Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking forward to 6 core cpu's

Xtreme Member
    Olie is dead on.
    Daily Desktop Custom Built - Modified Data General Server Case

Asus M4A79T Deluxe | 955BE C2 Rev | 4GB OCZ DDR 2000 @ 1600 6 5 6 1T | 4850x2 + 4850 w/MCW60 | CPU on H20 w/ Enzo Sapphire l Custom Built Pump and Res Combo 1/2 Gallon! | 4 Swiftech 320mm Rads with 6 All Aluminum Delta Fans with their own PSU - Finger Loppers - for real!

Literally, CPU&GPUs are almost always at ambient therefore heat ain't limiting sh|t.

Xtreme Addict

The roadmap on the top is the genuine roadmap from the AMD.

I think that the Zosma = Thuban with 2 disabled cores.
    -

Xtreme Addict
    I know I am, after a bazillion flip flops with upgrade ideas I settled to wait for a AMD six core upgrade. Will mobos for them have pci-e 3.0?
    I figure since I can still play every game I want with a e4300 and a 8800GTS Why be in any rush to upgrade. I think it will be fun to skip from 2 cores to 6. When it comes down to it, the video card is doing most of the work in gaming anyways. So cheapest 6 core cpu w/ a board with pci-e 3.0 is what I'm gonna grab then OC it. I like doing things old school. Barton 2500+ <3

nice to see Oliverda, thx !
    ROG Power PCs - Intel and AMD
    CPUs:i9-7900X, i9-9900K, i7-6950X, i7-5960X, i7-8086K, i7-8700K, 4x i7-7700K, i3-7350K, 2x i7-6700K, i5-6600K, R7-2700X, 4x R5 2600X, R5 2400G, R3 1200, R7-1800X, R7-1700X, 3x AMD FX-9590, 1x AMD FX-9370, 4x AMD FX-8350,1x AMD FX-8320,1x AMD FX-8300, 2x AMD FX-6300,2x AMD FX-4300, 3x AMD FX-8150, 2x AMD FX-8120 125 and 95W, AMD X2 555 BE, AMD x4 965 BE C2 and C3, AMD X4 970 BE, AMD x4 975 BE, AMD x4 980 BE, AMD X6 1090T BE, AMD X6 1100T BE, A10-7870K, Athlon 845, Athlon 860K,AMD A10-7850K, AMD A10-6800K, A8-6600K, 2x AMD A10-5800K, AMD A10-5600K, AMD A8-3850, AMD A8-3870K, 2x AMD A64 3000+, AMD 64+ X2 4600+ EE, Intel i7-980X, Intel i7-2600K, Intel i7-3770K,2x i7-4770K, Intel i7-3930KAMD Cinebench R10 challenge AMD Cinebench R15 thread Intel Cinebench R15 thread

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow9 View Post
    I know I am, after a bazillion flip flops with upgrade ideas I settled to wait for a AMD six core upgrade. Will mobos for them have pci-e 3.0?
    I figure since I can still play every game I want with a e4300 and a 8800GTS Why be in any rush to upgrade. I think it will be fun to skip from 2 cores to 6. When it comes down to it, the video card is doing most of the work in gaming anyways. So cheapest 6 core cpu w/ a board with pci-e 3.0 is what I'm gonna grab then OC it. I like doing things old school. Barton 2500+ <3
    No. PCI-E 3.0 supported boards (and cards) will only be released sometime in 2011.
    -

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliverda View Post
    You're right...at last. The Istanbul is really not a dekstop only CPU. The Thuban will be an AM3 packaged Istanbul with the latest stepping (probably D2). That's all. You better to beleive it now otherwise you'll be disappointed later.
    good! the more you downplay it the more you'll be surprised
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Mentor
    I know I am, after a bazillion flip flops with upgrade ideas I settled to wait for a AMD six core upgrade.
    you're practically made yourself the legend of the forum when it comes to "flip flop" upgrade ideas
    Will mobos for them have pci-e 3.0?
    is 3.0 standard finalized??
    I figure since I can still play every game I want with a e4300 and a 8800GTS Why be in any rush to upgrade.
    in your case for the sake of rush for just an ide of upgrade
    I think it will be fun to skip from 2 cores to 6.
    I wouldn't be surprised if you skip Thuban ind continue to await for Zambezi

When it comes down to it, the video card is doing most of the work in gaming anyways.
    couldn't agree more!
    So cheapest 6 core cpu w/ a board with pci-e 3.0 is what I'm gonna grab then OC it. I like doing things old school. Barton 2500+ <3
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedjo View Post
    good! the more you downplay it the more you'll be surprised
    I'm too old to beleive in the fairy tales.

AMD is developing two new architectures. Fusion and Bulldozer (LIano and Orochi). I think that they do not have enough resources to develop a third one.

I've just find a nice review: link

...is 3.0 standard finalized??
    Unfortunately still has not finalized: link
    Last edited by Oliverda; 01-21-2010 at 01:00 PM.
    -

Xtreme Addict
    I wouldn't be surprised if you skip Thuban ind continue to await for Zambezi
    What's the real difference? If it means waiting for pci-e 3.0 I will end up waiting. I don't want to have the whole, buy a 1.1 board then 2.0 comes out again cpl months later.

I look forward to Bulldozer in 2011. 32nm and 8 cores sounds like heaven.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Member
    I want to know just one thing : will there be a Bulldozer compatible with socket AM3; will the Leo platform support BD?

I don't want performance estimates, I don't want comparisons of the BD core to UltraSPARC t1, and I don't want predictions on AMD and GF respective futures.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BatteryOperated View Post
    will there be a Bulldozer compatible with socket AM3

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=3673&p=2

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 4009MHz
    NB @ 2673MHz
    Corsair H50 + Scythe Ultra Kaze 3k
    Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
    2X2GB DDR2 OCZ Gold
    XFX Radeon HD5850 XXX @ 900MHz Core
    OCZ Agility2 60GB
    2x500GB HDD WD Blue
    250GB Samsung
    SevenTeam 620W PAF
    CoolerMaster CM690

Xtreme Addict
    What's the real difference? If it means waiting for pci-e 3.0 I will end up waiting. I don't want to have the whole, buy a 1.1 board then 2.0 comes out again cpl months later.
    Just curious, but what does PCI-e 3.0 do that is different? I don't have a clue. If it is just more bandwidth, a 5870 hardly uses 8x bandwidth on 2.0.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

Xtreme Member
    Maybe you haven't noticed the difference between the 258mm2 and 346mm2 sizes.
    I wrote them so probably I did. What you seem to ignore is the quite huge price difference what you could sell these for.

~90nm2 is a pretty big difference in the semiconductor manufacturing and I haven't mentioned the yield rate which is very important.
    Relative to the size not that big difference, and 5 cores could be sold as well and for more than deneb. So your economic reason is shot down.

Anyway the Deneb is a whole different story. They should have to cover the market with cheaper Deneb based CPUs.
    With AMD's low margins, cheap Denebs don't sound me such a good idea maybe you haven't noticed Deneb's die size. Let's really leave this economic reason it's only getting worse.

IMHO now they can sell many Istanbul CPUs (more than Shanghai) so they don't need to hurry to sell these dies cheaper in the desktop segment.
    So let's sell a slightly smaller Deneb for less than half the price, instead of making more 6 cores and sell them for twice as much. They could have better margins with the Thuban with the prices you guesstimated. Simply put they could make more money by selling these than what they make on deneb.

I sadly see that you couldn't understand my interpretation. The desktop market does not need 6 core cpu's yet. They don't have to hurry at all.
    It is hard to interpret what you wrote as what you try to make it sound now.
    Let me copy it here:

The other reason is that the AMD want to launch a complete new platform (Leo) and not only a CPU.

Six-core CPU + 890 series chipset + 5800 series VGA.
    If that's really what you really meant I doubt anyone got what you were trying to say, this must make you even more sad.

But I agree with your new idea.
    The general desktop doesn't need it, but it shouldn't stop AMD from selling it for extra profit. They didn't care much about the market's needs when they tried to sell slow native quads instead of fast native duals. Then I remember AMD was selling FX processors long time ago over a 1000$, that market must have needed those more than these Thubans.

You can't see through this whole platform question. You can buy the platform in parts you don't have to buy it in a complete system.

The platforms demonstrate the company's top products in a whole unit. It has an important marketing part.
    What you seem to forget you used the platform as reason why didn't AMD launch Istanbul 9 months ago on the desktop.
    The marketing reason doesn't really makes sense again, couldn't they use an older processor in the marketing, they have to delay it's launch 9 months to align it with the new motherboards ?
    Strangely the last september launched 5800 gpus seem to fit into the platform. Seems to me the platform reasoning doesn't make sense either.

What kind of tweaking are you talking about? The G34 contains two dies in one package while the C32 contains only one from exactly the same die.
    I am aware of that. Apparently you are sure that the IMC can't take adjustments to work more effectively in that configuration.

You're right...at last. The Istanbul is really not a dekstop only CPU. The Thuban will be an AM3 packaged Istanbul with the latest stepping (probably D2). That's all. You better to beleive it now otherwise you'll be disappointed later.
    It doesn't make sense and neither your simple economic reason or the platform marketing backs it up.

If it's low clockspeed (compared to deneb) what caused they delay I would say possible.
    Now with Thuban's lauch date so close to the new server processor's launch I find it more likely thuban is based on those, than something they launched last year.
    The reason why I think Thuban wasn't launched last year because it didn't perform well enough against products already on the market and they were working on tweaking the 6 core die for the G34 and C32.

Your roadmap backs it up for me. If no improvements were made on the 6 core die why would they release a cut down version on the desktop ?
    It should offer something what makes it superior to Deneb.

BTW it can't disappoint me, after Bulldozer's 2 year delay AMD won't make me believe their roadmaps until they start to deliver on time for a while.
    Thuban is just something to have fun with until sandy and bulldozer, more interesting than socket 1156 regardless of it's performance, if Deneb worth it more that's what I am going to keep.

Xtreme Member
    That is an A+ arrow pointing job.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by tool_462 View Post
    Just curious, but what does PCI-e 3.0 do that is different? I don't have a clue. If it is just more bandwidth, a 5870 hardly uses 8x bandwidth on 2.0.
    people say that about 1.1 and pci-e 2.0. If I can stretch this build out nicely as I have I think I'll wait to get the most bandwidth for the money since a 6core cpu will last me even longer than this e4300

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Bulldozer needs to be kicked through the pipeline faster. Tired of years of Intel domination on top.. Deneb had a short glimmer of limelight and then was buried by D0 Bloomfield Come on Bulldozer, make Westmere look silly

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaho View Post
    I wrote them so probably I did. What you seem to ignore is the quite huge price difference what you could sell these for.

Relative to the size not that big difference, and 5 cores could be sold as well and for more than deneb. So your economic reason is shot down.

With AMD's low margins, cheap Denebs don't sound me such a good idea maybe you haven't noticed Deneb's die size. Let's really leave this economic reason it's only getting worse.

So let's sell a slightly smaller Deneb for less than half the price, instead of making more 6 cores and sell them for twice as much. They could have better margins with the Thuban with the prices you guesstimated. Simply put they could make more money by selling these than what they make on deneb.

It is hard to interpret what you wrote as what you try to make it sound now.
    Let me copy it here:

If that's really what you really meant I doubt anyone got what you were trying to say, this must make you even more sad.

But I agree with your new idea.
    The general desktop doesn't need it, but it shouldn't stop AMD from selling it for extra profit. They didn't care much about the market's needs when they tried to sell slow native quads instead of fast native duals. Then I remember AMD was selling FX processors long time ago over a 1000$, that market must have needed those more than these Thubans.

What you seem to forget you used the platform as reason why didn't AMD launch Istanbul 9 months ago on the desktop.
    The marketing reason doesn't really makes sense again, couldn't they use an older processor in the marketing, they have to delay it's launch 9 months to align it with the new motherboards ?
    Strangely the last september launched 5800 gpus seem to fit into the platform. Seems to me the platform reasoning doesn't make sense either.

I am aware of that. Apparently you are sure that the IMC can't take adjustments to work more effectively in that configuration.

It doesn't make sense and neither your simple economic reason or the platform marketing backs it up.

If it's low clockspeed (compared to deneb) what caused they delay I would say possible.
    Now with Thuban's lauch date so close to the new server processor's launch I find it more likely thuban is based on those, than something they launched last year.
    The reason why I think Thuban wasn't launched last year because it didn't perform well enough against products already on the market and they were working on tweaking the 6 core die for the G34 and C32.

Your roadmap backs it up for me. If no improvements were made on the 6 core die why would they release a cut down version on the desktop ?
    It should offer something what makes it superior to Deneb.

BTW it can't disappoint me, after Bulldozer's 2 year delay AMD won't make me believe their roadmaps until they start to deliver on time for a while.
    Thuban is just something to have fun with until sandy and bulldozer, more interesting than socket 1156 regardless of it's performance, if Deneb worth it more that's what I am going to keep.

Sorry but I got tired about your ideas. The time will confirm everything.
    -

Xtreme Mentor
    I'm too old to believe in the fairy tales.
    sometimes good thing about being old is having more wisdom that tells you to not believe in your own judgments that are based on lack of any solid info
    AMD is developing two new architectures. Fusion and Bulldozer (LIano and Orochi). I think that they do not have enough resources to develop a third one.
    well isn't that why we all love AMD - it never stops beating odds and surprising us
    I've just find a nice review: link
    hehe, Ilya's work... it actually reminded me on the first "preview" of Athlon64 that XBL done with ES of K8 - it showed nothing, and totally misguided people!

Xtreme Addict
    sometimes good thing about being old is having more wisdom that tells you to not believe in your own judgments that are based on lack of any solid info
    These "judgments" are based on simple facts.

well isn't that why we all love AMD - it never stops beating odds and surprising us
    AMD is not equal with dreamworld. I understand that you would like to beleive in some sort of surprise or miracle but unfortunately their possibilities are very limited.

The surprise will be the Fusion and the Bulldozer...hopefully.
    -

Xtreme Member
    Guys, read between lines eh? Few fellow forum users are using those 6 core babes. Thats for sure. Not that i have one, id like to have one lol. Been waiting this 6 core lauch so i can buy one.
    I think first 6 cores has gone on engineers when server 6 cores were lauched. But i think this time AMD has very strict NDA to keep cpu info away long as possible from public.
    A64 2800@ 9x279 # Abit kv8pro 3rd EYE (vtt and vmem modded) # 2x256 mb TwinMos memory( with old winbond ch-5 max:240@3.5v) # 2x256mb KHX 3000 memory (with old winbond bh-5 max:270@3.7v)
    9600 Pro LE with vgpu mod
    Good Job!

Xtreme Member
    These "judgments" are based on simple facts.

AMD is not equal with dreamworld. I understand that you would like to beleive in some sort of surprise or miracle but unfortunately their possibilities are very limited.

The surprise will be the Fusion and the Bulldozer...hopefully.
    I am afraid hope is an indulgence many people can no longer afford.

Every product and subsequent performance prediction beginning with RDRAM to 10ghz Pentium 4, to Fermi, to eVga's wank fest of dual socket1366 board, to AMD Bulldozer, to Playstation 3 CELL processor, to Blizzard's Diablo3 and Starcraft 2... we consumers, especially those of us on XS.com forums want good products, we want to see companies succeed in brgining excellent product to market, but right now, there is a public relations and goodwill deficit deeper and wider then the black hole Sarah Palin calls her brain.
    Last edited by BatteryOperated; 01-22-2010 at 04:49 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    die sizes:

Live Long And Overclock
    There is no need for AMD to bring Bulldozer forward. However, most members will not see the rationale for this because they have yet to see the gains on existing six-core and 12-core architectures when coupled with the bandwith of DDR3 memory.

Perkam

NEdjo: but Thuban is a bit diferent die, can be maybe a bit smaller size?
    ROG Power PCs - Intel and AMD
    CPUs:i9-7900X, i9-9900K, i7-6950X, i7-5960X, i7-8086K, i7-8700K, 4x i7-7700K, i3-7350K, 2x i7-6700K, i5-6600K, R7-2700X, 4x R5 2600X, R5 2400G, R3 1200, R7-1800X, R7-1700X, 3x AMD FX-9590, 1x AMD FX-9370, 4x AMD FX-8350,1x AMD FX-8320,1x AMD FX-8300, 2x AMD FX-6300,2x AMD FX-4300, 3x AMD FX-8150, 2x AMD FX-8120 125 and 95W, AMD X2 555 BE, AMD x4 965 BE C2 and C3, AMD X4 970 BE, AMD x4 975 BE, AMD x4 980 BE, AMD X6 1090T BE, AMD X6 1100T BE, A10-7870K, Athlon 845, Athlon 860K,AMD A10-7850K, AMD A10-6800K, A8-6600K, 2x AMD A10-5800K, AMD A10-5600K, AMD A8-3850, AMD A8-3870K, 2x AMD A64 3000+, AMD 64+ X2 4600+ EE, Intel i7-980X, Intel i7-2600K, Intel i7-3770K,2x i7-4770K, Intel i7-3930KAMD Cinebench R10 challenge AMD Cinebench R15 thread Intel Cinebench R15 thread

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast