Thread: P7P55D-E Delux USB3.0 problems

World Champion - IRONMODS

P7P55D-E Delux USB3.0 problems

I've been trying to work on an update to my USB3.0 article, comparing the Gigabyte's "turbo" feature to Asus's implementation of a "bridge chip".

Problem is, I cannot get the Asus USB3.0 ports to function correctly.
    I've updated the mobo BIOS to the latest release, and I updated the NEC USB3.0 controller to the new firmware, and installed the newest driver available.

But the problem has not changed...when I plug the USB3.0 device into the USB3.0 port, Windows reports that I should change ports to get full performance (just like when you plug a USB2.0 device into a USB1 port). I've also tried Win7 x64 and Win Vista x86...same problem both times.

This leads me to believe it's either a HW design flaw, of simply a bad board.

Anybody else with any USB3.0 experience they'd like to chime in with? I'm all ears
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

When I wrote the Gigabyte article, there was some discussion of how the Asus's implementation would be superior...so I got this to test, but if I cannot get it working, we'll never know....anybody
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
    When I wrote the Gigabyte article, there was some discussion of how the Asus's implementation would be superior...so I got this to test, but if I cannot get it working, we'll never know....anybody
    No problem here with my ASUS boards running several external hard drives and a new 300GB SSD. I can still run a true x16 slot along with CrossFire or SLI while retaining full USB 3.0 capabilities unlike my Gigabyte board. What board are you using and what USB 3 bridge device? The beta bridges from Buffalo and a couple of others had some problems, especially being sensitive to power cycle situations and port assignments.

I've been doing all my testing with this Buffalo device:

Heat Team IRONMODS

Ah...it's working today, sort of...OK...I'll see what I can do. I have no idea what fixed it, but it seems to be functioning in USB3.0 mode now

Heat Team IRONMODS

OK...testing complete...an update to my article will be posted in a few days

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Member
    Nice. Let me know when the article is up. I have the Asus P7P55D-E. I don't have any USB3.0 device yet, but I hope the testing is positive
    Last edited by Pied; 01-13-2010 at 03:47 PM.
    Cooler Master Cosmos S
    Corsiar HX650
    Asus P7P55D-E
    Intel i7 870 (ES)
    4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 12800CL7D
    Intel 160GB SSD
    EVGA 8800 GTX

Mixed feelings ...I'll update when complete

Heat Team IRONMODS

Alright, it has been published here:
    http://www.overclockers.com/superspe...us-true-usb30/

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Member
    miahallen you also should test asus 2nd not very well known implementation i/o levelup on their 2 lower boards. It is similiar to gigabyte's but lacks raid and also the faster mode is only for usb3/sata6g one at a time and not both but I am curious how the performance compares on these boards to gigabyte.
    Last edited by Chrysalis; 06-19-2010 at 09:08 AM.