Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Romour: Top Gear coming to the big screen?

Xtreme Member

Romour: Top Gear coming to the big screen?

Not sure if this rumour has made it across the atlantic yet, but I heard on the radio today that there are plans for a Top Gear movie for 2011.
    The working title is "Around the world in 80 cars".

Rumour has it that the movie will follow Jezza, Captain Slow and the Hamster as they attempt to drive around the world using only whatever cheap run down cars they can buy along the way.

Sounds promising!
    Desktop :-AMD Ryzen 1800X | ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | 16Gb Corsair LPX | Asus Strix Fury | Corsair MP500 480Gb (OS/Apps), Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb (Steam), WD Caviar Green 2Tb (Data) | Lian Li PC-09 WRX | Superflower Leadex Platinum 1600W | Win 10 Pro x64
    Notebook :-Alienware M17x R4 | Intel i7 3630QM | 8Gb DDR3 | AMD Radeon HD 7970M 2Gb | Crucial M4 512Gb | Win 7 Pro
    Media PC :- AMD Sempron LE 1300 | Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-SH2 | 780G chipset/Radeon HD3200 | 2Gb OCZ PC2-6400 | Crucial V4 128Gb | LG GGC-H20L | Win 7 Pro
    Storage :- Windows Home Server 2011 | Chenbro ES34069 | Intel DH67CF | Pentium G620 | 4Gb Corsair Vengence LP DDR3 | Sandisk Ultra 120 Gb SSD (OS) | Highpoint RocketRAID 640 + 4 WD Caviar Red 2Tb RAID 5 (Data)

Xtreme Mentor
    sounds cool
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Sounds like fun, hopefully it's true
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Enthusiast
    they could just show the damn show on us cable

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Machinus View Post
    Use a torrent. The videos online show more than the ones that air on TV. Frustrating but it works.
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ Intel i7 3770k
    ░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░ ASUS GTX680
    ░░░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▀▀▄░░░░░ ASUS Maximun V Gene
    ░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░█░░░░ Mushkin 8GB Blackline
    ░░░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░█░░░░ Crucial M4 256GB
    ░░░▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░█░░░ Hitachi Deskstar 2TB x2
    ░░█▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒█░░ FSP 750W Gold
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ Fractal Arc Mini

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    The adventures they have with cars a few car lengths away from the scrap heap are the best. I'd watch a 2 hour movie in the theater if they can make it happen.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Its usually on BBC America, but they are around 1-2 seasons behind.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Use a torrent. The videos online show more than the ones that air on TV. Frustrating but it works.
    ?

Thanks, I've already seen all the episodes. That's not the point

Xtreme Addict
    Top gear has got a bit crappy, It is so contrived, Everything is set up.

Xtreme Addict
    That woud be totally ----ing awesome.

I love Top Gear, but you guys are right. I kept noticing that anytime anything funny happened on the last episode it happened on purpose, instead of at least looking like an accident....
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

2,147,222 F@H Points - My F@H Statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=Conman%5F530

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Am I right in thinking that they cut out the 'star in the reasonably priced car,' segment for American TV?

I don't think BBC America will give up Top Gear. They don't have an abundant of great exclusives (I really struggle to think of BBC shows that work outside the UK. The majority of good programming is comedy which doesn't always translate very well and why would americans want to watch third rate crap like spooks when it just doesn't compare to series like 24.) so whenever they get one they wont sell it to other stations. If they did this then no one would tune in and they wouldn't make any ad revenue. Thats one of the contributing factors why there was an American remake of the Office.
    Last edited by Chris_redfield; 01-10-2010 at 07:53 AM.

Life's Replay
    Oooo, sounds like fun. The last episode of Top Gear was the worst in the history of the universe though.
    Self-proclaimed and convincing.

Intel i5 760 | Prolimatech Genesis CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 480 | Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II GPU Cooler | Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 5 TB+ of storage | Corsair Obsidian 550d | Corsair HX850

13" Macbook Pro

Nikon D90 | Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 Macro HSM | Nikon SB-900 | Braun 5000

Twitter | Life's Replay

Xtreme Enthusiast
    BBC is the best network in the world. I wish we could watch it in USA. Our TV is pathetic compared to it

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by inCore View Post
    Oooo, sounds like fun. The last episode of Top Gear was the worst in the history of the universe though.
    It was pretty bad, but the South America special was freaking epic.
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

2,147,222 F@H Points - My F@H Statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=Conman%5F530

Xtreme Cruncher
    BBC is the best network in the world. I wish we could watch it in USA. Our TV is pathetic compared to it
    I guess you missed my post then, where I said its available on most if not all Cable and Satellite networks in the US as BBC America.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    I guess you missed my post then, where I said its available on most if not all Cable and Satellite networks in the US as BBC America.
    BBC offers many channels in Britain. I did not miss your post.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Actually the BBC kind of sucks in the UK. They have over-stretched their license fee with too many channels in a desperate bid to stop the Americanisation of our culture. Unfortunately with lots of channels comes the need for a lot more content, which they just can't muster up. There are no great big action drama's like 24, no cool murder mystery programs like Dexter.

Cbeebies and CBBC are great ideas because the amount of cartoons that children watch are american, just because the sheer amount of choice of american programming from Nickelodeon, the disney channel (pushing Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers, I'm sorry but when was it cool to force sex on our children and force them to grow up years before they had to. If terrorists really wanted to stop America from contaminating the rest of the world with their culture they would have flown planes into Disney Land.) And Cartoon Network. Unfortunately the cartoons and programmes on CBBC and Cbeebies are really preach and don't muster up to the same quality of the stuff on cartoon network and Nickelodeon. Nick's not too bad, at least they have the odd program with british actors like King Arthur's Disasters, Mr Bean (animated and live action,) and Genie in the House.

The area where the BBC really excells at though is in making its programmes available online in an on demand capacity. The iPlayer is the best thing ever to happen to the internet imo and you can even watch it for free on your PS3 and Wii (360 can't do it, if you want to watch tv on that, like most things related to microsoft you have to take out a subscription, but with Sky, a company that so many brainless morons love, despite their crap customer service and high price just because they have got pretty much got a monopoly on the football. And for some reason, in this country you have to love the football, if you don't your a queer or worse a foreigner. God I hate Rupert Murdoch, I also fear him to because he is an Australian with the ability to affect UK election campaigns.)

I seriously believe that the iPlayer is the future model for the way in which we watch future tv. BT's Vision TV subscription TV service in the UK works pretty much that way at the moment. There are no channels apart from the freeview ones, you just pick what you want to watch and watch it. Virgin's cable service has quite a lot of on demand stuff, and Sky... well sky has a bit now and then but at the moment they could put out just three hundred channels showing the same endless footage of Margaret thatcher giving john simpson a BJ and no one would care because they have the football and you are paying £100 a month for all the channels and at that price it must be good.

Off the top of my head the only great programs the BBC has are Charlie Brookers Screenwipe... some episodes of Dr Who are amazing, and well top gear can be fun. Good comedies also come and go in short bursts, most recently in the thick of it has come along and brightened up my life.
    Last edited by Chris_redfield; 01-12-2010 at 03:30 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    BBS has david attenborough, horizon, and lots of other fascinating, educational, brilliant programming about REAL LIFE. All Americans do is watch fake shows about fake life and it keeps them ignorant and out of touch with the problems that exist in their own country, much less the world.

The "news" shows in the US are complete bull - they are just fantasy. They are all hype and demagogues, and there is no intelligent, educational programming on the networks. Even the discovery channel has become about personalities, "reality"-style television instead of actual reality.

BBC is one huge reason why the British population can get away with making fun of Americans for being ignorant. They have at least one source for reliable, intelligent programming. America's relationship with television is ing it.

Ker-Pow !
    Last season of top gear was utter tripe, with the exception of the south american special. I think on one episode they didnt even get the stig to take a car round the track. They were try hards basically.

Xtreme Cruncher
    sounds like it would be amazing

personally i could never put up with driving "accross the world"

Q9300 [Crunch] / XFX GTX285 [Fold] / EVGA 750i
    Two 250GB 7200 / 4GB XMS2 800 / 1Kw XPS PSU / Freezer Pro 7
    10,797 3DMark Vantage / Scythe 120mm Case fans / Vista U. 64
    PS3 - 700 Work Units and going strong!, XPS 720 H2C Case
    Crunching 24/7 on Q9300....might upgrade to an i7

Muslim Overclocker
    Quote Originally Posted by {GOD}Raptor22 View Post
    That woud be totally ----ing awesome.

I love Top Gear, but you guys are right. I kept noticing that anytime anything funny happened on the last episode it happened on purpose, instead of at least looking like an accident....
    Yeah of course everything is setup, I have realized this from the beginning.

That doesn't stop it from being the best car tv show.. in the world

Every other car tv show i have seen is pure garbage in comparison.

My watercooling experience

Water
    Scythe Gentle Typhoons 120mm 1850RPM
    Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator
    Enzotech Sapphire Rev.A CPU Block
    Laing DDC 3.2
    XSPC Dual Pump Reservoir
    Primochill Pro LRT Red 1/2"
    Bitspower fittings + water temp sensor

Rig
    E8400 | 4GB HyperX PC8500 | Corsair HX620W | ATI HD4870 512MB

I see what I see, and you see what you see. I can't make you see what I see, but I can tell you what I see is not what you see. Truth is, we see what we want to see, and what we want to see is what those around us see. And what we don't see is... well, conspiracies.

Xtreme Addict
    I was annoyed about the insignia vxr review, They could not say anthing bad about it so get james may to review it and just talks about fing road signs, It has been known for sometime that ford pays for top gear.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    BBS has david attenborough, horizon, and lots of other fascinating, educational, brilliant programming about REAL LIFE. All Americans do is watch fake shows about fake life and it keeps them ignorant and out of touch with the problems that exist in their own country, much less the world.
    The thing is though the BBC are increasingly catering more and more to the reality tv crowd with shows like Strictly come dancing and dancing on ice. They do a huge amount of trash. And the news programming from the BBC isn't elevated much higher than the sensationalist american news channels. A lot of the BBC's journalists have actually gone to work for al jazeera just because they are bias and the government keeps trying to influence them.

I had forgotten about David Attenborough's programs (he was master controller of the BBC as well for a while years ago.) But unfortunately, whilst the BBC air documentaries like this, they also seem intent on doing nonsensical documentaries about the perfect shaped breasts, and the perfect shaped penis on BBC 3 which are just an excuse to legitimately have boob and shots on telly.

Quote Originally Posted by gallag View Post
    I was annoyed about the insignia vxr review, They could not say anthing bad about it so get james may to review it and just talks about fing road signs, It has been known for sometime that ford pays for top gear.
    That can't be completely true. I mean Clarkson absolutely panned the Ford GT when he bought one and they couldn't sort out the security alarm and it kept going off.
    Last edited by Chris_redfield; 01-13-2010 at 02:23 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_redfield View Post
    If terrorists really wanted to stop America from contaminating the rest of the world with their culture they would have flown planes into Disney Land.)
    There are no terrorists......and the BBC is the British governments TV channel.

Anytime a GOVERNMENT runs a TV station they use it for propaganda....end of.

Did you like the BBC reporting building 7 had collapsed an hour before it had?

Ker-Pow !
    BBC was the Blair broadcasting corporation and is now the Brown Broadcasting Corporation....apparently... ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast