Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Intel i5 6XX and i3 5XX Reviews

Xtreme Member
    Just us when and where AMD Thuban is coming. now.

Xtreme Addict
    What I want to know is if there is going to be something like a hybrid SLI for this?

I travel a lot, and like to game. So I got a laptop now with a decent GPU but the battery life is horrible for when I actually use it for work.

If there was a hybrid SLI, or just some way to disable the power hungry GPU then I would be so down for upgrading to a new laptop with one of these.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Addict
    I think people seem to be entirely forgetting about the notebook sector.

i5 desktop might not be great but the notebook reviews are glowing.

http://www.mobileedgeblog.com/2009/0...tops-sales-up/

80 percent of retail US PC's solds are laptops and that number is growing. Penryn already beat AMD mobiles parts by 30 percent and have much better matter life. Add on top arrandales beat penryn by 20-50 percent and has the same battery life, AMD is seriously going to take a pounding. i7 notebooks were never really a threat for AMD, however i5 and i3 is essentially game over for AMD mobile market. AMD has the worst mobile marketing department so it can only drop AMD notebook down to netbook pricing levels to control the damage.

The sad thing is a mobile phenom II architecture is a generation behind to keep up with arrandale(and it isn't even out yet) and and it's going to be the only product AMD can release for a while. AMD needs a mobile breakthrough fast.
    Last edited by tajoh111; 01-04-2010 at 11:02 PM.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Addict
    Or they should just not bother with mobile for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    I think people seem to be entirely forgetting about the notebook sector...... e(and it isn't even out yet) and and it's going to be the only product AMD can release for a while. AMD needs a mobile breakthrough fast.
    +1

As i said the mobile i5's/i3's make a lot of sense. The added modes such as the GPU turbo is very useful and since its a laptop the igp will be used 100% and a nvidia GPU with switching ability would be sweet.

Its faster than C2D's and the Phenom II mobiles that are suppose to come will come later in May, 2010 and in those the dual core AMD's will be not much of a match, but the quads are quite lethal, if priced right a Phenom II N920 would perform quite well and come in as a cheap mobile quad

Coming Soon

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    Or they should just not bother with mobile for now.

That would be the biggest mistake they could make. Desktop processors is a shrinking market. AMD needs Revenue growth potential and it cannot abandon the mobile market.

Part of AMD eroding revenue has been because of the surge in notebook sales and declining desktop sales. AMD has typically been inferior to Intel in the mobile battery life, particularly after centrino. AMD needs to play catchup bigtime.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Xoulz View Post
    Yeah, but where can you buy a 785G and not have sideport ..? Thus wouldn't apples to apples be with it enabled?
    The Gigabyte MA785GT-UD3H I tested didn't have SidePort onboard
    Born to lose, live to win!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XS Janus View Post
    i looked over all the previews, but I'm still left with this debate:
    what will consume less power in idle: s775 E5200 + G41 IGP configuration or new Pentim G6950 and its IGP?
    If someone can deduct this please help or post a link!
    The G6950 should consume less power if the motherboard is energy efficient.

Sorry, I can't remember the link, but a low spec motherboard (like an Intel built board) that's energy efficient should consume less than most Core 2 + G41/G45 combos.
    Quote Originally Posted by flippin_waffles on Intel's 32nm process and new process nodes
    1 or 2 percent of total volume like intel likes to do. And with the trouble intel seems to be having with they're attempt, it [32nm] doesn't look like a very mature process.
    AMD has always been quicker to a mature process and crossover point, so by the time intel gets their issues and volume sorted out, AMD won't be very far behind at all.

Xtreme Mentor
    I want confirmation that i3+H55 can do 6-8 LPCM over HDMI it may turn into a very good HTPC box for me.

The fit-PC2i i pre ordered may just get canned who knows, but my AV receiver is old does not support Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD the only thing it supports is 6ch LPCM over HDMI. Now i know both DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD can be sent as 6ch channel linear PCM but in that case they use the receiver's DAC extensively.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwho? View Post
    so, if you wonder if you are a good overclocker, this is what you should have got ... (those numbers come from Belgium OC team)
    On Ln2 : http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=921805 6.9Ghz
    On Air : http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=909358 5.4Gz

Where is the 7Ghz ? 7! 7!
    I ll reward the 1st person passing 7Ghz on it ... email me

Thanks to Thomas for opening the ballet!

7G here you go

Thanks Nickshih

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=928132
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammy View Post
    No Saying, but Showing

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by matose View Post
    The Gigabyte MA785GT-UD3H I tested didn't have SidePort onboard
    Interesting! Thank you.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreYang View Post
    I'm sure you'll have something to show us, too, Andre.
    That's a great result, though!
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by sdsdv10 View Post
    You might to check over in the AVS HTPC forums: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26

A suspect this question might be answered over there quite soon
    thanks for that! I'll keep an eye on that
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    Anti-Virus software is for n00bs.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    Juicy internal details:

Clarkdale 32nm CPU - 81mm2 "But this does not have the PCIe or Memory controller"
    Transistor Count - 383M

Propus 45nm CPU - 169nm "But includes memory controller does not have a internal PCIe"
    Transistor Count - 300M

Propus has 83M less transistor's wow "This must be because of the L3" Other than that the PCIe and memory controller in the 45nm companion chip must be around 40-45m2 out of 114mm2 so 32nm seems working quite well...

That's for the quad Athlons,the dc are even smaller:

CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon II X2 250, 3360 MHz (14 x 240) CPU Alias Regor

CPU Physical Info
    Package Type 938 Pin uOPGA
    Package Size 4.00 cm x 4.00 cm
    Transistors 234 million
    Process Technology 45 nm, CMOS, Cu, Low-K, DSL SOI, Immersion Lithography
    Die Size 118 mm2
    I/O Voltage 1.2 V + 2.5 V

World Community Grid's mission is to create the world's largest public computing grid to tackle projects that benefit humanity.
    Our success depends upon individuals collectively contributing their unused computer time to change the world for the better.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by SocketMan View Post

CPU Physical Info
    Transistors 234 million
    Die Size 118 mm2
    yeah but regor is no match for i3, heck i think it even will have problems with the G9650, cause it fights the Pentium E5xxx/E6xxx series.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    yeah but regor is no match for i3, heck i think it even will have problems with the G9650, cause it fights the Pentium E5xxx/E6xxx series.
    Regor is more versatile: DDR2/DDR3,can run in any mobo with up to 4 gpus,cheaper and probably runs a lot cooler then i3.

World Community Grid's mission is to create the world's largest public computing grid to tackle projects that benefit humanity.
    Our success depends upon individuals collectively contributing their unused computer time to change the world for the better.

Xtreme Member
    Regor is more versatile: DDR2/DDR3,can run in any mobo with up to 4 gpus,cheaper and probably runs a lot cooler then i3.
    I doubt it.. even for battery life. You can check THG review and see...

Xtreme Mentor

CPU Physical Info
    Transistors 234 million
    Die Size 118 mm2
    I knew this but as it stand Regor is not a good match, the Athlon II x2 255 @ 3.10 GHz may come close to the performance of the G9650 but cant touch others.

Most Athlon X4's are at the same price they were when they were launched and i have heard the x4 620 sells quite well in OEM form.

The total die area for the i5 of 81mm2 is relatively more expensive to make than say 81mm2 in 45nm simply because of the added complexities not only that the use of High K also adds a bit in the price.

A $100 Athlon quad can quite successfully take on a $200 i5 in some tests so its quite a good offensive by AMD IMO.
    Last edited by ajaidev; 01-06-2010 at 02:56 AM.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Member
    The total die area for the i5 of 81mm2 is relatively more expensive to make than say 81mm2 in 45nm simply because of the added complexities not only that the use of High K also adds a bit in the price.
    Have to take into account yields as well.

However the i3 and i5 outperformed the $100 Athlons in gaming performance which many buyers who plays games look at.

That’s a good thing but in most part irrelevant because that isn’t the market or intended purpose of the series, besides in the % of gamers that already is small, the ones that would look at this line of CPUs to buy is even smaller, so I guess the fact is pretty irrelevant.

Xtreme Mentor
    For games you need this and for performance you need this simple.

For $141 its a far cry from the $195 charged for the i5 660 or the $176 charged for the i5 650.
    Last edited by ajaidev; 01-06-2010 at 08:56 AM.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Member

Talking

For games you need this and for performance you need this simple.

For $141 its a far cry from the $195 charged for the i5 660 or the $176 charged for the i5 650.
    Eh? You gone off the charts comparing CPUs that are in different price ranges..

For gaming CPU pricing wise they have to compete with Core i3 530 and Core i3 540 which happens to be in that range, anywhere from $125 to $145. The 925 will have to compete with i3 540, both of which trade blows in that chart.

For performance CPU overall, who wants to look at the slower Athlon II X4s? For mission critical stuff where time is important, nobody would pick those. That would be the domain of i5 750 and PII X4 965, both of which are competing. You get what you pay for...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by raju View Post
    Cos you can score 51K in 05 easier than you can do it on some Bloomfield's. Yield will tell the tale, but Bloomfiled was hit and miss at sub-zero a lot more than these have been so far.
    oh come on...
    even if you claim clarks will beat blooms in most benches, which i dont see happening, you know very well that there are 32nm 1366 chips inbound that will blow clarks away, and the quads wont even be expensive...

Quote Originally Posted by raju View Post
    The nitpicking? Well you don't actually run many benches or write many if any reviews, yet critique as if you'd do a better job.
    the "as if youd do a better job" is 100% in your head... so theres nothing i can do about that. about criticizing a lot, its not personal... and you dont need to be a cook to tell a good dish from a bad one.

i guess you meant that clarks will be competitive in 05... i dont think so, but i can understand why youd say that...

its funny how the previous chipset cycles are now shifted to the cpus...
    we had the 975x and then 965P cycle thing for a long time with chipsets, and now that its all integrated, its all happening with cpus and the entire platform... 1366 is kinda like the 975x of cpus/platforms while 1156 is the P965 of cpus/platforms.
    i wonder if this will go away when the imc is integrated for the mainstream cpus as well...
    Last edited by saaya; 01-07-2010 at 03:40 AM.

Banned
    Hi.
    Hey mate thanks for sharing this review.
    Its really helpful.

Xtreme Member
    Why are you linking games, Athlon II cant do good in them u need a juicy L3 for that.
    Because there are way much more that play games than people who use 3d rendering

Other than that Microsoft Excel always favors Intel, Sonar is single threaded. The Benchs that matter from all those you have posted are:

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/c...5346/21153.png
    http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/c...5346/21133.png
    http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/c...5346/21167.png
    http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/c...5346/21162.png
    Good

Not to mention that Core i3 consume less power and have much Bitlocker Performance because of the new AES instruction, which I didn't mention

Now see the post i made above
    1- the 7-zip bechmarks you posted is a not real world benchmark
    In real world Core i3 530 outperformed Athlon X4 630 in 7-zip
    http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/c...5346/21133.png

2- Not many people do 3d rendering

3- In video encoding, the Athlon X4 630 performed better. Video encoding might be important, but personally I would rather have better gaming and winrar performance than better video encoding.

And sorry for my late respond

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456