from HOWEVER as far as i can tell no one has tried to cool a i7 with a reputable block and TEC...

NO ONE will ever win a debate saying my 2x50 watt block with 2 300watt tecs wont cool a i7

A i7 doesn't doesn't get close to 600watts .. so it will work with out a doubt IF implemented correctly it's just a question of how well.
    Someone ought to issue a challenge. I'd be interested to see some I7 Tec numbers. LN2 and Dice is one thing... Tecs require some finesseing and a far deeper understanding of electricity than what I have.
    ==========================================
    XClio 1000, Gigabye GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    AMD Phenom II 955BE @3.2 GHz, Noctua NH-D14
    CORSAIR 950TX 950W, 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600
    Sapphire 4850x2 CFX
    Win7 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by stangracin3 View Post
    and the more i type the more BS comes out of my keyboard. LOL

DySfunCtiOnal MeMbEr
    I love my TEC's... My i7 is nice and cool 24-7 at 4.2Ghz... I've been crunching @ about 100% capacity with very little issues.... Good thing I don't pay for my electricity... My power supply is running at about 75-80%... Ooo and my computer keeps my room nice and toasty during the winter months…
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    BenQ FP241W Black 24" LCD
    Mountain Mod Case w/ Base
    Asus Rampage III Black Edition
    i9-990x @ 4.58GHz - 1.36v Temps (Idle 23C - Load 48C)
    12GB Corsiar Dominator GT (PC3 15000) @ 9-9-9-24 1T - 1.65v
    Sapphire 5870 x3 "OC" w/ EK Water Block Temps (25C-49C)
    EK-Supreme / 4 Alphacool Laing DDC-Pump Ultras + Extras
    Power Supply / 2x Silver Stone DX1000
    Western Digital 1.0TB x 3
    Crosair SSD 128GB x 2

World Community Grid!

Xtreme Addict
    More details please malkiewicz, what sort of temps are you getting ? Your sig says up to 54 degrees, is that right ?
    Bencher/Gamer(1) 4930K - Asus R4E - 2x R9 290x - G.skill Pi 2200c7 or Team 2400LV 4x4GB - EK Supreme HF - SR1-420 - Qnix 2560x1440
    Netbox AMD 5600K - Gigabyte mitx - Aten DVI/USB/120Hz KVM
    PB 1xTitan=16453(3D11), 1xGTX680=13343(3D11), 1x GTX580=8733(3D11)38000(3D06) 1x7970=12059(3D11)40000(vantage)395k(AM3) Folding for team 24

AUSTRALIAN DRAG RACING http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFsbfEIy3Yw

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 View Post
    IF implemented correctly it's just a question of how well.
    u dont have a problem with the cooling numbers... your problem tho will lie in the hotside.

Are you aware of how great the block must be to efficiently move away 600+(head load off an i7)

And Where did my pwm thread ghost off too?
    I wanted to get that dude to start it...
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    u dont have a problem with the cooling numbers... your problem tho will lie in the hotside.

Are you aware of how great the block must be to efficiently move away 600+(head load off an i7)

Yeah it will be pretty warm off the hotside...your forgetting that the heat off the hotside is only double the cooling at the operating point (per TEC.) not double the max cooling.
    There is some controversy about how hot i7 really are anyway....I doubt very much indeed the cpu output is any where near 600w.

try using search the list has been cleaned but you will still get it with search.

EDIT - just for you here it is - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=240770
    Last edited by zipdogso; 02-22-2010 at 05:15 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast

since i dont expect you to run the block anywhere near max volts you'll probably have a lower hot side temp than with the 62mm block running at a higher input voltage. and the bigger block will be achieving a cooler cold side temp

Xtreme Mentor
    Yeah it will be pretty warm off the hotside...your forgetting that the heat off the hotside is only double the cooling at the operating point (per TEC.) not double the max cooling.
    There is some controversy about how hot i7 really are anyway....I doubt very much indeed the cpu output is any where near 600w.

try using search the list has been cleaned but you will still get it with search.

EDIT - just for you here it is - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=240770
    I wonder why I7 gets so hot ? maybe because of higher TDP maybe ?

I do know phenom II tend hold a bit of heat with added voltage, then again that maybe due to SOI silicon. though some phenom II can cold bug they will need lower hyper transport for the get around.

the voltages for phenom II are a lot higher then intel's because of resists in the SOI. this could also explain the cold loving as the old SOI wasn't strained as much as this 45nm so imperfections caused the cold to shrink the insulator on 90nm & 65nm. also immersion lithography for higher tolerances.

I'm not totally familiar with bulk silicon

Bulk silicon seems same go's with the voltage but it's at lot more impact able to temperature. they do use HGMK in there 45nm.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Member
    What I would like to know is what the actual TDP of the average 4GHz Core i7 would be. The problem isn't hot per se, it's just that the core i7 seems to dump a lot more heat than the previous generation of CPUs.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    we really have started another can of worms.....goodness me if only......

I wish someone, somewhere could give us a definative answer as to how many watts a top i7 gives off....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's not that hard to calculate. You just need to set up a loop with an i7, a fixed amount of water, a temp probe and no radiator.

I don't know the calculation off the top of my head, but you can measure based on the volume of water and how long it takes to increase 1C. That will give you the heat output.
    Please note: I am not here to provide any kind of official NCIX support on these forums.

For faster (and official) service please contact me at Linus@ncix.com, or please contact our customer care team at wvvw.NCIX.com (Canada) or wvvw.NCIXUS.com (America)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus@ncix View Post
    It's not that hard to calculate. You just need to set up a loop with an i7, a fixed amount of water, a temp probe and no radiator.

I don't know the calculation off the top of my head, but you can measure based on the volume of water and how long it takes to increase 1C. That will give you the heat output.
    I don't think the method is really the problem....it's getting someone reliable to do it.

Xtreme Member
    I'll be testing a i7 975ee on a 24v 400w tec very soon i will report back.

P.S. Ultrasonic I may need one of your 62mm tec blocks soon :P PM me lol.
    Last edited by Elloquin; 02-25-2010 at 04:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elloquin View Post
    I'll be testing a i7 975ee on a 24v 400w tec very soon i will report back.

P.S. Ultrasonic I may need one of your 62mm tec blocks soon :P PM me lol.
    Well we will be interested in your results but as already discussed it is not strictly what we need. What we is the output of an i7 doing it your way using a TEC won't be conclusive due to the variables of setting up and running a TEC - no 2 people will get the same results.
    We want to know the output of an i7....not an i7 with a TEC on it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12