Thread: using 2 routers ( Netgears )

using 2 routers ( Netgears )

Right, I have a number of options with my home network.

I am currently using a netgear DG834PN Moden router and to this, I have my master PC connected to port 1 and the switch connected to port 2 by way of a a 72 foot Ethernet cable. The switch is in my LAN Room, and connected to this switch is my 4 main gaming PCs ( my 3 kids and my No2 PC ) but also a DLink hub too... I rarely need the hub to be used, however, this hub allows me to them also use the other PCs, all on the network.

Now, this way works and to be fair, it works absolutely flawlessly, and while the hub is a llimiting factor, its plenty for me needs as the PCs connected through that are very rarely used anymore, other than tests and so on.

Ok, so what do I want to do?

Well, to put it simply, I have also got a WPNT834 Rangemax Router. This router seems to be pretty much the same device as the DG834PN but minus the Modem bit and added 3 ariels, but anyway.

What I have done, is simply connect the 4 LAN PCs to teh 4 Ethernet Ports, and then connected the extra port to the other router and this is of course how you are supposed to do it, however, this also has the downside of seperating the downstairs PC from the others.... The others are all seeing each other and the internet and thats all well and good, but the master PC thats connected to the downstairs DG834PN cannot see the others.

Now, I have mentioned this to a mate, who says that there is a way that I can use them both so that the WPNT834 Router acts like a switch only and not a router.... Meaning I feel that in other words it turns the 5th Ethernet port into a switch port instead maybe? I dont know?

But can this be done? if so, then can anyone let me know???

I also have the Linksys WRT54G and a DLINK DI-524 and both are Routers minus the modems. if they can be used instead?

Anyway, hopefully you should see what I mean without me waffling too much?

Thanks.

Xtreme Guru
    this guide helped me tremendously, i have two modems and a hub as well.
    http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...w=1#LAN_to_LAN
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Ok, this way will work, and I know this.

BUT...

This way will only work with me only having up to 3 PCs on teh second Router... Using the second router as only a switch of course.

However, I need to have 4 PCs connected to the second router and a 5th PC ( The main one - the one thats also directly connected to the MODEM ), and the way you linked to is NOT useful for my needs.

But thank you for the link all the same.

diagram pls

Ok, yes why not.

Please hang on cos my drawing skills are... Well, lets just say that they are'nt

This is how it is now.
    http://www.fatrakoon.co.uk/network-switch.png
    All PCs see each other just fine

But this way connects the other 4 but they dont see the one on its own, now can it see the others

http://www.fatrakoon.co.uk/network-router.png

Xtreme Enthusiast
    if you can turn off DHCP on the second router, it should behave like a switch.
    my 2¢

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - (Einstein)

hmm ok.

Your mate if essential talking about using the devices to do layer 2 forwarding, but the other option is to turn off NAT on the second router and do layer 3 forwarding.
    So what does this mean?

well you going to have 2 subnets for example 192.168.0.1-255 (/24) on the first router (the one with a modem) and another subnet 192.168.1.1-255 (/24) and the routers route between the two.

Here is a rough outline of what you need to do:
    - (other router) Turn NAT and SPI off
    1) (modem router) change the dhcp server subnet range to something like 192.168.0.10-240
    2) (other router) change the dhcp server subnet range to something like 192.168.1.10-240
    3) (other router) change its LAN address to 192.168.1.1
    4) (other router) give its WAN address a fixed IP address of 192.168.0.2

Enable RIP on both routers (I think they both come with that) if not use static routing.

if you need static routing then on the (modem router) it will need to be something like

192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 -> 192.168.0.2

and on the (other router) (you shouldnt need this bit)

192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 -> 192.168.0.1

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by rogard; 01-13-2010 at 09:59 AM.

Xtreme CCIE
    Or...

Put the switch back, remove the hub, plug a LAN cable from the wireless router into the switch port the hub was in before, turn off DHCP service on the wireless router, and Voila! Everything should work. You'll have the same number of ports as you did when the hub was in there and everything.

I do something similar to that myself. My network has a Cisco ASA 5505 (firewall) w/ 8 ports, and I plug one of those 8 ports into a LAN port of a Linksys wireless router. The ASA provides DHCP service and all my computers (whether wired or wireless) can see one another.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Hmm... yes, turn the WAN port into a Switch port to effectively give me a switch with 5+0 ports instead of 4+1

The thing is, that I have done that but I still get no joy in getting the one PC to talk to the rest of the LAN

I have also been fiddling about with the Linksys WRT54GL and this has the WRT-DD Linux based firmware on it, and that has a definite option to turn the WAN port into a SWITCH port and that too does not seem to be helping at all?

As for the switch, while this works wonderfully etc, its very old and I should have mentioned that the ports are badly worn and that the Ethernet plugs dont keep contact for long and so I will be moving off the switch.

Also in a double, of killing 2 birds with one stone, and that the wireless capabilities of both my netgears are... well, Im not best chuffed lets put it that way and so, Im kind of hoping to make a second wireless point in the LAN room so that I have good wireless abilty when needed in both the Living room and the LAN room. So, a second router ( hell, even a swict hwith wireless capability would be a good idea, but since I already have the stuff then Im trying them first )

Bloody hell Im waffling arent I?

Xtreme Enthusiast

You can only have 1 Master

This is a common problem as most people will only have 1 'Home' wifi router. They do not usually have the firmware to allow you to set them up to work together!

You should only have 1 acting as a DHCP server and the rest should be set to 'Dumb' routers.

The second wifi router should be set to 'Access Point' only.

This will prevent the problems you are having.

I have a couple of the Linksys WRT54G (V1.2 and 2.1) running with the Tomato firmware. This gives you more options in the setup to get them to work together.

I now run a Linksys WRT320 Gigabyte Wifi N router and a simple 8 port router to network my home. Best to keep it simple.
    24/7 PC CoolerMaster CM690 + 7 fans(its HOT as HELL in Shanghai) Intel Xeon E3 1230 3.3-3.7Ghz, 2x8GB DDR3 1600 G-Skill, HD GT630 2GB, Scandisk Pro 256SSD 2x2TB Green, 2x 3TB WD Green Data Drives. HTPC Q8400, EP45 UD3L 4x1GB Gskill6400, 1xWD Black 640GB,2x2TB WD Green, 2xWD 1TB Blue(RAID1), Sapphire 4530 512MB,

Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.

Mitch Ratcliffe, U.S. technology journalist and blogger

Yes, you are correct.

As I said, until now, I was only using the Modem/Router and the switch really... The hub was added simply because the number of PCs kept going up, but in truth, I only really use the 4 upstairs and the one downstairs, so the switch is about as simple as it can be really.

I know Im making it hard for myself... I should just STFU but hell Im so close....

In fact, I have just come back to the living room now... All the PCs can now see each other just fine... The ones in the LAN room can see this one and this can see them.

Only one snag is that while this one is still on the net, the other have lost it.

Now, I remember that I just changed a few things... namely the IPs and so its only a matter or back-tracking, however its now 1:30 am in the UK and I am NOT going to touch it now till tomorrow.

( Where have I heard that one before )

I have saved the routers status anyway just in case )

-----------------

I just went and had another play about and its now connected to the internet.

Must just needed more time or a shutdown & Restart, after last nights piddling.

I then decided to shut absolutely everything down and that way I will know for sure that its done.

Came up fairly quickly and everything is working as it should be. They all have access to each other and they all have access to the internet and this is brilliant.

Again, I am not sure as to exactly what was the turning point, but I will go through it all, getting the IP settings and so on, and trying them on the netgear ( Im using the Linksys right now because it had that option to turn the WAN port into a SWITCH port )

Either way, many many thanks everyone for all the advise / help etc.
    Without the help you gave me, I have no doubt that I will still be running around changing the same settings over and over again!
    Last edited by FatRakoon; 01-14-2010 at 05:38 AM.

Ok, one final update.

I have setup the Netgear WPRT834 Router with the very same settings as the LINKSYS WRT54G ( With the weird Firmware ) but it still will not play like I need it to.
    I tried everything including shutting everything down, but it just wont go? - Im not at all concerned however, it would have been nice but the Linksys is nearly new and I did a wireless test with next door and they are getting a seriously good signal with it, and so Im sticking with that. ( Of course I also kicked them off my network too LOL )

So, my Modem/Router is a NETGEAR DG834PN and the SWITCH / WAP / ROUTER is the LINKSYS WRT54G and everything is happy as a pig in .

Xtreme Addict
    Be sure to overclock the linksys router
    Attached Images Attached Images

World Community Grid's mission is to create the world's largest public computing grid to tackle projects that benefit humanity.
    Our success depends upon individuals collectively contributing their unused computer time to change the world for the better.

Xtreme CCIE
    Quote Originally Posted by FatRakoon View Post
    Hmm... yes, turn the WAN port into a Switch port to effectively give me a switch with 5+0 ports instead of 4+1
    No, I meant just use the 4 LAN ports. I'm not sure you can use the WAN port in the way you're thinking. Use 1 LAN port to connect to the switch, which connects to your routers LAN port.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point