Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nexus One

Xtreme PITA to MM

Nexus One

does anyone here have a nexus one yet?

i really want one for Tmobile but it seems you have to sign up for a new plan to get one for the $179 that im willing to pay.

anyone know any way around this?

more info here....

www.google.com/phone

it is made by HTC but comes branded as a google phone.

tbh you may want to wait. there appears to be an internal radio issue that htc and google are trying to resolve.

my understanding is that this is a google product, sold exclusively by google...not on tmobiles website or sold in their stores. even existing tmo customers are having issues getting the phone as an upgrade at the 180 price.

the phone, by all accounts ive seen, is way better than anything else
    wtb an 'i'

Xtreme Addict
    I doubt there'll be any way to get around paying $180 without switching plans. You can wait for a while, a long while, for the price to go down.

Regardless, if you're on t-mobile, the best phones to have are: 1) Nokia N900, 2) HTC Nexus One, and 3) SE Xperia X10 (whenever it comes out)
    These phones are all $500+

Other phones are just not anything special (or don't have the t-mobile 3g bands).

BTW OP, nice city, i'll be heading back up from Sugar Land this saturday.

Xtreme Addict
    If you're eligible for an upgrade on your T-mo plan, you can now purchase the phone for $280...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitseries3 View Post
    does anyone here have a nexus one yet?

i really want one for Tmobile but it seems you have to sign up for a new plan to get one for the $179 that im willing to pay.

anyone know any way around this?

more info here....

www.google.com/phone

it is made by HTC but comes branded as a google phone.
    change your plan to the $79 one then buy the phone for 180 then switch back to your old plan, but youll need to add data plan if u didnt have one before. btw call tobile 611 from your phone and tell them u want the 79 plan to get the nexus, after u get it call back and change your plan

I've got one. Had it for a while now - great phone. My only issue is its battery life. Of course, that can be extend by turning the screen brightness down, killing applications after using them, etc. But you're definitely going to charge this phone every 1-2 days.

As far as I'm aware (at least here in the UK), you can only change your plan after 6 months with an 18 month contract, and after 3 months with a 12 month contract. So whatever you do, you will be cashing out for this phone.

I cancelled my N900 pre-order for this phone, and I have to say; I'm not regretting it.
    R2E
    920 @ 4 GHz

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronYuri View Post
    I've got one. Had it for a while now - great phone. My only issue is its battery life. Of course, that can be extend by turning the screen brightness down, killing applications after using them, etc. But you're definitely going to charge this phone every 1-2 days.

As far as I'm aware (at least here in the UK), you can only change your plan after 6 months with an 18 month contract, and after 3 months with a 12 month contract. So whatever you do, you will be cashing out for this phone.

I cancelled my N900 pre-order for this phone, and I have to say; I'm not regretting it.
    Interesting I though AMOLED+1400Mah will be excellent...

How much do you get by full load(ie watching movies, surfing with 3g..)?
    Q6600@4.0GHz,500gb hard (7200.12, single platter),4GB Mushkin ram@1100 cl5, corsair520w hx(modular), ATi 4870 1GB oc840/950(3800)

Looks like it's making it's way to Verizon.. finally.
    http://www.intomobile.com/2010/02/26...izon-soon.html

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've got a nexus one, and gave my 3gs to my girlfriend. Great phone.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronYuri View Post

having GPS on the phone for the apps kills batteries extremely fast. like you said...have to charge it every day.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMdHERsoftware View Post
    having GPS on the phone for the apps kills batteries extremely fast. like you said...have to charge it every day.
    That sounds about the same as my iPhone 3G... I had to charge it pretty much daily. I've kept my battery in good condition (no overcharging it), and had the phone for almost a year, but I recall having to charge it once a day.

That being said, my iPhone kicked the bucket. I'm considering buying a Nexus One (unfortunately at the full $529). I'm on AT&T, and I'd probably switch to Verizon, but I have over a year left on my contract, and the termination fee wouldn't be worth it.

So, has anyone had this phone? I'm not sure what the OP ended up buying, but the Nexus One seems pretty awesome.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    [QUOTE=AaronYuri;4208441]I've got one. Had it for a while now - great phone. My only issue is its battery life. Of course, that can be extend by turning the screen brightness down, killing applications after using them, etc. But you're definitely going to charge this phone every 1-2 days.
    QUOTE]

lol.. blackberry user much? these phones have screens 2x the size of other phones lol.. i have moto droid im happy if mine makes it thru the 8 hour work day lol. same with the htc droid makes it about 12hours on one charge.

no big deal as im not expecting crazy batterylife just crazy useable phone

Xtreme Guru
    I have a Moto Droid running CyanogenMod 5.0.5.3 running at 1GHz. So it's essentially a NexusOne with a keyboard. I thought I would get tired of this device but I honestly enjoy it more the more I use it. Android is such an amazing OS. I wish they would release a desktop OS.
    STARSCREAM
    3570k @ 4.6 GHz | Asus P8Z77-V LK | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | ASUS GeForce GTX550 Ti
    Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Corsair Force GT 120GB | SK hynix 128GB | Samsung 830 64GB
    WD Black 640GB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i
    Corsair AX750 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 | Antec P280 | Dell Ultrasharp U2410 | BenQ XL2420T
    ROCCAT Savu | Filco Majestouch-2 TKL w/Cherry MX Reds
    MEGATRON
    3770k @ 4.5GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
    SK hynix 128GB | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB | WD Red 3TB (4) | Seagate 7200rpm 3TB (2)
    WD Green 2TB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i (2)
    Corsair AX650 | Corsair H80i

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itznfb View Post
    I have a Moto Droid running CyanogenMod 5.0.5.3 running at 1GHz. So it's essentially a NexusOne with a keyboard. I thought I would get tired of this device but I honestly enjoy it more the more I use it. Android is such an amazing OS. I wish they would release a desktop OS.
    How is the stability with the overclock? And how does it effect battery life?

I've been debating between rooting mine or not; I'm kind of tired of waiting for the officialy 2.1 update and the customization the custom ROMs offer are really appealing...

Droid > Nexus one
    EVGA E758 A1
    Core i7 920 @ 4ghz
    6gb DDR3 1600 OCZ Gold
    XFX 6870CF
    Corsair TX850
    Cooler Master HAF 932
    Water Cooled

Xtreme Addict
    Unfortunately, the Droid is out of the question for me. I actually have one I got from a friend, but again, it's Verizon, so I can't use it (I'll probably sell it to get some cash toward whatever phone I get).

Having it, however, has let me play around with Android, which I think is pretty awesome. The Droid's keyboard is a bit too small for my liking, but having used an iPhone for the longest time, I'm fine with no hardware keyboard.

Anyways... I'm going to see about getting my iPhone fixed as it's under warranty (but no AppleCare), so I have a feeling they'll want to charge me some unreasonable sum for repair. We'll see, I guess.

u could go for a dell aero they should be out soon, if u want to stay with ATT (no idea on if the hardware is good but i would expect a snapdragon)
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Actually... After calling Apple, they were surprisingly helpful, and hopefully will accept my iPhone and not say the warranty is voided after getting it (it's jailbroken, so they'll probably declare that the cause of it breaking and void my warranty), but hell, it's worth a shot, right? I have nothing to lose at this point. Maybe I'll luck out.

Anyways... If they do fix it, I'm considering selling it and then paying the difference to buy a Nexus One. The iPhone 3G isn't as nice of an experience as the iPhone 3GS/Droid... The hardware is slow compared to the Cortex A8 or Snapdragon.

Plus, after using Android, I really love it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You do realize there's a GSM Droid. It's called the Milestone. To use it on AT&T you need to get the Telus Milestone imported from Canada. It costs an arm and a leg. I have one. I also have a Nexus One for AT&T. One of the phones will be leaving me soon.... and which one is it? The Nexus One. Yeah.

- Bad RF
    - Bad earpiece/speaker
    - Dust issues

GONE. I'll deal with a locked bootloader (until the modding community hacks it) and a slower CPU over a phone that can't even make calls.

Edit: BTW how'd your iPhone die? Or what do you mean by it hit the bucket? You can unjailbreak (assuming it's in a half usable state )

Intel Core i7 930 @ 4ghz | Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | 6GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Radeon 4850 | Crucial m4 128GB SSD
    Intel Core i5-2400 | Asus P8H67-M EVO (Waiting to change to Z68) | 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 | 8x2TB Samsung F4-HD204 | OpenIndiana | ZFS raidz2

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    u could go for a dell aero they should be out soon, if u want to stay with ATT (no idea on if the hardware is good but i would expect a snapdragon)
    unless they made changes to the mini's specs its going to be a Qualcomm ESM7206A. also the screen on it uses a 262k color scale which might not matter to most but i find it disappointing

Im going to have to see if my bro will try that cyanogen mod. thats pretty cool. The question was asked about battery life but what about performance. I assume pretty good improvement

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo580 View Post
    You do realize there's a GSM Droid. It's called the Milestone. To use it on AT&T you need to get the Telus Milestone imported from Canada. It costs an arm and a leg. I have one. I also have a Nexus One for AT&T. One of the phones will be leaving me soon.... and which one is it? The Nexus One. Yeah.

- Bad RF
    - Bad earpiece/speaker
    - Dust issues

GONE. I'll deal with a locked bootloader (until the modding community hacks it) and a slower CPU over a phone that can't even make calls.)
    Oh, I'm aware the Milestone exists. I considered it, but it's pretty much the same price as the Nexus One. Not only that, I've heard it only runs on EDGE if you have AT&T... Can you confirm that? No 3G is kind of a dealbreaker for me.

Edit: BTW how'd your iPhone die? Or what do you mean by it hit the bucket? You can unjailbreak (assuming it's in a half usable state
    Recently, the lock/volume-up buttons stopped working (very rarely they'd work), and now it no longer even powers on. I'd normally hook it up to my PC via USB to power it on, but it's just dead. Tried everything.

I dropped it off at the UPS store to be sent back to Apple today. The whole RMA process was actually extremely smooth, and I was really impressed. We'll see if they actually accept my request for replacement/repair.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ExodusC View Post
    Oh, I'm aware the Milestone exists. I considered it, but it's pretty much the same price as the Nexus One. Not only that, I've heard it only runs on EDGE if you have AT&T... Can you confirm that? No 3G is kind of a dealbreaker for me.

Recently, the lock/volume-up buttons stopped working (very rarely they'd work), and now it no longer even powers on. I'd normally hook it up to my PC via USB to power it on, but it's just dead. Tried everything.

I dropped it off at the UPS store to be sent back to Apple today. The whole RMA process was actually extremely smooth, and I was really impressed. We'll see if they actually accept my request for replacement/repair.
    1) Ah, like I said, 95% of the Milestone sales out there are the Euro/Asian variant. You are limited to EDGE on those because they run on UMTS 2100mhz which is not what the US uses for 3G. 5% of the Milestones out there are Telus branded or some Latin America version. Those feature 850/1900mhz frequencies which are the same as the AT&T 3G bands. The regular Milestone is cheaper than the Nexus One by a bit I think.

I did mention the Telus Milestone cost me an arm and a leg. $650. Yes. $650. The N1 for AT&T kinda came as a surprise in terms of the date, so I guess it's not worth it anymore, but there was a reason the HTC Hero went for $500+ and the Telus Milestone went for $650+. There were no other Android options that worked on AT&T 3G. LOL. BTW, to me the Nexus One's 3G is useless. I'm more of a battery guy so I usually use 2G for most of the day except when I surf/do whatever. The N1 on 3G is useless because its RF is so weak that it'll fight for that 3G signal all day and you could possibly waste your whole battery like that. Maybe if I worked in an area with very strong 3G signal this wouldn't be an issue.

I also mentioned I have both phones on me. I'm returning the N1 because poor RF and terrible earpiece volume are dealbreakers for me.

Intel Core i7 930 @ 4ghz | Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | 6GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Radeon 4850 | Crucial m4 128GB SSD
    Intel Core i5-2400 | Asus P8H67-M EVO (Waiting to change to Z68) | 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 | 8x2TB Samsung F4-HD204 | OpenIndiana | ZFS raidz2

Xtreme Addict
    1) Ah, like I said, 95% of the Milestone sales out there are the Euro/Asian variant. You are limited to EDGE on those because they run on UMTS 2100mhz which is not what the US uses for 3G. 5% of the Milestones out there are Telus branded or some Latin America version. Those feature 850/1900mhz frequencies which are the same as the AT&T 3G bands. The regular Milestone is cheaper than the Nexus One by a bit I think.

I did mention the Telus Milestone cost me an arm and a leg. $650. Yes. $650. The N1 for AT&T kinda came as a surprise in terms of the date, so I guess it's not worth it anymore, but there was a reason the HTC Hero went for $500+ and the Telus Milestone went for $650+. There were no other Android options that worked on AT&T 3G. LOL. BTW, to me the Nexus One's 3G is useless. I'm more of a battery guy so I usually use 2G for most of the day except when I surf/do whatever. The N1 on 3G is useless because its RF is so weak that it'll fight for that 3G signal all day and you could possibly waste your whole battery like that. Maybe if I worked in an area with very strong 3G signal this wouldn't be an issue.

I also mentioned I have both phones on me. I'm returning the N1 because poor RF and terrible earpiece volume are dealbreakers for me.
    After looking, I see some unlocked Telus Milestones (lightly used, it seems) floating around on eBay for around $500.

I still feel like at that price point, I'd be better off with a Nexus One. It's hard for me to resist the hardware in that thing.

Regardless, I have to (hopefully) get my repaired iPhone back before I can do anything.

Xtreme Addict
    Well, first off, Apple definitely shipped me a replacement phone. It's coming Monday before noon (they did express overnight shipping) to my home address (the Apple tech advised me not to attempt to ship to my university's mailing address). It's apparently not my old phone, but either a new or refurb one (people have reported getting both; hopefully I'll get a new one).

If it's new, I'll probably put it up on eBay. New iPhone 3G 16GBs go for $425 new and locked. If I could unlock it (doubtful, as I'm sure it'll ship with the latest firmware/baseband firmware) it could go for even more.

Now... My earlier post was incorrect. After double-checking the 3G bands on phones up on eBay, the majority are indeed the European versions. There are some Telus phones with the North American 3G bands, but as you said, they're all $600+.

People have reported getting their Droids to 900MHz+ stable, and getting pretty much the same battery life. The Nexus One does have the Snapdragon, and twice the RAM, as well as the fact it's cheaper. However, the more I play with the Droid, the more I am getting used to the hardware keyboard and form factor.

It's a tough choice. Anyone have an opinion?

Xtreme Addict
    I don't think I've ever triple posted, but this phone is COOL.

I just got mine today, along with the dock and a spare battery. The dock is awesome. I can play music from my Nexus One over Bluetooth to the dock, which is connected to my speakers.

Google and HTC did a bang-up job on this thing. I'm seriously impressed.

Edit: Did I mention it's fast? I mean, really fast!

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
    How is the stability with the overclock? And how does it effect battery life?

I've been debating between rooting mine or not; I'm kind of tired of waiting for the officialy 2.1 update and the customization the custom ROMs offer are really appealing...

Droid > Nexus one
    Super late reply!

Stability and battery are no different. I'm currently running the Stock OTA 2.1 with Pete's root built in and Chevy's 7 slot 1.1GHz kernal. Awesomeness. Battery seems to last a lot longer with only 3 home screens as opposed to 5 or 7.
    STARSCREAM
    3570k @ 4.6 GHz | Asus P8Z77-V LK | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | ASUS GeForce GTX550 Ti
    Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Corsair Force GT 120GB | SK hynix 128GB | Samsung 830 64GB
    WD Black 640GB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i
    Corsair AX750 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 | Antec P280 | Dell Ultrasharp U2410 | BenQ XL2420T
    ROCCAT Savu | Filco Majestouch-2 TKL w/Cherry MX Reds
    MEGATRON
    3770k @ 4.5GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
    SK hynix 128GB | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB | WD Red 3TB (4) | Seagate 7200rpm 3TB (2)
    WD Green 2TB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i (2)
    Corsair AX650 | Corsair H80i

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast