Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: GF100 Arch unveiled - 512 cores

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LesGrossman View Post
    Really? That's incredible for a card that no one can get, and there's no results beyond nvidia charts and benchmarks.
    You're article is losing credibility by the second.

Oh and 6870 kicks fermi in the nuts.
    I think you need to re-read what SKYMTL posted and not try to falsely read between imaginary lines on what he said... I read it as "pricing will depend on how badly (or not) the card can slaughter a 5870/5970". In other words, if it owns it, then it will be priced higher than if not.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Right now HD 5870 cards are retailing for ~$420 before rebates. Let's assume a $25 price cut right before the GF100 launch and a ~35% - 40% performance difference in DX11 games between the GF100 and HD 5870.

Why in the WORLD would NVIDIA price their card at $399? That's a bad idea from any way I look at it other than through the eyes of a greedy consumer who just wants something to complain about.

IMO, NVIDIA will price their high end card in relation to its performance against the HD 5970 and their slightly cut-down one in relation to how badly it kicks the HD 5870 in the teeth.

Simple as that.

Thanks!
    +1, perfectly stated.

Xtreme Member
    Czech Republic, 50°4'52.22"N, 14°23'30.45"E
    Quote Originally Posted by Luka_Aveiro View Post
    3. The cards will be fast and so good priced AMD will have to lower prices

Why?

Because nVidia needs the money, needs to regain it's lost marketshare, needs to re-conciliate with consumers again, needs to prove they are not full of BS.

That's why.
    On the other hand, it could take some time as by the time mainstream Fermi is supposed to come will AMD sold so many HD 5xx0 cards they won't need to compete drastically. Something similar happend with HD 4xx0, they were getting cheeaper sooo slowly

EDIT: Quotation added

ADD// it looks like this thread becoms bigger every minute like the original one...maybe mods can add every new official info to the first page so it's easier to find it...?
    Last edited by Behemot; 01-19-2010 at 01:37 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by annihilat0r View Post
    We have two clues for real world gaming performance, one is FarCry 2 where GF100 performs around 1.6x GTX 285. The other clue is in the whitepaper/slides, where in HAWX 4xAA scenario, GF100 performs again around 1.6x GTX 285. (I am not talking about 8xAA where GF100 performs a lot better)

1.6x GTX 285 would put this card at roughly 1.2 - 1.25x 5870, which is exactly what's being rumored.
    In that case the 5870 is an even better value... I can't wait for the new nvidia cards to finally come down in price so I can buy another 5870 and CF them.
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Guru
    To be honest with you, NVIDIA can loose money on every GeForce GF100 card they make and still make money from the architecture. They have such a following in the professional graphics world and to a lesser extent the HPC world (which is growing) that the insane margins they make on the Tesla and Quadro versions of Fermi will more than make up for the difference.

Literally, they can leverage the GeForce brand in any way they want in order to stimulate sales of everything from Nexus to Tesla.

Will they do this? I don't think so but it is food for thought.

I am Xtreme
    someone pls do the math for me, how much did a gpu cost in $ per mm2 when 55nm was new (4870 vs 260/280 pls)

i dont see that being a very unreasonable way to know how much these should be priced, so its competitive, while still not costing them.

Xtreme Member
    If this baby has all the awesome goodness it is being hyped to have and is priced well it will mean ATI will have to retreat to the good old tried and true low pricing methods to compete and that will be good. 5870's are too expensive now. I love competion. Good for us poor folks
    "Fanbouyism is a disease we all carry but most have immune systems that keep it at bay. However when coupled with a bad dose of ignorance and Low IQ numbers, this disease can be accelerated out of control to boast insane amounts of irradic, Defensive, or Aggressive behaviour and unexplainable devotion to a product or label whether or not that item is truly deserving" -DR Ima Noober, June 1, 2003

Asus P5QL-Pro
    Kinston HyperX 4x2 gigs 5-5-515@ 1120 mghz
    Q6600 - 3.33 GHZ
    2x Sapphire 4870 1 gig
    Galaxie 850 PSU- this thing rocks
    audigy 2zs gamer
    4x Freezones to cool Proc. Idle @ 10c- Full load @29c(soon to be 5x in my new twelve hundred case)
    Vista ultimate 64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    as an oldschool nvidia fanboy im going to say this... nVidia is screwing up and going to sell a part that is so overpriced that no one will be able to buy it... they wont have a new midrange card... and ATi will still probably be able to pump out cheaper cards for the midrange... i bought a pair of 9600GT KO's the day they were released and before that i had a Sapphire X800GTO2 which replaced my 6600GT, before that i had a GeForce4 Ti4200 and a TNT2m64 32mb before that... NVidia is going to have to release a card that will keep up with todays games at a decent resolution, like 1680x1050, wide open for 200 bucks... ATI did it with the 4890... nvidia NOW has the 260 but when i got my 9600GT's the 260 was the "mainstream midrange card" and would have cost more than i paid for the 9600GT's together...

all i see is nvidia screwing up with another architecture that they cant scale and im fully expecting to see NVidia go under within the next 2 years...
    SYSTEM
    i5-3750K @ 4.6ghz - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - 16GB Samsung DDR3 - Sapphire R7 370 Nitro 4GB
    Water Cooling
    EK Supremecy - DDC-3.2 w/XSPC Top -Swiftech MCR320-QP - EK Multioption 150

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadconeTuning View Post
    im fully expecting to see NVidia go under within the next 2 years...
    you're fully wrong
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    I foresee the future, Ferrari is going down in 2012
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Luka_Aveiro View Post
    I hope GTX360 costs 300$ and GTX380 costs 400$.
    That makes absolutely no business sense for the GF100

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy McShades View Post
    That's exactly what Im saying, now its ATI's turn for delays due to the complicated logic they have to design. What I'm saying is that maybe it was a good thing to get the delays over with when there are few dx11 titles around. When/If ATI hits the same roadblocks that nvidia did designing their polymorph engine it will be at a time when there are more dx11 titles (that possibly use larger amounts of tessellation) around. With logic for high performance microprocessors becoming more and more modular it could possibly be more beneficial to get some of the harder work out of the way early.
    What makes you think ATI is going to stumble on doing tesselation? They've been doing it for a lot longer than Fermi, but haven't updated it very much on the tri/clock. Who's to say that their other R&D teams haven't already laid it out for the next gen?

There's a lot of IF's to your claim that ATI is going to stumble.

It was already stated that the R600 architecture was intended to last 3 generations - and that R900 or whatever they code name it next was going to be on a new architecture. And so far, that's how it has been: R600 -> RV770 -> RV870.

You make it sound like ATI doesn't have more than one team at work here... that would be wrong. The team that made Xenos did RV770 so it's likely the RV870 team was not the same as RV770. They could very damn well be making the RV970 right now, or maybe the next XBOX GPU, etc. which you bet will be built on DX11 up (because honestly the R600-derived architectures were adaptations to each DX group... DX10 then DX10.1 then DX11, not designed from the ground up).
    Last edited by zerazax; 01-19-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    ATi had tessellation ability much before the time of evergreen....
    Last edited by ajaidev; 01-19-2010 at 02:43 PM.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme CCIE
    Well that's the news. The rest is gossip, as covered in the official thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
    maybe mods can add every new official info to the first page so it's easier to find it...?
    Good idea! I'll do that with the links on the front page of the Fermi thread, people can feel free to PM me with other OFFICIAL, NON-RUMOR threads to include.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zerazax View Post
    That makes absolutely no business sense for the GF100
    It did when ATI launched RV770, and they did quite bad... Oh, wait

I know nV is not that kind of girl, but one can hope of...
    Are we there yet?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345