Thread: USB3.0 technology pushed to today's limits...

World Champion - IRONMODS

USB3.0 technology pushed to today's limits...

So, the three reviews I've put together on USB3.0 technology are listed here:

Part 1 - First look at USB3.0 aka "SSUSB"

Part 2 – SuperSpeed USB at the Limit!

Part 3 - Asus VS Gigabyte
    Last edited by miahallen; 01-17-2010 at 01:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Banned
    Good report man. Found some interesting stuff in there, especially the part about the NEC chip and PCIE frequency. I have a UD7 board and it's good to know things like that.

Thanks mate
    I can't believe the headache that caused me, I was very glad to find it, and GB didn't have a clue about it.
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Hey if you guys are curious to see how the Asus USB3.0 implementation measures up, please help me out:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=242826

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
    Hey if you guys are curious to see how the Asus USB3.0 implementation measures up, please help me out:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=242826
    No problem here with my ASUS boards running several external hard drives and a new SSD. I can still run a true x16 slot along with CrossFire or SLI while retaining full USB 3.0 capabilities unlike my Gigabyte board.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Al we need now is to do the same testing with the new gigabyte AMD AM3 setups and see if the AMD setup will be better or not.

Hey guys, I just finished up my final USB3.0 article...its posted here and pits Gigabyte against Asus
    http://www.overclockers.com/superspe...us-true-usb30/

Heat Team IRONMODS

I am Xtreme
    When using USB 3.0 is your video card still using x16 lanes? Can you try to copy something and use a simply 3d benchmarking program (rthdribl for example) along with GPUz to verify if you are still using x16 or not?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you read the articles...the answers are there

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Addict
    it's kinda distracting that the colors for GB turbo and Asus are switched on the hdtach chart. this was pretty confusing and i had to check every chart again to make sure i got the right numbers

great write-up though!
    1. Asus P5Q-E / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @~3612 MHz (8,5x425) / 2x2GB OCZ Platinum XTC (PC2-8000U, CL5) / EVGA GeForce GTX 570 / Crucial M4 128GB, WD Caviar Blue 640GB, WD Caviar SE16 320GB, WD Caviar SE 160GB / be quiet! Dark Power Pro P7 550W / Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA / LG L227WT / Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 // SysProfile

2. Asus A8N-SLI / AMD Athlon 64 4000+ @~2640 MHz (12x220) / 1024 MB Corsair CMX TwinX 3200C2, 2.5-3-3-6 1T / Club3D GeForce 7800GT @463/1120 MHz / Crucial M4 64GB, Hitachi Deskstar 40GB / be quiet! Blackline P5 470W

Xtreme X.I.P.
    My goal with this follow up testing, is to answer the following questions:

* What will it take to find the DMI’s limit?
    with that at its core, how could the article not be interesting

nice article mia
    i wish youd cut the text a bit down and remove some not that important details :P
    but besides that, great job!

oh and dont feel bummed by the lack of a clear conclusion of when the dmi bus is saturated...
    what you found out was very useful imo... the dmi bus CAN move quite a lot of data, enough to not significantly impact throughput with even the fastest storage devices today. BUT, loading the dmi bus causes delays and drops in throughput, sortof like minfps, this is might be relevant for gaming...

i never would have thought that transfers would spike and drop like that when the dmi bus gets loaded... so all the work you put into this was def useful!

Quote Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
    Hey guys, I just finished up my final USB3.0 article...its posted here and pits Gigabyte against Asus
    http://www.overclockers.com/superspe...us-true-usb30/
    Hey guys...you missed the bump...this is the follow-up article (part 3).

The one you read was part 2

Quote Originally Posted by RaZz! View Post
    it's kinda distracting that the colors for GB turbo and Asus are switched on the hdtach chart. this was pretty confusing and i had to check every chart again to make sure i got the right numbers

great write-up though!
    Whoa...really, you're the first person to mention it...sorry

Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    with that at its core, how could the article not be interesting

nice article mia
    i wish youd cut the text a bit down and remove some not that important details :P
    but besides that, great job!

oh and dont feel bummed by the lack of a clear conclusion of when the dmi bus is saturated...
    what you found out was very useful imo... the dmi bus CAN move quite a lot of data, enough to not significantly impact throughput with even the fastest storage devices today. BUT, loading the dmi bus causes delays and drops in throughput, sortof like minfps, this is might be relevant for gaming...

i never would have thought that transfers would spike and drop like that when the dmi bus gets loaded... so all the work you put into this was def useful!
    saaya, I'm still not sure about the real story on the DMI saturation...check part three for more info
    Last edited by miahallen; 01-16-2010 at 01:53 AM.

Heat Team IRONMODS

Banned
    Does anyone know if USB 3.0 will support dynamic disks? Windows doesn't support making usb storage devices dynamic therefore raid0 is out the window. Will this remain the same with usb 3.0?

Xtreme Addict
    Great article, thanks for your time and effort!
    i7 2600k @4500 | Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 | Gskill 2x4096Mb 2133Mhz | 4x2TB WD Green RAID10 | OCZ Vertex3 120Gb | 2x AMD 6950 @ Stock
    Benq 24" TN | Samsung LE46C630 "2nd" Monitor | Enermax NAXN ENP850EWT | Corsair 800D Case | Corsair H60 | Logitech G9x + Wireless Solar K750