Thread: Question for the real hard core 3dmarkers

Xtreme X.I.P.

Question for the real hard core 3dmarkers

Anyone done 400fps in 3dmark2001 Car high yet?

It's almost 10 years old so should be easy meat I would have thought, for all this modern technology.

Regards
    Andy

Admin
    Whoa, there's a name we haven't seen for a while

And yeah, way over. On ATi over 500 isn't that difficult with a good chip. nVidia hasn't done 500 yet, but several have gone past 450.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gautam View Post

And yeah, way over. On ATi over 500 isn't that difficult with a good chip. nVidia hasn't done 500 yet, but several have gone past 450.
    I was looking to buy a small lap top from Pineapple, or was it Apple, and I stumbled upon this site in google.

500, very impressive, was that single gpu then? I always used to think Car was cpu bound but now you say it is gpu favoured between makes, can you explain why?

Obviously I am a bit behind the times

Andy (just visiting)

Tyler Durden

What about the commanche helicopter test in 3dmark2000?
    Formerly XIP, now just P.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Its partly down to drivers. 169.21 and its pretty easy to break 400

Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Admin
    It's a weird ass test, number of gpu's doesn't affect it much, though on nVidia single is a touch better, and on ATi it's the opposite, but it's only a couple of frames if that. nVidia has always been significantly weaker though, and it doesn't help that on the newer drivers, there's some unexplained bug that hacks off about 100 FPS. So all of the top nVidia scores have very low ones, in the mid 300's. It's 100% CPU bound, but somehow the drivers have a gigantic effect. An 8800GTS on an old driver (like 169.21) for example will probably give you a better car high than anything else on the nVidia side. For ATi, a pair of 4870's are best it seems, but I wouldn't be surprised if 2 3870's or something scored the same or higher.

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by EnJoY View Post
    What about the commanche helicopter test in 3dmark2000?
    Too old school even for me

Xtreme X.I.P.
    It's a weird ass test, number of gpu's doesn't affect it much, though on nVidia single is a touch better, and on ATi it's the opposite, but it's only a couple of frames if that. nVidia has always been significantly weaker though, and it doesn't help that on the newer drivers, there's some unexplained bug that hacks off about 100 FPS. So all of the top nVidia scores have very low ones, in the mid 300's. It's 100% CPU bound, but somehow the drivers have a gigantic effect. An 8800GTS on an old driver (like 169.21) for example will probably give you a better car high than anything else on the nVidia side. For ATi, a pair of 4870's are best it seems, but I wouldn't be surprised if 2 3870's or something scored the same or higher.
    That's interesting, of course there is the bug with the barrel in this bench so I wonder whether that is still causing some problems,

I'm still puzzled about why the gpu would have such an effect when this game has traditionally always been the one where the cpu is the be all or end all of everything.

Andy

Wanna look under my kilt?
    IIRC, the barrel is static in Chase High? Orrrr...gently rolling right to left but never hit by the jeep?

Theres also a small inconsistency with the guns in Lobby When he drops his twin machine-pistols, they roll/slide to different places every time.
    Last edited by K404; 01-13-2010 at 03:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by zakelwe View Post
    That's interesting, of course there is the bug with the barrel in this bench so I wonder whether that is still causing some problems,

I'm still puzzled about why the gpu would have such an effect when this game has traditionally always been the one where the cpu is the be all or end all of everything.

Andy
    The barrel causes the range of variation to be about 5-7 FPS in CH, but beyond that lie issues that probably only the driver developers from ATi and nV could explain. :S Though, even in the good old days, ATi was always stronger in cars and lobbies, so that's nothing new.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Preparing yourself for the next shed benching session Andy ?
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

KiSUS
    If I remember right, the "bug" appeared after 173.67 drivers.

Damn, 8600GT faster than GTX285 in CH
    Lights, Music, Camera, Action !

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DeDaL View Post
    If I remember right, the "bug" appeared after 173.67 drivers.

Damn, 8600GT faster than GTX285 in CH
    Well duh! 8600 > 285. Way bigger number, must be a better card

This talk is making me want to go find a cheap 9800GX2 or a pair of G92 8800GTS 512's and play some 01 again
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

I am Xtreme
    Hey Andy,

Long time no see buddy! Just visiting huh?

I have a feeling 01 is getting outdatet more and more these days and Vantage is taking over.

Funny thing is that current state of the art hardware (Core i7 and HD5790 for example) is doing worse than almost 2 year old hardware in 3dm01. (Rampage Extreme with E8600 and Nv GFX card)

Still the best 3D benchmark around imo.
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 8350 | 2x4GB Trident-X 2600 C10 | 2x ATI HD5870 Crossfire | Enermax Revo 1050watt | OCZ Vertex 3 60GB | Samsung F1 1TB

Watercooling: XSPC Raystorm | EK 5870 Delrin fullcover | TFC X-changer 480 w/ 4x Gentle Typhoon | DDC2+ Delrin top | EK 200mm res | Primochill LRT 3/8 tubing

Case: Murdermodded TJ-07

sub 9 sec. SPi1M 940BE 955BE 965BE 1090T

c[_]
    .. nobody ever benches quake 3 anymore lol

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    getting 1000fps avg is fun for a while but then you get bored.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDtung
    We overclock and crunch you to the ground

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by snoro View Post
    getting 1000fps avg is fun for a while but then you get bored.
    Ahhh, nevermind you don't get it... It's not like that dude...

Banned
    A question....is there a better driver for current cards, like the GTX-285 or the 5870?
    I have a GTX-285 and wanted to try my hand at this in my S775 rig before assembling the i7/Win7 rig.
    I didn't realize that the driver played such a big role.
    Last edited by Philly_Boy; 01-18-2010 at 08:49 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by George_o/c View Post
    Ahhh, nevermind you don't get it... It's not like that dude...
    might be because i am too young to even have played quake 3
    Quote Originally Posted by DDtung
    We overclock and crunch you to the ground