Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA And Audi Marry Silicon Valley Technology With German Engineering

I am Xtreme

Arrow NVIDIA And Audi Marry Silicon Valley Technology With German Engineering

Source: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/

2010 INTERNATIONAL CONSUMER ELECTRONICS SHOW (South Hall 4 – Booth #35912), Las Vegas - Jan. 7, 2010 - NVIDIA and Audi announced today that NVIDIA® GPUs power the navigation and entertainment systems in all 2010 Audi vehicles worldwide.

The navigation and entertainment system in the new Audi 2010 product line is the 3G MMI, and it uses NVIDIA GPUs to process and generate all visual imagery. The built-in navigation system features 3D topography of buildings and cities. This system can recognise complex scenarios and make anticipatory decisions to assist the driver, enhancing their ability to drive more safely.

In addition, NVIDIA worked with Audi to develop a complete multimedia engine called VIVA that serves as the media back-bone of 3G MMI. VIVA allows Audi passengers to watch DVDs, listen to music from an iPod, CD, SD card or USB memory stick and enjoy online video content.

NVIDIA and Audi also worked with Google to enable Google Earth ™ on future 3G MMI systems powered by NVIDIA GPUs, beginning in the flagship Audi A8 in 2011. In addition, the next generation NVIDIA Tegra™ ultra low-power HD mobile processors will drive the advanced entertainment and navigation systems in all 2012 Audi vehicles, as well as other Volkswagen AG brands, including Volkswagen, Bentley, Lamborghini, SEAT and SKODA.
    And you can also play Need For Speed while being stuck in a traffic jam.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Just what we need. More crappy gizmos in cars to distract the driver.

A great system if you're in a parking lot or you use it when you pull over, but who's going to do that?

Life's Replay
    Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post

A great system if you're in a parking lot or you use it when you pull over, but who's going to do that?
    No, you're right. I think cars should also be banned because you can hit people with them. Cell phones too, the radiation might be dangerous. Whilst we're at it, let's ban bath tubs because people can drown in them and knives because I've heard of people getting stabbed.
    Self-proclaimed and convincing.

Intel i5 760 | Prolimatech Genesis CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 480 | Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II GPU Cooler | Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 5 TB+ of storage | Corsair Obsidian 550d | Corsair HX850

13" Macbook Pro

Nikon D90 | Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 Macro HSM | Nikon SB-900 | Braun 5000

Twitter | Life's Replay

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by inCore View Post
    No, you're right. I think cars should also be banned because you can hit people with them. Cell phones too, the radiation might be dangerous. Whilst we're at it, let's ban bath tubs because people can drown in them and knives because I've heard of people getting stabbed.
    Give it a rest. Should idiots who can barely drive be allowed to text or make cellphone calls while doing so? Studies have shown that these types of technologies make sober drivers just as bad or worse than drunk drivers. Did I say anything about bathtubs or knives? Get real.

NooB MOD
    Quote Originally Posted by inCore View Post
    No, your analogy is bad. Rather compare it to target practicing in a public area with a .22 while typing an email.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Member
    Give it a rest. Should idiots who can barely drive be allowed to text or make cellphone calls while doing so? Studies have shown that these types of technologies make sober drivers just as bad or worse than drunk drivers. Did I say anything about bathtubs or knives? Get real.
    I'll go out of my way to agree/disagree. I'm sure whomever spends that kind of hard-earned money on a car with gadgets of the sorts is more likely to be cautious on the road with features like that anyway. Although rich daddy's girl may take it a bit more for granted.
    I'll admit, Ive adjusted my GPS before, and sent out a handfull of text messages while driving, but I'm very careful when doing it, and I'm usually stopped, or following someone going 5mph when doing it.
    Also, notice how its in the center dash, with an open screen that isnt cluttered with readings. They design them that way to keep you looking at the road. I guarantee you, reading a mapquest printout is far more dangerous than one of these units.
    As for the media functions, AWSOME! I like my car because I can keep my friends entertained while I drive. I dont need some silly function that disables video's or route changes if the car is moving, the passengers have fingers too you know.
    my mini-fridge
    MoBo: GA-EP45-UD3P | CPU: Q9550 3.6GHZ @ 1.216v | RAM: 4x1GB 900mhz @ 5-5-5-15 | GPU: GTX 460 900G/1800S/4400M | PSU: Corsair 750TX| HDD's: Seagate 320GB + 500GB, Samsung 1TB | Case: antec p180

I am Xtreme
    ^i know how you feel, my moms infinity has gps built in and only half the commands can be done while driving, yet it has a sensor that turns on the passenger airbag when it knows someone is in there, but the gps dosnt care and assumes its the driver anyway.

there are an excessive number of features to help prevent idiot drivers from killing the rest of us, but honestly theres nothing they can do to stop it altogether, without punishing the rest of the world who understand how to balance mulit-tasking with safety.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Now the world has one more reason to bash nVIDIA for... car crashes/accidents/mishaps
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Member
    Someone who pays a lot of money on a Audi A8 is likely to like driving and have some previous experience. A8 is not exactly the first car you buy when you get your driver's licence. When I see an M5 and a diesel Peugeot on the road, even if the M5 is speeding, I will trust the M5 to have the better and more experienced driver and I will do my best to avoid the Peugeot... it's most likely to be a girl driving it anyway.
    I don't think this alliance is bad. I just wish it was BMW that made this move. We have to consider, by 2011 when this car will arrive to market, HUD's will be mainstream and all premium german cars will have one. The invention of the HUD is the best since sliced bread if you ask me. My car has one and it's great; you barely take your eyes off the road, all the info you would normally search on the dash is projected on the windshield, right in front of you.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    nice gimmick... but why do they limit this to one or a few cars?
    why dont they make it a tomtom like device and offer it in retail?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    nice gimmick... but why do they limit this to one or a few cars?
    why dont they make it a tomtom like device and offer it in retail?
    They have to give us at least some reason to upgrade cars I suppose.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    They probably have a deal with Audi in which they agree to rename their cars every once in a while to make the lineup look new and avoid working on new stuff
    i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz/Maximus IV Extreme
    2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866
    HD5870 1GB PCS+/OCZ Vertex 120GB +
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Corsair HX850/HAF 932/Acer GD235HZ
    Auzentech X-Fi Forte/Sennheiser PC-350 + Corsair SP2500

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i thought audi was already doinhg this for year. They just make one car and then go to the photocopy,chose the size of the resizing they want and then bam ! they have a new audi. Nvidia just dont need to bother with resizing it stuff. So great mind a like goes togheter.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDtung
    We overclock and crunch you to the ground

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by snoro View Post
    i thought audi was already doinhg this for year. They just make one car and then go to the photocopy,chose the size of the resizing they want and then bam ! they have a new audi. Nvidia just dont need to bother with resizing it stuff. So great mind a like goes togheter.
    Exactly my thoughts about the Q5/Q7
    i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz/Maximus IV Extreme
    2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866
    HD5870 1GB PCS+/OCZ Vertex 120GB +
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Corsair HX850/HAF 932/Acer GD235HZ
    Auzentech X-Fi Forte/Sennheiser PC-350 + Corsair SP2500

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If it doesn't support custom voices I don't want it. You haven't lived until you've had Beavis & Butthead or Mr.T guiding you through the mean streets of an unfamiliar city.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by metachronos View Post
    If it doesn't support custom voices I don't want it. You haven't lived until you've had Beavis & Butthead or Mr.T guiding you through the mean streets of an unfamiliar city.
    wow, what does though? i could see a very nice prank by modifying the voices of my friends/families cars

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by terente0081 View Post
    Someone who pays a lot of money on a Audi A8 is likely to like driving and have some previous experience. A8 is not exactly the first car you buy when you get your driver's licence. When I see an M5 and a diesel Peugeot on the road, even if the M5 is speeding, I will trust the M5 to have the better and more experienced driver and I will do my best to avoid the Peugeot... it's most likely to be a girl driving it anyway.
    I don't think this alliance is bad. I just wish it was BMW that made this move. We have to consider, by 2011 when this car will arrive to market, HUD's will be mainstream and all premium german cars will have one. The invention of the HUD is the best since sliced bread if you ask me. My car has one and it's great; you barely take your eyes off the road, all the info you would normally search on the dash is projected on the windshield, right in front of you.
    I gather you're not in the US. I found what you describe to be the case in Europe, but the folks driving expensive ultra luxury cars in the US (at least where I live) are usually the ones that are not paying attention and crashing into people.

--Matt
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Can't wait for my new NVIDIA equipped RS8 to show up on the truck!

/dev/zero
    lol^^

NVidia... the way it's meant to be driven?!
    Hope these can be overclocked. Vmodded navi systems a gonna take overclocking to the next level!
    Xtremesystems.org
    i7-4820K * ryba 2-stager + 1-stager * EVGA X79 Dark * 32G Team Xtreem 2666C11 * EVGA GTX 680 SC Sig. * Intel G2 80G * Corsair HX1000 * Lian Li PC-70B * Watercool Heatkiller, EK Fullcover/Backplate for GTX, MCP355 Dual Setup@Koolance RP-402X2, PA120.3+Alphacool 360, Tubing 16/10.

Xtreme Member

passengers?

Xtreme Addict
    So... Im just wondering here.... Can I set up a nice water cooling system and see how far the core can clock to? Would be fun to draw those nice GPS graphcis at uber high frame rates
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by metachronos View Post
    My parents have John Cleese on their GPS, it's pretty amusing
    Main Rig: Phenom II X6 1055T 95W @3562 (285x12.5) MHz, Corsair XMS2 DDR2 (2x2GB), Gigabyte HD7970 OC (1000 MHz) 3GB, ASUS M3A78-EM,
    Corsair F60 60 GB SSD + various HDDs, Corsair HX650 (3.3V/20A, 5V/20A, 12V/54A), Antec P180 Mini

Notebook: HP ProBook 6465b w/ A6-3410MX and 8GB DDR3 1600

Life's Replay
    No, they shouldn't be allowed to drive and text / make phone calls at the same time. If you're too much of an idiot to understand that you shouldn't touch the GPS if you're endangering yourself and others, you shouldn't be in a car in the first place.

It's the same thing with people being affected by violent movies and video games, it's not the game's fault. If you can't handle it, keep away from them. If you can't drive, don't.

Quick question, why do you ask if you said anything about bathtubs or knives? How is that relevant? Why would I have to specifically rebut only what you said and nothing else?

Quote Originally Posted by Oj101 View Post
    No, your analogy is bad. Rather compare it to target practicing in a public area with a .22 while typing an email.
    Whilst I agree that my analogies were sub-par, they were meant to symbolize that I disagree with the whole trend of banning things. Comparing cars, primarily a method of transport, to firearms, primarily a method of killings things (yes, yes, can be used as a sporting device, blablabla) shows exactly what I think is the problem. The premise seems to be that cars are out there waiting to kill us.

Quote Originally Posted by dietwaterrr View Post
    passengers?
    This too. All of the fancy features are clearly said to be for the passenger. The driver only gets some cool 3D terrain, which shouldn't really be that distracting if you've:

1. Had the car for more than 7 minutes
    2. Ever taken a look outside and notice that the world is, in fact, not a flat surface and a 3D representation kind of makes sense
    3. Reached the age of twelve.
    Self-proclaimed and convincing.

Intel i5 760 | Prolimatech Genesis CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 480 | Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II GPU Cooler | Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 5 TB+ of storage | Corsair Obsidian 550d | Corsair HX850

13" Macbook Pro

Nikon D90 | Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 Macro HSM | Nikon SB-900 | Braun 5000

Twitter | Life's Replay

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dietwaterrr View Post
    passengers?
    It's sitting right where the driver is. When we have cars that can drive themselves safely, then by all means install all the bells and whistles that you want.

Xtreme Addict
    German unreliability is scary. Engineering smearing, our sl500 has been crazy unreliable and our x5 has been burning oil since the day we got it. Audi I heard is the worst compared to BMW and Mercedes, so I would hate to have one. Although the s5 are sexy.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast