Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Win7 God mod

Xtreme Cruncher
    I don't see why this is useful :/ The fastest way to get to any advanced options that you can't get to through 2-3 clicks in the control panel is the Run window.

I'd imagine this is hidden for the same reason that Administrative Tasks is fairly out-of-the-way in control panel by default - so average joe can't break his installation.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah, this "hit" the 'net back in January. Even CNet managed to get ahold of it....

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10423985-56.html

YouTube vid showing how to enable it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpifM8Q8yIk (Jan. 8)
    Last edited by Humminn55; 04-23-2010 at 02:57 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
    Well this was news to me! Like this layout better, I still have trouble finding stuff quickly in the cpanel compared to XP altho I've used Win 7 for over a year. I just don't seem to adapt to the newer GUI layouts like MS Office 2007 or Vista/Win 7 layouts compared to XP/2000 etc (takes more than twice as long to find the stuff for me usually so it's counterproducting to me). I'm the guy that would prefer everything to be found under dropdown menus.
    thats cause in vista and win7 all the options are very decentralized... i really dont like that...

Quote Originally Posted by joshd View Post
    I don't see why this is useful :/ The fastest way to get to any advanced options that you can't get to through 2-3 clicks in the control panel is the Run window.
    lets say i want to disable shadows of desktop icons, right?
    thats desktop properties, so youd expect it to be accessible through a right click on the desktop in some menu, but no...

start->right click on system->proberties->advanced system settings->advanced->performance->settings->scroll down, and there, hidden in a menu far far away between dozens of settings, it is...

so then lets adjust the distance between desktop icons, their background color, or their size... same thing right? properties of the desktop... but no, its a different menu and hidden in a completely different place

right click on the desktop->personalize->window color->item->icon spacing etc...

how are people supposed to find this stuff?
    theres no tutorial, theres no help entry about this, there is help for this when searching... i dont get it... for a company with a few dozen THOUSAND coders plus god knows how many external coders in india, you would think they could come up with an easy to find and use options menu for the desktop, no? or at LEAST create a tutorial on how to use it, or even a search entry with a quick text guide on how to do it which would take like 1-2 hours to write up and implement MAX!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    I'm not joking. As was said, in Vista x64 this can cause a system crash.
    lol wtf

Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Pretty useful for those who didn't know about it nonetheless.
    yeah, i figured id get flamed for posting old news, but since there was no thread about this, i thought hey, as long as its new and useful for one person thats worth to post about it

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
    Well this was news to me! Like this layout better, I still have trouble finding stuff quickly in the cpanel compared to XP altho I've used Win 7 for over a year. I just don't seem to adapt to the newer GUI layouts like MS Office 2007 or Vista/Win 7 layouts compared to XP/2000 etc (takes more than twice as long to find the stuff for me usually so it's counterproducting to me). I'm the guy that would prefer everything to be found under dropdown menus.
    You just don't go to the Control Panel, you just hit the start button and start typing what you need and viola there you have the settings pane you needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshd View Post

I'd imagine this is hidden for the same reason that Administrative Tasks is fairly out-of-the-way in control panel by default - so average joe can't break his installation.
    It's even faster to just start typing in the start menu search box, no need to do it through the run dialog.
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    thats cause in vista and win7 all the options are very decentralized... i really dont like that...
    I'd say the options are a little too centralized for some. I like the way the Control Panel is configured in Vista and Windows 7 though, it makes it much easier to find something for me.
    EDIT: Let me clarify that a little, I mean to say that the Control Panel is a little too centralized, not necessarily the options in general.

BTW for changing the shadows of your desktop icons, just hit the 'Windows' key, type 'shadow' and then hit enter.
    For changing the icon spacing just hit the Windows key, type 'metric' and then hit enter.
    The problem with these things though is that you have to know what to search for. The search box in the start menu is useful, but it's no Google.
    Last edited by Helmore; 04-23-2010 at 03:24 AM.
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Xtreme Member
    I just tried this on my Vista x64 laptop, it caused Explorer.exe to crash and restart repeatedly making the system unusable. I had to use a command prompt to delete the folder so it would stop crashing.

Xtreme Addict
    its really useful, and its only a few days old
    If a few days means more than a year then yes, it's a few days old.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalten View Post
    I just tried this on my Vista x64 laptop, it caused Explorer.exe to crash and restart repeatedly making the system unusable. I had to use a command prompt to delete the folder so it would stop crashing.
    oh, sorry man... i added a note in the first post...

Quote Originally Posted by Helmore View Post
    BTW for changing the shadows of your desktop icons, just hit the 'Windows' key, type 'shadow' and then hit enter.
    For changing the icon spacing just hit the Windows key, type 'metric' and then hit enter.
    The problem with these things though is that you have to know what to search for. The search box in the start menu is useful, but it's no Google.
    well then whats the point of the search function if you have to know what exact word to search for to get the result your looking for?
    it works pretty well with some stuff, but microsoft really has to work some more on it... i dont get it btw, how come they have such an awesome engine with bing, supposedly, but their search in windows is rather dull?

i had too google around a lot to figure out how to customize windows7 to the point that i like it and didnt consider it a step backwards in functionality over windows xp...

Last edited by saaya; 04-23-2010 at 04:46 AM.

just read about it... has any of you guys used it?
    I couldnt find a thread about this... but its really useful, and its only a few days old, so i figured id post about it here...

go to your desktop, create a new folder, rename it to:

and then double click it...
    nothing hidden or special, but all the shortcuts are really useful at adjusting windows settings...

EDIT2: DO NOT TRY THIS ON VISTA 64! itll crash explorer
    EDIT: oh it works on vista too btw, and on xp you can get it working with a hack/tool...
    funny that MS managed to keep this a secret for so long...
    more importantly, why? i really dont get why they are hiding this menu, its so convenient...
    this should be the first menu that pops up everytime somebody installs windows...
    Old news is old.

Ah That's right, it did crash Vista-64. I heard about this 1-2 years ago in the development circle for vista. That's why it was disregarded back then due to crashes with Explorer.
    My Rig can do EpicFLOPs, Can yours?
    Once this baby hits 88 TeraFLOPs, You're going to see some serious $@#%....

Build XT7 is currently active.
    Current OS Systems: Windows 10 64bit

Xtreme Addict
    thats desktop properties, so youd expect it to be accessible through a right click on the desktop in some menu, but no...

start->right click on system->proberties->advanced system settings->advanced->performance->settings->scroll down, and there, hidden in a menu far far away between dozens of settings, it is...
    Remember, MS is making Windows more "user friendly." This typically means throwing efficiency out the window in order to get a nice flow of next, next, next menus instead. After all, that's what people want. User friendliness is directly proportional to the number of clicks required to perform a task. The more clicks, the more friendly it is.

I am Xtreme
    yeah old news is old.. and the vista 64bit crash is a fun thing... good times back in december 2009.
    Last edited by Hornet331; 04-23-2010 at 05:27 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by randomizer View Post
    Remember, MS is making Windows more "user friendly." This typically means throwing efficiency out the window in order to get a nice flow of next, next, next menus instead. After all, that's what people want. User friendliness is directly proportional to the number of clicks required to perform a task. The more clicks, the more friendly it is.
    Less actually.

Windows key, type, enter.

You can do anything administrative this way.
    Open any location.
    Open any program.
    Change any setting.

User friendly, less clicks:

Jump list, open any recently opened shiz by holding the click and dragging up.
    Navigate to desktop with one click on the bottom right.
    Resize any window to half size without dragging and scaling.
    Pinning programs to the start bar.

I really can't be bothered typing more, safe to say. You failed. Miserably failed.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Less actually.

Open any location.
    Open any program.
    Change any setting.

I really can't be bothered typing more, safe to say. You failed. Miserably failed.
    oh come on, dont be so rude
    as for me... i prefer muse navigation over typing tbh...
    i really like shortcuts like alt tab, windows key+F for search, +X for mobility center, +D for desktop, alt F4, shift+alt+end for high contrast mode when im outside and the sun is shining and i cant see shoite, ctrl to show a visual radar ping to show me where the mouse pointer is at, f11 in firefox for fullscreen mode...

but yeah, i still like mouse browsing a lot... especially mouse gestures...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well, it's new news for me, so thanks, Saaya. It's a PITA to remember all the commands name to type in the run box so this is pretty useful.
    Murray Walker: "And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's McLaren as he enters the Swimming Pool."

James Hunt: "Well, that should put them out then."

Xtreme Member
    Gigabyte EP45 UD3P bios F4
    QX9650 C0 L739A778
    4X2 G'Skill 8000 bpq
    under water......clocks to come

It's news to me. Good find.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict

Open any location.
    Open any program.
    Change any setting.
    That is exactly what I do (in fact the start menu search is the one feature added in Vista that I actually found added value over XP, alot of value). But if this was truly the user friendly way of doing things, why then do we have a control panel full of 4-level-deep menus? Because the majority of people consider clicking madly through menus to be "user friendly." The most efficient way of doing almost anything is by typing, which is why the command line will never disappear. Nobody likes the CLI though, it's not "user friendly".

Fanboy of Good Products
    Less actually.

Open any location.
    Open any program.
    Change any setting.

wow you're rude.
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme Member
    another worthless thread just to increase post count..gotta get 12 a day somehow
    I control my hardware
    My hardware does not control me

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by shoota View Post
    wow you're rude.
    It's no problem. It's the second time tonight that someone has gone on the defensive over an operating system. Less than an hour ago a Linux user went into holier-than-thou mode when I wasn't even talking about Linux.

All I need is an OSX user to defend their software from some perceived threat and I've done a hat-trick.

Xtreme Member
    yo randomizer
    osx is the best .
    are you clueless or what.............

hat-trick

j
    QX9650 C0 L739A778
    4X2 G'Skill 8000 bpq

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoota View Post
    wow you're rude.
    You realize that the op claimed that this was new info in his first post then brushed off complaints by saying he knew it was old. This is valuable info but not news and doesn't belong in the news section. I think it's fair to to give the op a hard time when he's posting just for the sake of posting.
    i5 750 @ 4.2ghz
    EVGA P55 FTW
    8gig G.Skill Ripjaw @ 1055mhz
    Gigabyte 6950 modded
    Seasonic X-650
    Antec P180 modded and watercooled
    Thermochill PA160
    Apogee XT
    MCP350

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetroho View Post
    yo randomizer
    osx is the best .
    are you clueless or what.............

hat-trick

j
    <offtopic_mode>
    osx has the worst mouse movement in any os
    </offtopic_mode>

Xtreme Member
    mouse movement , mouse movement..........I dont need no stinking mouse movement.

j
    QX9650 C0 L739A778
    4X2 G'Skill 8000 bpq

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by squishee View Post
    another worthless thread just to increase post count..gotta get 12 a day somehow
    come on man! its really useful, and i didnt know it was that old...

Quote Originally Posted by RVWinkle View Post
    You realize that the op claimed that this was new info in his first post then brushed off complaints by saying he knew it was old.
    it was one of the top news stories on yahoo.de this morning, which linked to computerbild, germanys biggest computer magazine, and their story was new as well... since they mention that it works in vista as well i suspected that it might not be fresh... so i searched on xs and couldnt find any thread about this in the news section, so i figured i just post it here since it doesnt seem to be too old...

Quote Originally Posted by RVWinkle View Post
    This is valuable info but not news and doesn't belong in the news section. I think it's fair to to give the op a hard time when he's posting just for the sake of posting.
    pff, why would i do that? posting for the sake of posting? do you think after almost 10 years on this board and 30.000 posts i give a damn about post count? all it does is get me comments like this

your right though, i didnt know it was THAT old, so ill ask a mod to merge it to the old thread in the OS section (where itll probably die and nobody finds out about this neat control panel, but im tired of complains :P)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast