Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking forward to 6 core cpu's

Xtreme Enthusiast
    13.0mm * 18.9mm = 263mm2????

Work/Game System - ~24/7 WCG
    ASUS P8P67 PRO / i7 2600k @ 4.1Ghz / Gigabyte Radeon HD5870 / 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600Mhz 9-9-9

HTPC -~24/7 WCG
    Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 / i7 2600k @ 4.0Ghz / Sapphire Radeon HD5830 / 2x2GB Mushkin Enhanced Essentials @ 1333Mhz 9-9-9

XS WCG Team Forum - http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by FlanK3r View Post
    NEdjo: but Thuban is a bit diferent die, can be maybe a bit smaller size?
    I wouldn't know that!
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom128 View Post
    Good catch. Either one of the dimensions are off or it's a 246mm^2 core.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    I wonder if my next upgrade (From trusty Q6600) should be i5 with dice oc, deneb with ln2 or thuban with whatever that can take and then a 890FX with sata3 and bulldozer support.
    I am really in doubt when I wanna overclock :o prolly depends on how thuban does on ln2
    Desktop I5-3570k, 8GB Ram, GTX 560, Silverstone TJ08-E, Crucial M4 128GB, 750W Silver Power, ASUS P8Z77-M
    Laptop ThinkPad W520 2720QM /2 x 4 GB ram / Quadro 1000M / Crucial M4 128GB + 500Gb Hdd / FHD Screen / Intel WiFi Link 6300 AGN WLAN / 9 Cell Battery
    Laptop 2 New Macbook Pro Retina / i7 QuadCore / 650 GT / 16GB Ram / 512 GB SSD
    Server: Athlon II X4 640, ASROCK K10N78, 8GB Ram, LSI MegaRaid 8 port, 64GB Vertex 1, 5 x 1 TB WD Raid6, 3 x 3TB Seagate Raid5

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom128 View Post
    The 246mm^2 is the size without the test circuits at the edges.

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliverda View Post

The roadmap on the top is the genuine roadmap from the AMD.

I think that the Zosma = Thuban with 2 disabled cores.
    If Zosma is Thuban with 2 disabled cores and the Zosma 960T is 95W
    at 3.3 GHz (Lower power dissipation as Deneb) that would be good news.

It would indicate that power gating removes the idle current (mostly leakage)
    of the disabled cores. Power gating is used in Intel's Turbo mode.

Regards, Hans

I have a question , anybody knows what's "Cool Speed" below magny-cours and lisbon???

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by superrugal View Post
    I have a question , anybody knows what's "Cool Speed" below magny-cours and lisbon???

"The processor provides protection to processor integrity by reducing the power states when it reaches a temperature limit. This will help platform providers in reducing system fan speeds which eventually could result in better efficiency."
    -

Xtreme Enthusiast
    http://citavia.blog.de/2010/01/31/gl...l/1/#c12177024

Saw this on AMDZone. Interesting read about HKMG at GF, I wonder what that is all about.
    Last edited by flippin_waffles; 01-31-2010 at 08:47 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaho View Post
    So selling a 258mm2 Deneb die from 145$ is economical, but a 346mm2 for 400$ isn't.
    Seems to me for simple economic reason they should be selling 6core for 400$ rather than denebs for less than half as much, BTW Intel can charge up to 562$ for the 950.
    With their current server marketshare there should be capacity to drop 6 cores on the desktop.

Last I heard even AMD execs wouldn't buy their own platforms I doubt beside fanboys many cares. Delaying the 6 core cpus for almost a year because of this is really unlikely, especially if it goes against economic reasons. Intel tried several times to establish a platform on the desktop not many could name one, let alone AMD's.

6 core cpu, people who buy platforms won't really need one.
    890 chipset, what difference would it make over the current ones that platform buyers benefit from ? I believe close to nothing.
    5800 series Vga, same as 6 core cpu, people who buy platforms most likely do fine with the IGP.

Unless they have to touch that area because the g34 will use quad channel memory and it needs a little tweaking for optimum performance.

This is not a desktop only cpu, what you don't seem to get that this is the same die they use in the new server cpus which will launch this year and not the ones they did last year. Otherwise it would have been out last summer.

who told you about that? Intel?
    another fallen for Intel's market/court defence strategy .....
    Main Rig:
    Processor & Motherboard:AMD Ryzen5 1400 ' Gigabyte B450M-DS3H
    Random Access Memory Module:Adata XPG DDR4 3000 MHz 2x8GB
    Graphic Card:XFX RX 580 4GB
    Power Supply Unit:FSP AURUM 92+ Series PT-650M
    Storage Unit:Crucial MX 500 240GB SATA III SSD
    Processor Heatsink Fan:AMD Wraith Spire RGB
    Chasis:Thermaltake Level 10GTS Black

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by flippin_waffles View Post
    http://citavia.blog.de/2010/01/31/gl...l/1/#c12177024

Saw this on AMDZone. Interesting read about HKMG at GF, I wonder what that is all about.
    means GF is able to deliver 45nm HKMG chips
    Main Rig:
    Processor & Motherboard:AMD Ryzen5 1400 ' Gigabyte B450M-DS3H
    Random Access Memory Module:Adata XPG DDR4 3000 MHz 2x8GB
    Graphic Card:XFX RX 580 4GB
    Power Supply Unit:FSP AURUM 92+ Series PT-650M
    Storage Unit:Crucial MX 500 240GB SATA III SSD
    Processor Heatsink Fan:AMD Wraith Spire RGB
    Chasis:Thermaltake Level 10GTS Black

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Oh ok. I thought it was something significant when I first read it. but I wonder who could or would use 45nm HKMG. They wouldn't develop it just for practice would they?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123