Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eBay sellers beware

Xtreme Enthusiast

eBay sellers beware

Hey,

I would just like to caution everyone here who uses eBay to sell their various goods. An auction involving an older cellphone of mine just ended, and it turns out the auction winner was a scammer.

I was altered to this fact the following ways:

1) He contacted me after the auction ended and asked what was the condition of the item (Yup, the one he just bought) when it was clearly listed in the item description I provided.

2) He used broken English in his emails. I realize not everyone speaks English fluently, and that's fine, but it was suspicious none the less.

3) He told me that my notification of payment from Paypal was probably in my spam box, "it goes there sometimes", was his explanation.

4) His address was from Nigeria. Now I'm sure many trustworthy people live in Nigeria, but this raised my suspicions none the less. I've heard of a lot of internet fraud horror stories from people shipping their items there.

5) He wanted me to ship the item immediately in the morning using a carrier I had not listed. I listed in the auction I would ship via UPS Ground, he wanted me to ship USPS International Express.

6) I checked my spam box and Gmail actually listed the email as fraudulent. "This message may not have come from whom it claims to be." Thank you Gmail for confirming my suspicions.

7) My Paypal payment notifications were in my spam box. Enough said.

8) The Paypal notification had improper grammer and was arranged like none other I had ever received.

9) Another thing I just realized, he asked me for my paypal address, which is easily accessible from within eBay when you go to pay for an item, and it was to probably put in the email listed below. The nerve! I didn't catch that until right now, way after the situation.

I contacted eBay about this issue, and I'm pretty unpleased with how they handled the situation.

I had to contact them first in order for them to send me an email saying the buyer's account had been hacked, and I shouldn't ship the item.

They also would not divulge any information on how this buyer would be taken care of. Then, when the person I spoke with asked me if she could trasnfer me to some other department, I asked her how this guy would be handled. She then proceeded to ask me for his User ID. It begs the question, would anything have been done if I hadn't asked how this guy would be handled?

If I weren't as vigilant as I am, I would have just been scammed out of almost $200, and that's very unnerving.

I fear there is not enough being done on eBay's side to prevent this type of thing from happening and people aren't being educated enough about fraud either.

Also, his 100% positive feedback ratings were suspicious in nature.

/rant

I hope gives people a warning, please keep an eye out when using eBay!

I'll post the PayPal email for people to see, you should be able to recognize it as fake.

~Mike

Dear Michael (last name, edited out),

This is to inform you that we receive your payment from Richard Bufkin and your payment has been deducted from his/her account ready to be credited to your PayPal account (email address for my paypal address was here, edited) as soon as we receive the shipment tracking number from you today..

We have received the money which is pending in our database and we want you to provide us with the following information as requested by PayPal for verification to protect their customers from fraudulent business transactions.Please note that this payment will not appear in the pending tab in your account until you send the shipment reference number or receipt scan copy to us.

Kindly make the shipment progress within 24 hours in order to credit the money into your account for the transaction as we can not accommodate any form of misappropriations and we have a reputation to protect and do all that is possible to
    increase our business relationship with the international PayPal,
    Worldwide.

This is due to new policies at PayPal to protect both the buyer and the seller in the face of the growing number of fraudulent activities perpetrated via the internet. Your payment is intact. You are encouraged to complete this transaction.
    Here at PayPal you can be assured that your security and safety is our topmost concern..

As soon as you notify us about the package shipping status, we shall deposit the said amount into your account immediately.
    The address you are requested to ship the item to has been confirmed by us.

Thank you for using PayPal online services,

The image

PayPal Team
    Core2Duo E6600 @ 3.0 - Load @ 32c°| Gigabyte P35 DS3P | 2gb Crucial Ballistix Pc2-8500| eVGA 8800GTX| X-fi Fatal1ty | OCZ GameXStream 600w | Custom Watercooled | Custom-built Case

Dtek Fuzion | DD Maze4 Acetal | Swiftech MCR-320 | DD D5

3dMark01 3dMark05 3dMark06 Aq3 SuperPi

Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I don't beleive in passive cooling.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This is the email he sent me after he won, if anyone is curious.

Hello,
    I would like to inform you that i just sent funds into your PayPal Account including the shipping cost,a notification of payment,i guess might have been sent to your PayPal Account,you can check your bulk mail for this....it goes in there sometimes,I would be glad if the item can be mailed out as soon as possible First Thing Tomorrow Morning via poster service to the address specified in the payment notification.Below is a copy of the shipping address once again as i would want you to email me once you have the item mailed.

Name:Tolawo Abideen
    Address:# 37 Obafemi Awolowo Avenue Isale Igbeni
    Stategun State
    City :Abeokuta
    Zip Code:23403
    Tel:+2347079882297

I will want the item to be shipped Via USPS International Express Mail (EMS)

A pleasure doing business with you
    Core2Duo E6600 @ 3.0 - Load @ 32c°| Gigabyte P35 DS3P | 2gb Crucial Ballistix Pc2-8500| eVGA 8800GTX| X-fi Fatal1ty | OCZ GameXStream 600w | Custom Watercooled | Custom-built Case

I've done a number of deals with paypal, and they are far from perfect.
    This...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vice View Post
    Please note that this payment will not appear in the pending tab in your account until you send the shipment reference number or receipt scan copy to us.
    I call BS. I have never had a payment sent that failed to show up upon receiving it.
    It would show up, but might say pending, but never not be listed.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The same with me.

The thing that kills me though is that there are a lot of people out there that use PayPal and eBay, and do not know these things. They get taken advantage of by these people everyday.

Dave's Mentor!
    i doubt you can track in negeria
    i would not ship a 2mb stick of ram there

all paypal and ebay care about is their cut

maximus IV extreme gtx580
    gigabut p67-ud7
    p67 sabertooth
    2500k+2600k
    antec 1200watt
    EVGA classified 760
    920 Batch# 3849B018 4.985ghz@1.52v gtx285 ftw sli
    OCZ3RPR1866LV6GK hypers
    dfi ut p35 rampage extreme
    gigabut p35c-ds3r bios suks
    gigabut x38-d6q dead thank god
    ballistix 8500 1240mhz@2.02v

Xtreme Addict
    Since you have his address; and I assume you have an appropriate sized box; and I further assume you take a CR@P evey now and again. Send him a box.

Last edited by little_scrapper; 01-12-2010 at 09:35 PM.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

Dave's Mentor!
    Quote Originally Posted by little_scrapper View Post
    Since you have his address; and I assume you have an appropriate sized box; and I further assume you take a CR@P evey now and again. Send him a box.
    why waste postage on a scammer

maximus IV extreme gtx580
    gigabut p67-ud7
    p67 sabertooth
    2500k+2600k
    antec 1200watt
    EVGA classified 760
    920 Batch# 3849B018 4.985ghz@1.52v gtx285 ftw sli
    OCZ3RPR1866LV6GK hypers
    dfi ut p35 rampage extreme
    gigabut p35c-ds3r bios suks
    gigabut x38-d6q dead thank god
    ballistix 8500 1240mhz@2.02v

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zsamz_ View Post
    why waste postage on a scammer
    Because it would be worth it to have him be all excited about recieving his new phone and find a big greasy pile instead. Maybe you could rig a spring loaded bottom in there so it launched a goey log right into his freekin eyes!
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

PI in the face
    nigeria = scam 99.9% of the time so even if they are legit I wouldnt send it there
    USPS EMS = you cant even get tracking on it if you wanted to. They dont offer it on that service = you have no proof at all you shipped it and a receipt is not proof enough.

I ing hate bull scammers mother s
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

c[_]
    Little problem with that: he'd get nailed for shipping hazardous materials (a federal offense).

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    I just don't use ebay.
    CPU: Pentium 4(L6SB)> E4500>E6700>E8200>Q6700>i7 920>I5 750>2500K
    GPU: Nvidia Ti 4200>ATI 9800 PRO>Nvidia 8600GT>8800GT SLI>GTX260>ATI HD4870>HD5770>HD6950

Xtreme Cruncher
    It's good of you to pass along info on scams going on, if I ever get off my arse and start selling some stuff off, I might get something like that, thanks!

don_xvi helps find cures for cancer, AIDS and West Nile, among other research !
    Donald A. Perlick helps find cures for Alzheimer's, cancer, and Parkinson's, among other research !

Xtreme Mentor
    Ask him if he knows a Nigerian prince who needs help to get out of the country

I just googled the phone nr the guy gave you and it shows up on 2 dutch forums that are about scammers.

I once sold a camera on a dutch site and got a mail form a guy in Nigeria. He was willing to pay me twice its actual value because he wasnt able to get such a camera in Nigeria. I mailed him a link to a store that would ship to Nigeria.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

Banned
    Jeez another ebay/paypal horror story. I've been stung before aswell.

Around 2 years ago I used to sell quite a lot of hardware on ebay, and for the most part all was well. This changed one day however when I mailed two second hand HDD's to someone. The drives where in perfect condition and only around 6months old. I packaged the two drives in anti-static bags, wrapped them in bubble-wrap and used a spare PSU box I had lying around to parcel them in. I sent the parcel via first class mail (as per the buyers chosen postal method) and obtained "proof of postage" from my local post office just like I always did.

Three days after sending the HDD's I received an email from the buyer stating they hadn't received the drives. I emailed the buyer back and told them I wasn't sure why there was a delay as I'd posted them the next day after purchase. I heard nothing else from the buyer.

Two days later again and I get a phonecall from "Paypals Ireland office" and a very nice sounding young lady explained that the buyer had started a dispute against me as he had only recieved ONE of the HDD's!! How on earth he could only recieve one is beyond me....since both drives where in the one package!!!

Anyway, the point of the story is this......my proof of postage was worthless. "proof of postage means nothing" she said....."you need proof of delivery" she said. Then she went on to explain that this was now only a problem because I had gone over the £500 transaction limit placed on private sellers and now had "buyer protection" placed upon my account. In short this meant that if anyone started a dispute with me for whatever reason, unless I could provide full proof of delivery then paypal would refund the users their money....no questions asked. "As of this moment we have refunded the buyer the money payed for one drive, your paypal account has also been frozen until you place more funds in your account and clear any money owed to us" !!! which was nice of them.

I didn't take all this very well, as I tend to have a short temper with this kinda nonsense. I went on to ask how it could be possible for a single drive to arrive at the buyers address when both drives were packaged together. Now here's the good part....she replied "Well, you know it looks like you've fallen victim to a "buyer protection scammer" ?!?!?! She then went on to explain. "There are groups of users who watch private sellers and wait until they have "buyer protection" added to their account. Then those users purchase goods and insist they never recieved them simply to obtain a refund" !!!!!!!
    I then said "So you KNOW there are people doing this and yet you do nothing to stop it?"........ at which point the air in my living-room went all blue due to the expletives which were being emitted from my mouth.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ebay/paypal themselves setup this con and pay rooms full of foreigners to sit at pc's buying from private seller then opening disputes withthem so ebay/paypal can freeze the accounts.

It's not asif they only scam private sellers either......I remember a guy from this site a couple of years back being well and truly shafted by ebay/paypal. It cost him literally thousands of dollars and left the guy in a very bad position. I can't for the life of me remember who it was but he made a thread about it and a lot of XS members helped him out since he was a solid guy with a lot of respect round here.

IMO ebay/paypal need to die and be replaced with a much more user friendly service.
    Last edited by THOMO; 01-13-2010 at 04:43 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Little problem with that: he'd get nailed for shipping hazardous materials (a federal offense).
    Phht. How? I ship stuff all the time and I have NEVER had to show anyone my identification. Its not like he has to use his real name and address on the customs docs. They dont check them at the post office.

How do I know this? Lets just say that if the question was ever truely asked of me, I would exercise my rights under the 5th amendmant on that one. as you said it is a federal offence.
    Last edited by little_scrapper; 01-13-2010 at 07:13 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Phht. How? I ship stuff all the time and I have NEVER had to show anyone my identification. Its not like he has to use his real name and address on the customs docs. They dont check them at the post office.

How do I know this? Lets just say that if the question was ever truely asked of me, I would exercise my rights under the 5th amendmant on that one. as you said it is a federal offence.
    Just mark it as gift on the customs forms

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

3DMark05: 12308
    3DMark03: 25820

c[_]

Re-read what I said. Nothing about identification enters into the equation.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Re-read what I said. Nothing about identification enters into the equation.
    Fair enough. How would he get nailed for hazmat violation? Do they "sniff the package" hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Kylzer View Post
    I just don't use ebay.
    http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...k&myworld=true

maybe thats why you just dont use ebay any more?

Xtreme Mentor
    yeah i recently was spammed when i tired to sell my 5770, i think you should definitely stay away from using the buy it now option.

but fortunately i dont send the product unless the money clears so it all worked out in the end, paypal has been great for me besides there stupid fees
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

I've bought over 100 items on ebay.

Haven't sold a thing... too risky, IMO. I sell my stuff on forums such as these. I did get burned once, but I learned from it, and thankfully it wasn't a very high dollar item. But still, when you're broke, you kinda want that $30 and knowing somebody stole from you is just...
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylzer View Post
    I just don't use ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maff-o8 View Post
    http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...k&myworld=true

maybe thats why you just dont use ebay any more?
    this makes me laugh, i love when this happens online

busted

Xtreme Cruncher
    That's Meg Whitman for ya! The great mind behind ebay say her ads for governor no?
    @ little scrapper
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

NooB MOD
    Make a phone out of Styrofoam and send it to him
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Wanna look under my kilt?
    I sold an item a few weeks ago.... heard nothing from the buyer and no payment. I opened an unpaid item dispute and a day or so later, I get notification of a Paypal echeque. It came with the warning (from Paypal itself!) "Do not ship until the echeque clears"... because i'd had a whiff of unreliability from this transaction, I waited. The echeque was cancelled the day it was meant to clear.

scamming barstools.
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast