Thread: Asus Memory Question for P6T6 WS

Asus Memory Question for P6T6 WS

My Hardware is:
    Mobo: Asus P6T6 WS
    CPU: Intel i7 960
    GPU: xFx Radeon 5870 (x2)
    HDD: WD VelociRaptor 150GB (boot drive)
    PSU: Corsair 1000w
    Mem: Corsair XMS3 Tri Channel PC10666 DDR3 1333MHz(6gbs)
    Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840 Full Tower
    Liquid Cooling setup

First off, this is my FIRST build ever and wanted to make it my dream computer by buying top notch hardware. I don't know if that was a good idea or not. Overclocking is new to me so any information that could help me will be greatly appreciated!!!

I bought my mobo not realizing that it will only take 1333 memory and anything else will have to be overclocked. I purchase the memory expecting to use the liquid cooling Koolance Plates but they don't fit. Now my memory doesn't have any fans OR liquid cooling and is getting temps of 60c.

I was looking at Asus website and it states:

"6 x DIMM, Max. 24 GB, DDR3 2000(O.C.)*/1866(O.C.)*/1800(O.C.)*/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066 ECC"
    "*Hyper DIMM (DDR3 1800MHz or above) support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs"

I was looking at buying Corsair's Dominator GT 16000 but didn't know if I could use it with my mobo (does anyone know if I could use that memory?).

I spent money on the koolance memory plates and would like to use them, is there anyone that could give me a suggestion on how I could use them for the Dominator GT memory even though they have a heatsink on them? Could I somehow take that off??

Should I buy new memory (suggest one please) OR a way to use the memory that I have and finding a way to take off the plates that are currently stuck on the memory sticks.

PS.... Thanx for all the help and advice. It's really appreciated! !

Xtreme Member
    It should work with your board, I have the same board, and ive got 1600mhz RAM, and I've yet to boot it up as im waiting on my graphics card :/

There should be a way to take off the GT sinks, usually there will be screws under the Waranty void if removed stickers (how ironic), and another one under the classification sticker, well thats how it was on my G.Skill.

Your system is pretty similar to mine, which I am also in my final phase of building, i7 940 @ 3.8, 6GB G.Skill 1600MHz, 60GB OCZ SSD, 250GB WD 7.2k RPM, 1TB WD 7.2k RPM, 1x 5870 (soon to be 2), enermax 1050W, coolermaster cosmos 1000.

Memory doesn't have fans, usually, it relies on airflow from the case. 60C isn't that bad

EDIT: The manual says 1600 Mhz operates only with 3 sticks of ram, so we should be fine