Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Project: OSIDIAS (SFF taken to the extreme)

Amazing Work Man. this Case is looking like a Million Bucks so far, Cant wait for final pics.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    Cant wait dude, cant wait
    Lol. I hope you're a patient guy. We're talking months before completion yet.

Quote Originally Posted by C-J View Post
    Amazing Work Man. this Case is looking like a Million Bucks so far, Cant wait for final pics.
    Thanks man! It's not even to what I would call a 'pretty' stage yet.
    Project: OSIDIAS - CNC by Romaxx
    Losias Technologies & SFF Modding Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowHunter
    dude, stop trying to create Skynet. at this point, the scale goes - metric tons of awesome < epic < overkill < you

Xtreme Addict
    For your dust extractor, you could try mounting it to your Dremel - If you made a clear plastic dust hood to go around the cutting disk you could connect more dust and still see where you're cutting. Additionally you can cut anywhere without having to move the cut under the vacuum hose.

The shape would be like this blade guard:

No problem, I can wait....
    Lian Li PC-A77B, Core i7 6 Core980x @ 4.2MHz (1.4v), Asus MB-R3E, 12GB Corsair Dominator 2000MHz DDR3, Enermax Revolution85+ 1250W, Sapphire 5970 Crossfire, Asus Xonar Essence STX, WD Scorpio Black 320GB, Crucial C300 SSDx2, Laing DDC 3.25 -12V 18 Watt Version x2, Heatkiller DUAL DDC-Case LT Arcyl, Bitspower BP-WBVGA5970AC-BK GPU Block Black w/ Acrylic Topx2, EK EK-FB RE3 - Acetal+Nickel, Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 150, PrimoFlex Pro LRT 7/16" ID (5/8" OD) Black Tubing[/B], Feser X-Changer 360mm Xtreme Performance Radiator, Black IceŽ GT Stealth 240 XFlow Highest Performance Radiator, Enermax "Magma"-Twister Bearing SilentExtreme Operationl 120mm Fansx5, Cooler master Excalibur R4-EXBB-20PK-R0 Fansx2, Cool Master SickleFlow 120 Red LED Fansx7, Kooolance Quick Disconnects, Bitspower Black Matte High Fittings, Dell 3008WFP Ultrasharp 30" Monitor, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, Razer Mamba Mouse, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yngndrw View Post
    For your dust extractor, you could try mounting it to your Dremel - If you made a clear plastic dust hood to go around the cutting disk you could connect more dust and still see where you're cutting. Additionally you can cut anywhere without having to move the cut under the vacuum hose.

The shape would be like this blade guard:
    While that may work, I'm guessing that it might make the Dremel a little hard to control. That's something I'm pretty sensitive about. I've got to have absolute control.

Quote Originally Posted by bladechai View Post

No problem, I can wait....
    That's a good thing, lol. There are some things yet to come that are going to take some thinking to implement. I'm currently working on making an aluminum mold for the interior tray. It's going to be solid CF, and the mold is a puzzler...

dude, stop trying to create Skynet. at this point, the scale goes - metric tons of awesome < epic < overkill < you

Xtreme Member
    Update time! Today we pick up with the start of the interior assembly. Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I've decided to make the entire thing out of a single piece of molded carbon fiber. Since the dimensions have to be perfect, I am going to be using a two part mold. An inner and outer layer, with the CF sandwiched in between. In order to pull this off, I've got to do some very careful measurements, and even better cutting.

I'll be using 1.5mm aluminum for the molds. Here you can see a 4' piece marked down the center. I should be able to get both an inner and outer mold out of this 2'x4' sheet.

Next up I've got to mark out all my cut and bend lines. There is no room for error here. Everything is down to the millimeter.

After the rough cuts were made...

After spending a maddening long time with the aluminum in my metal brake, I was left with the following. Mind you this was a little tricky, since it didn't exactly fit in there very well after the first few bends...

Now it was time to stick it inside the case for a test fit. I had no doubt everything would line up, but it's always a good idea to double check.

Next up is the outer mold. Once that is completed, I'll rub down the aluminum with release wax, and play with a little more carbon fiber. Woohoo!

Also, as of this morning, I've learned that OSIDIAS was nominated for bit-tech mod of the month! I'm honored!

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/mod-...th-july-2010/1

OVERCLOCKAHOLICS
    Congrats on your nomination!! Its always nice to be noticed.

Thanks for the update. This build has been one of my favorites by far.

Xtreme Addict
    If you don't win then whoever decided needs their eyes checking.

Xtreme Addict
    Sub'd for epic SFF.
    \Project\ Triple Surround Fury
    Case:
    Mountain Mods Ascension (modded)
    CPU: i7 920 @ 4GHz + EK Supreme HF (plate #1)
    GPU: GTX 670 3-Way SLI + XSPC Razor GTX670 water blocks
    Mobo: ASUS Rampage III Extreme + EK FB R3E water block
    RAM: 3x 2GB Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback DDR3 @ 6-8-6-24 1T
    SSD: Crucial M4 256GB, 0309 firmware
    PSU: 2x Corsair HX1000s on separate circuits
    LCD: 3x ASUS VW266H 26" Nvidia Surround @ 6030 x 1200
    Games: AoE II: HD, BF4, MKKE, MW2 via FourDeltaOne (Domination all day!)

Xtreme Guru
    looking good, hope to see updated sooner "hint hint"

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Maximus View Post
    Congrats on your nomination!! Its always nice to be noticed.

Thanks for the update. This build has been one of my favorites by far.
    Thank you! It definitely does feel good. There's always some great competition as well.

Quote Originally Posted by yngndrw View Post
    If you don't win then whoever decided needs their eyes checking.
    Lol, I'm doing pretty good in the polls so far. Funny thing is, when I saw I was nominated, I was a little surprised. I didn't think I had nearly enough work done to justify it.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanSmooth View Post
    Sub'd for epic SFF.
    Thanks man!

looking good, hope to see updated sooner "hint hint"
    Thanks bro! I probably won't have an update until later this week. I've got to get some work done on another project with a new deadline.

Xtreme Member
    Keep it coming bro
    looks amazing and great work you have done in that cut's

OVERCLOCKAHOLICS
    Honestly, has to be one of the top 10 builds of 2010. Keep it coming Craig, keep it coming.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul_train View Post
    Keep it coming bro
    looks amazing and great work you have done in that cut's
    Thanks! I always appreciate the compliments from you Soul.

Quote Originally Posted by OC Maximus View Post
    Honestly, has to be one of the top 10 builds of 2010. Keep it coming Craig, keep it coming.
    Thanks bro! I aim to please!

Xtreme Member
    Although Project Hutch has been getting most of my time lately, I was able to get a little work done on OSIDIAS while waiting for some JB Weld to dry... I picked up on the continuation of the molds for the interior assembly. When I last updated, I had the inner mold completed. Now it was a matter of laying out and cutting the exterior. What you see here is another 1'x4' piece of aluminum sheet.

After cutting...

Time to get this thing bent!

Now, to get one of the inside bends done, I had to switch to my 18" brake.

With all of the bends done, it was time to see how they fit together. I slipped the outer mold over the inner, and all was well! I've got about 2mm between them. That should allow for about 6 layers of carbon fiber.

Since I knew the molds were going to work, it was time to reinforce the inner mold against flexing. All I needed was a piece of 2x4 cut down to 8cm in width. The board was aligned and epoxied in place. Final measurements indicate that I got the perfect alignment I was hoping for. The back is perfectly parallel top and bottom, and I won't need to make adjustments of any kind.

Up next I've got to add a few pieces of angled aluminum for mounting tabs, and I'm ready to wax and lay down the fiber!

Xtreme Member
    Nice bends Craig!
    How many brakes do you have?! Is that 18" useful or do you use big one more often?
    rig ::: i5 2500K :: GTX780 :: 250GB + 128GB 840 PRO :: Gigabyte Z77 mATX :: 4GB Ballistix :: Hazro 27" :::
    input devices ::: Topre Realforce 45g TKL :: QFR w/browns :: Zowie EC2 Evo :::
    modding ::: ?PHINIX CUBE? ::: "PHINIX NANO TOWER" ::: "PHINIX AURORA" ::: "PHINIX CHIMERA" :::
    star citizen :::
    ARBITER: Origin Jumpworks 325A LTI

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phinix_mike View Post
    Nice bends Craig!
    How many brakes do you have?! Is that 18" useful or do you use big one more often?
    Thanks Mike! I've got two brakes. A 40" and the 18". The big one is much easier to use, but I have clearance issues on some parts. The smaller will fit almost anything, but it sometimes flexes and lacks enough leverage for thicker materials.

Xtreme Guru
    looking good pal, havent been back in a while lucky u havent updated it to much hehe!

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Member
    looking good pal, havent been back in a while lucky u havent updated it to much hehe!
    Thanks bro! I'll have a hopefully epic update soon. I think I'm mostly prepped for tomorrow. I just have to cut the layers of CF down to size in the morning. I've been running the process through my head. I've got less than 30 minutes to wrap 6 layers around and get the outer mold in place. Realistically I'd like to get it done in 20. That would leave me with time to spare in case adjustments are needed. If the outer layer weren't cosmetic, it wouldn't be so bad, but it has to be perfect. Lol, I'm stressing a little. I do have the molds all waxed and ready to go. I've also waxed and layered a small patch of fiber down on a test piece of aluminum tonight. I want to be sure it releases correctly. If not, that would be messy...

YouTube Addict
    you could save much more space if you use a picoPSU
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    you could save much more space if you use a picoPSU
    I'd save tons of space... but there wouldn't be nearly enough power. The mains system is high end, and the case is packed with other goodies requiring lots of power.

Xtreme Addict
    your tower looks like this ... to this i say good job

WILL CUDDLE FOR FOOD

Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

World Champion - IRONMODS
    Excellent work so far....I'm loving this build

Quote Originally Posted by craigbru View Post
    I'd save tons of space... but there wouldn't be nearly enough power. The mains system is high end, and the case is packed with other goodies requiring lots of power.
    Speaking of which, I haven't seen a parts list....what HW are you going to use?
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sn0wm@n View Post
    your tower looks like this ... to this i say good job

Nice! I hadn't seen that before, but now that you put that pic up, I can definitely see the similarities. Part of my original inspiration came from a RED camera cage I saw quite some time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
    Excellent work so far....I'm loving this build

Speaking of which, I haven't seen a parts list....what HW are you going to use?
    Thanks! I'm going to use my existing hardware for the moment. Granted, by the time this thing is running, I'll be looking to upgrade again. Right now I've got a Silverstone Decathlon 1000 watt PSU, Asus Rampage II GENE, i7 920, OCZ ram, a pair of Saphire Vapor-X 5870's, OCZ SSD's, and a slot load Blu-ray drive. I've also got MIPS, and Heatkiller 3.0 blocks for the board. Then I've got the side LCD screens, the Viliv, two radiators, pump, the Aqua Computer Aquaero, multiswitch, and flow meter, LED strip lighting, Silverstone hot swap SATA connectors, the Via pico-itx (with it's own SSD), Asus wireless access point, 5 port ethernet hub, Bitspower compression fittings, and a Koolance reservoir... That covers most of what I can remember. Lol.

Xtreme Member
    Update time! I actually livestreamed the fiber going down, although it was a huge pain. For some reason I thought it was a good idea to skip taping the edges of the fiber. Needless to say those stray fibers soon became a problem as the layers went down. I managed to keep them out of the way, and got 5 layers on before I ran out of resin. That means I'm a layer short of what I wanted to be. Although looking at the finished assembly, it's likely thick enough, but I'm going to give it one more anyway. I had a little trouble sliding the outer mold in place. The resin kept sticking to the mold and pulling it down with it. Doh, why didn't I wrap plastic around it before the mold?! That would have taken care of the problem, and I'd be done. As it is, now I've got to sand and add the last layer anyway. Mostly for cosmetic reasons mind you. The outer mold caused some wavy weaves because of the sticky resin... and I just can't have that. I'm out of resin though, and will have to order more before continuing.

Well, enough of that. On to the pics! Here I'm using a template to cut out the layers of CF.

Obviously I couldn't take pics while wrapping, but here is the mold all clamped up.

Now it was time to see if that mold wax release was going to do it's job. I had a total of 3 layers on, so I was pretty confident. Success! The outer mold released without an issue. Here you can see the interior assembly in it's freshly released state. There are a few spots that didn't get completely 'covered' with resin, but it's hardly an issue. There was complete saturation and it's damn solid!

Finally, I took the dremel and cut off most of the excess fiber. You can see the interior mold is still in place. There's a good reason for that. It is cut to the exact dimensions that the assembly needs to be. During the final cut down, I'll use the interior mold as a guide to make sure everything is cut correctly. Without it, I don't think measuring out where I needed to cut would have been so fun...

At this point I've got to get some more resin ordered. In the meantime I'll sand down and prep the interior for the last layer of CF. Then I can start making holes in it for all the components and wiring. Woohoo!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast