Thread: Atom N450 Overclocking Adventures! (CPUz vaildation)

Xtreme Member

Atom N450 Overclocking Adventures! (CPUz vaildation)

before i start, there is no extreme cooling method here. please mods move this if needed.

I recently purchased a MSI Wind U130 cause my laptop died and i wanted something to tide me over. Also this is running the new Atom N450 CPU. I looked around after purchase and found no one who has pushed this new chip, so thought i would go adventure myself. See what it has got!

First thing was to open the machine itself, fit a 1gb DDR2 module in so i could have 2GB memory. Next was to find the PLL chip on the other side of the PCB. This reads:

ICS 9LPRS113AKLF

From here i found that setFSB had that one in it's library of clock generators. First hurdle was at just 7fsb higher, i was getting lock ups.

I then discovered there is a link between this and the pci-e clock, so for reference, here is the superpi 1M time on stock with 2GB of memory

And here is my result so far. the key limiting factor again being the pci-e frequency but also adjusting the PLL N and PLL M is making a impact as well

And finally to verify that i am legit, here is a CPUz validation as well

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=933556

Hope you like the results. Not mind blowing i know, but this is all cooled on the stock cooler and just two ram-sinks stuck on top. Netbook is still fully screwed shut and no signs of changes!

Oh, and any tips on things to push further will be appreciated. I think some Hexidecimal editing will be in order, so long as everything works with that as well.

- Paul
    Intel Q6600 (0738) @ 3.6Ghz (1.45v)
    Abit IX38 Motherboard
    4GB Memory (2x Team Elite / 2x OCZ Plat)
    2 x HD 4850 512MB Crossfire
    2 x 200GB Maxtor 10 Drives (RAID 0)
    LG IDE DVD-RW Lightscribe drive
    2 x LG SATA DVD-RW drives
    Custom waterloop - low end
    X-Fi XtremeGamer Soundcard
    Logitech Z-2300 Speakers
    Silverstone TJ09 Silver + Window Case
    Jeantech 700W Storm PSU
    Windows Vista Premium 64-Bit Retail

Xtreme Member
    Okay. I ddn't think anyone would want any more info, but it seems when people are searching N450 overclocking, i come up top, lol

In the post above, you have the ICS chip you need to know. In SetFSB you will need to increase the PCI-e as well as the FSB, otherwise it locks up very early.

I used the following

210 FSB
    127.5MHz PCI-E

Now i also use 2GB of ram in my netbook, so the embedded 1GB and a seperate 1GB stick. Above this i can get it to get a screen, but nothing stressful.

And to a couple of emails, yes. This was doen on the stock volts. I looked into the voltmods, then i remembered it's a Atom and decided against it.

Well hope that clears up some questions. Anymore, please post and i will see what i can do - Paul
    Intel Q6600 (0738) @ 3.6Ghz (1.45v)
    Abit IX38 Motherboard
    4GB Memory (2x Team Elite / 2x OCZ Plat)
    2 x HD 4850 512MB Crossfire
    2 x 200GB Maxtor 10 Drives (RAID 0)
    LG IDE DVD-RW Lightscribe drive
    2 x LG SATA DVD-RW drives
    Custom waterloop - low end
    X-Fi XtremeGamer Soundcard
    Logitech Z-2300 Speakers
    Silverstone TJ09 Silver + Window Case
    Jeantech 700W Storm PSU
    Windows Vista Premium 64-Bit Retail

Smile Read it and weep :)

This is the clock speed I can get with barely any difference in temperature and very very stable

Viva La Revolución!
    Last edited by sjac89; 05-11-2010 at 03:40 AM.

Hello there, iv tried setting the FSB through setFSB but nothing worked, it either freezes or gets s PLL error, or doesnt change the clock speed at all
    i have a HP Mini 210 with the intel Atom N450 1.66 Ghz
    can anyone help?