Thread: Check out this strange "grateful kid" video

Check out this strange "grateful kid" video

http://wimp.com/gratefulkid/ Something's just not right there.

Xtreme Addict
    What does he open after the XBox, that big black one... and the one after the guide book? For a second I thought the first was the PS3... don't know what the last one was.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Addict
    where's the vid that the kid gets an xbox 360 box, but to his disappointment, inside the box is clothes or something that is definitely not an xbox 360

this vid is too happy

I found the child's reaction very strange. All the crying and money talk seemed out of place when I looked at everything else in the picture.

Xtreme Addict
    Well... he obviously knows sata is just a fairy tale. Its good to know some parents aren't teaching that kids that imaginary crap.

Christmas is a pretty messed up holiday... I mean the guy was born in summer, right? And wasn't he really dark skinned? And wasn't the original Christmas based on a pagan holiday that involved drunk guys fighting and raping women?
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    there are some very weird vibes in that scene for sure...
    the kid acts REALLY weird
    the mom acts a bit weird
    the dad acts weird
    ... the only normal person in that family seems to be the daughter...

Xtreme Addict
    maybe the family was going through hard times and the kid is genuinely happy? Jesus, you dudes have lost touch.
    GB 790XTA UD4
    GSkill Pi Black 2000 Cas9
    ASUS 4870
    Enermax Revolution 1050+

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=67661

Xtreme Cruncher
    at the end they mention not being sick and in the hospital,so maybe the boy has an illness
    and the family are in debt and the boy knows their situation.could explain the strange reaction?

MY HEATWARE 76-0-0

Xtreme Addict
    What's up with the box condition fetish?

Xtreme Member
    Something did seem a little strange at first, but from what I gathered from the internet and youtube comments, he was sick and spent alot of time in hospital, so this is his birthday present (not Christmas!). His mother says at the end "he won't have another birthday like this". So maybe he is dying and his parents want to make the remainder of his life as good as they possibly can for him.

I agree it did seem a little strange at first when they have a big TV on the wall and the kid is saying it must have cost a fortune, how did you afford it etc.. But as somebody said, they could have got into debt and he knows money is tight, not sure, but believe it or not, some kids are actually grateful for the things they get, not all kids are bad.

Come on guys...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    What's up with the box condition fetish?
    maybe the dad knows XBOX360's like to self destruct and wants it in good condition for RMA?
    GB 790XTA UD4
    GSkill Pi Black 2000 Cas9
    ASUS 4870
    Enermax Revolution 1050+

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=67661

I wish my kids were that thankful over some presents.
    MSI P45 Platinum Gamer Edition/Q6600 with TRUEX 120 @ 3.6ghz/XFX 4890/Corsair X64 SSD Boot Drive/WD 500AAKS/Antec Nine Hundred/Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer/4GB Crucial DDR2 800mhz/Dlink DWA-552 Xtreme N/Windows 7 Ultimate 64/Flatron W2452T
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=936443

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwisatz Haderac View Post
    I wish my kids were that thankful over some presents.
    Question is was it an XBox?
    Maybe you should look at getting them a cool gift.

Xbox, PS3, computer, done that, they are 7 though. I am not sure how old this kids is.
    MSI P45 Platinum Gamer Edition/Q6600 with TRUEX 120 @ 3.6ghz/XFX 4890/Corsair X64 SSD Boot Drive/WD 500AAKS/Antec Nine Hundred/Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer/4GB Crucial DDR2 800mhz/Dlink DWA-552 Xtreme N/Windows 7 Ultimate 64/Flatron W2452T
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=936443

Quote Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella View Post
    Christmas is a pretty messed up holiday... I mean the guy was born in summer, right? And wasn't he really dark skinned? And wasn't the original Christmas based on a pagan holiday that involved drunk guys fighting and raping women?
    with jesus's linage he couldent have been dark, but not white ether, if he was born in winter in a stable in israel he would have frozen to death (unless god wanted him to live and made it warm, its supposed to be a miracle right. as for chirstmas its based on 2 things, 1 a roman holiday were grown men had sex with and gave gifts to children and a british pagan holoday were the rich would serve the peasants the best food and drink that they had in the middle of winter, then it changed to eating meat pie and went wassail (aka caroling around to get an alcoholic punch then singing around a bonfire at the end of the night). but then the church embarrassed it to help bring people in and to stop distance.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme X.I.P.
    weird why some of you think theres nothing wrong with the video...

1. the parents sit quietly in the distance, instead of next to their kids
    2. the father grunts at the son in a way serious tone several times, telling him not to ruin the box and not to do this... you can see how the son looks up at the father with a careful and slightly frightened face as a response...
    3. they dont seem to share his happiness at all, they seem emotionally distant and cold towards their kids.

in general thats what i see in this scene... they all seem emotionally distant and cold... the daughter is the exception.
    the sons reactions seem so weird because he IS overly excited, but for some reason surpresses his emotions and only carefully and slowly shows them. he also keeps asking his parents, looking for confirmation that he has a reason to be happy and is "allowed" to be happy. to which the parents react with unemotional comments that make it sound as if its nothing special that hes getting those things.

my guess is that both parents, mostly the father, are frequently in a bad mood, possibly depressed, try to hide their feelings which results in the emotional distance and coldness, and are rather negative and sarcastic as a result. they probably pick on their kids and emotionally abuse them without noticing the emotional damage it causes.

if the kid has a serious disease, that would explain it, financial stress, causing emotional stress...
    either way i feel sorry for the kid, theres def something wrong with him emotionally if he reacts so quietly and slowly to something he clearly IS very excited about. he doesnt scream or smile or laugh... he is quiet and his tone sounds frightened and insecure, and the highest form of emotion he shows is when he starts to cry at the end of the video... and he doesnt share that with his parents either, and they dont share it with him. he cries and walks away, as he apparently doesnt know how to deal with his emotions. and neither do the parents. they ignore him most of the time, and they dont even look at him when they talk to him.

what youd expect from this kind of a clip is that the kid freaks out over new gifts, gets way excited, screams, jumps, smiles, laughs, hugs everybody repeatedly... the parents and silblings would laugh, and smile at the kid and they would all look at the gift(s) and play with it or set it up.

compare that to how quiet and emotionally cold this scene is...

how somebody can think this is a normal scene is beyond me...
    this could be a perfect example to let psychology students analyze whats going on and speculate why the different characters act the way they do.
    Last edited by saaya; 01-03-2010 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post

1. the parents sit quietly in the distance, instead of next to their kids
    2. especially the father grunts at the son in a way serious tone several times, telling him not to ruin the box and not to do this... you can see how the son looks up at the father with a careful and slightly frightened face as a response...
    3. they dont seem to share his happiness at all, they seem emotionally distant and cold towards their kids.

in general thats what i see in this scene... they all seem emotionally distant and cold... the daughter is the exception.
    the sons reactions seem so weird because he IS overly excited, but for some reason surpresses his emotions and only carefully and slowly shows them. he also keeps asking his parents, looking for confirmation that he has a reason to be happy and is "allowed" to be happy. to which the parents react with unemotional comments that make it sound as if its nothing special that hes getting those things.

my guess is that both parents, mostly the father, are frequently in a bad mood, possibly depressed, try to hide their feelings which results in the emotional distance and coldness, and are rather negative and sarcastic as a result. they probably pick on their kids and emotionally abuse them without noticing the emotional damage it causes.

if the kid has a serious disease, that would explain it, financial stress, causing emotional stress...
    either way i feel sorry for the kid, theres def something wrong with him emotionally if he reacts so quietly and slowly to something he clearly IS very excited about.
    The boy seems as if he's been abused.

Muslim Overclocker
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    saaya, either you haven't been with your family in a long time or you were just brought up oblivious to what goes on around you.

Yes there are some things wrong with that scene, but they all have explanations.

- Mother does not want to be in the picture, she lets the kids open the presents... what is wrong with this?
    - Fathers always love their kids, but sometimes they forget to be gentle. So even if his tones were harsh in addressing the kid regarding the box, it is how some fathers are
    - It is not uncommon for parents to discuss "money problems" in front of their kids. This is a big mistake but it happens. When the kid has heard it a hundred times, and when out shopping with his parents every time he points to something they tell him "oh no, much too expensive" the kid begins to realize that hey, I can't have all these nice things in life so I'll just be happy with whatever I get. Now put a kid like that in this situation, he understands his parents' financial problems, now only to find out they are willing to spend a fortune on him is shocking and at the same time its a moment of excessive joy.

From this scene you can tell this kid is very aware, and very bright.

Now the real dark twist is, given what has been said above about his state and that he may not live through another birthday, it maybe that Dad want's to retain the box for returns or better resale value?...

My watercooling experience

Water
    Scythe Gentle Typhoons 120mm 1850RPM
    Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator
    Enzotech Sapphire Rev.A CPU Block
    Laing DDC 3.2
    XSPC Dual Pump Reservoir
    Primochill Pro LRT Red 1/2"
    Bitspower fittings + water temp sensor

Rig
    E8400 | 4GB HyperX PC8500 | Corsair HX620W | ATI HD4870 512MB

I see what I see, and you see what you see. I can't make you see what I see, but I can tell you what I see is not what you see. Truth is, we see what we want to see, and what we want to see is what those around us see. And what we don't see is... well, conspiracies.

Dad is just one of those "though love" types.
    By the way, being careful with the box is just common sense when dealing with expensive electronics: DOA's aren't that rare.
    Patriotism is the conviction that this country is superior
    to all other countries because you were born in it.
    -- George B. Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Jochenp View Post
    Dad is just one of those "though love" types.
    By the way, being careful with the box is just common sense when dealing with expensive electronics: DOA's aren't that rare.
    Though love tough sorry, I couldn't resist.

Xtreme Addict
    Kinda reminded me of the N64 kid, but this kid took his ritalin. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    Well CPUs are like women they all like things specific ways for them.. Some love 8x and others Love 9x or 7x.. they all just have their G-Spot and you have to learn to use it..
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    He should have given up his nuts too. Since clearly anyone that wants any Apple product that bad, Should NOT ever breed.
    q6600 @ 2.6
    EVGA 680i
    OCZ fatal1ty ddr2 800
    8800gt SLI
    watercooled

Quote Originally Posted by dengyong View Post
    Though love tough sorry, I couldn't resist.
    Crap
    thing is, I actually know the difference and always notice when other people make the mistake
    Patriotism is the conviction that this country is superior
    to all other countries because you were born in it.
    -- George B. Shaw