Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OnLive 48 Mins Video Demonstration

Xtreme Mentor

OnLive 48 Mins Video Demonstration

The founder and CEO of OnLive, Steve Perlman shows a demonstration on how to play Crysis on iPhone, Mac, & console.
    Also talks about the features and how this works to at Columbia University in New York City.
    Video Here

Really interesting video

xtreme energy
    Yes, idea is great but it won't work for masses

Xtreme Cruncher
    Very cool video, but 80ms latency is pretty bad. If I get 80ms latency in counterstrike, it is definitely noticeable, and in those cases your mouse movement and keyboard presses are still instantaneous. Input lag is way worse than network latency, so this will still be an issue. I wonder how much popularity this service will win. That micro console is awesome, though!

c[_]
    80ms input latency = horrible.

add on top of that display latency due to scalers then network latency due to servers.....

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

I am Xtreme
    jup 80ms is a killer (though its the maximum latency), when your gaming on a other dedicated server (thats not in there datacenter) you basically have in the worse case 80ms+ 50-60ms to dedicated server + inputlag from your screen (10-20ms) and your above 150ms...

Its good for singelplayer games or mmos, but not for fps..

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Yes, idea is great but it won't work for masses
    Actually, if they make as work as they say it would, the masses will probably love it. I mean, the masses technically are the people who think chocolate milk comes from brown cows, that MP3's actually sound as good as CD's, and that the human eye can't detect frame rates higher than 60fps.

I think history has shown that quality demanding geeks are on the outside of these kinds of things...

Not that I'm saying it would be all bad either. There are plenty of games I could play at 60fps with minimal input lag. But there are also plenty of games which I know I need 80-120fps and NO input lag to play it right.

The coolest thing is that this is being designed with, from what I can tell, with what sounds like a favorable leaning for using PC developed games. All of which is a good thing for PC gamers in the long run.
    Last edited by Rock&Roll; 12-30-2009 at 05:40 PM.
    System: Core I7 920 @ 4200MHz 1.45vCORE 1.35VTT 1.2vIOH // EVGA x58 Classified E760 // 6GB Dominator GT 1866 @ 1688 6-7-6-18 1T 1.65V // Intel X25 80GB // PCP&C 750W Silencer
    Cooling: Heatkiller 3.0 LT CPU block // 655 Pump // GTX360 Radiator
    Sound: X-FI Titanium HD --> Marantz 2265 --> JBL 4311WXA's
    Display: GTX480 // Sony GDM-FW900

I am Xtreme
    Get technical about what you think lag is and what you think some may perceive 80ms of lag all you want. But it the game plays as good as their PC/console this maybe a huge success (I said maybe because their monthly pricing structure isn't clear yet). 80 ms or not if the game is just as responsive as console games no one will care.
    Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 12-30-2009 at 05:59 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock&Roll View Post
    Not that I'm saying it would be all bad either. There are plenty of games I could play at 60fps with minimal input lag. But there are also plenty of games which I know I need 80-120fps and NO input lag to play it right.
    Could you list some of these games? I'm curious to play them now.

Xtreme Mentor
    i quickly checked the video but there is no actual gameplay footage?

he only shows how it should work?

It wont work for MP games.

If you play a game in single player with onlive you will have input lag wich you wil notice in fast paced games. Then if you go into MP the input lag wil b even bigger.

U press forward on your controller and the command has to be send over the internet to their main server wich then translates the command and then sends the result back to your TV.

The infrastructure isnt ready for this in alot of areas and to reduce lag the main server cant be far away from the client.

I wont be suprised if this all fails and then it turns out this CEO is paying himself huge wages.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

I am Xtreme
    the masses technically are the people who think chocolate milk comes from brown cows
    i almost feel like putting that in my sig, but im really just too lazy

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoasthandle View Post
    Get technical about what you think lag is and what you think some may perceive 80ms of lag all you want. But it the game plays as good as their PC/console this maybe a huge success (I said maybe because their monthly pricing structure isn't clear yet). 80 ms or not if the game is just as responsive as console games no one will care.
    Thats just it, it Cant be as responsive, the latency is on your input, thats Way different then playing a online game on your computer with 80ms latency because as was said, your actions are still instantaneous.

Imagine every movement you make having a slight delay.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel i7 965
    Corsair Dominator 1600mhz 3x2gb
    Nvidia GTX 295

Xtreme Addict
    So when I am playing a game, this jackass can watch it and comment on it. Pass.

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    i still do not believe this technology is practical.
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Quote Originally Posted by SamHughe View Post
    So when I am playing a game, this jackass can watch it and comment on it. Pass.
    That actually might be kind of fun. For the jackass...

Xtreme Guru
    I can see the nightmares this will cause for those of us with bandwidth caps...

Xtreme Addict
    I better buy as many games as I can now their killing off physical disk.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    80 ms is perfectly playable.. if anyone is unable to play with that just fails at the game.

spoiled people these days.. playing unreal tournament 10 years ago with a 36k modem was playable and fun

dunno why so many people nay saying this tech
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TJ07BW | i7 980x | Asus RIII | 12Gb Corsair Dominator | 2xSapphire 7950 vapor-x | WD640Gb / SG1.5TB | Corsair HX1000W | 360mm TFC Rad + Swiftech GTZ + MCP655 | Dell U2711

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If this is true what they demonstrate and if they can bring this to the masses, it will simply revolutionize gaming as we know it.

::: Desktop's - Intel *** Intel 2
    2 x Xeon E5-2687W *** Intel i7 3930k
    EVGA SR-X *** Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    96Gb (12x8Gb) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400MHz 10-12-12-2N *** 32Gb (8x4Gb) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2666 10-12-12-2N
    3 x Zotac GTX 680 4Gb + EK-FC680 GTX Acetal *** 3 x EVGA GeForce GTX780 + EK Titan XXL Edition waterblocks.
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 x4 960Gb *** 4 x Samsung 840 Pro 512Gb
    Avermedia LiveGamer HD capture card
    Caselabs TX10-D
    14 x 4 TB WD RE4 in RAID10+2Spare
    4 x Corsair AX1200

::: Basement DataCenter :::
    [*] Fibreoptic connection from operators core network
    [*] Dell PowerConnect 2848 Ethernet Switch [*] Network Security Devices by Cisco
    [*] Dell EqualLogic PS6500E 96Tb iSCSI SAN (40 2Tb Drives + 8 Spare Drives, Raid10+Spare Configuration, 40Tb fail safe storage)
    [*] Additional SAN machines with FusionIO ioDrive Octal's (4 total Octals).
    [*] 10 x Dual Xeon X5680, 12Gb DDR3, 2x100Gb Vertex 2 Pro Raid1 [*] 4 x Quad Xeon E7-4870, 96Gb DDR3, 2x100Gb Vertex 2 Pro Raid1

[*] Monster UPS unit incase power grid failure backed up by diesel powered generator.

Xtreme Member
    This is cloud computing. OnLive should affect consoles. Next should be the way we do computing.

Quote Originally Posted by Loque View Post
    80 ms is perfectly playable..
    lol, the 80 ms is input delay, not latency. It'd blow so hardcore for any shooter.

xtreme energy
    Actually, if they make as work as they say it would, the masses will probably love it.
    Loving is one thing but think about the amount of resources and hardware that they would need to support thousands of crysis players simultaneously This is not a typical web server application where one regular server can support hundreds of requests. You need multiple cores and a huge GPU power to support just 1 request.

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMarkelson View Post
    Could you list some of these games? I'm curious to play them now.
    Pretty much any fast paced online FPS such as UT, BF2 and other.

Just because one thinks 40-60fps is playable does not mean it should be so Ask pros what they think about 50fps MP gaming
    Last edited by kiwi; 12-31-2009 at 01:35 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewZorn View Post
    i still do not believe this technology is practical.
    Hope you are joking.

I see this as a threat to PC gaming personally and as technology improves and wireless internet becomes faster and better, I can see that this might be the future on how we play games.

I like it and don't.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    I did notice it uses the pc sku of games, so at least it wont do any damage to pc gaming
    CPU: Intel 2500k (4.8ghz)
    Mobo: Asus P8P67 PRO
    GPU: HIS 6950 flashed to Asus 6970 (1000/1400) under water
    Sound: Corsair SP2500 with X-Fi
    Storage: Intel X-25M g2 160GB + 1x1TB f1
    Case: Sivlerstone Raven RV02
    PSU: Corsair HX850
    Cooling: Custom loop: EK Supreme HF, EK 6970
    Screens: BenQ XL2410T 120hz

Help for Heroes

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodkin View Post
    I did notice it uses the pc sku of games, so at least it wont do any damage to pc gaming
    What?

If people can just steam gaming to the computers, how do you not see this as damaging to PC gaming?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme X.I.P.
    very informative video! nice... thx for the headsup!

BUT... 1000 miles distance to the servers = 80ms roundtrip?
    but thats roundtrip as in pinging... what really matters is the roundtrip from the moment you give input to your keyboard and mouse and the time the frame is displayed on the monitor. and i find it very hard to believe that this can be done in 80ms or less, especially with a server 1000 miles away...
    i dont wanna be all negative, but if you claim something like this, you better back it up and be specific...
    so... mr perlman... show me...

5mbps for hdtv is what? 720p? at 24fps?

i think this is going to work, for most games, but not all... for casual gamers this will probably do the trick...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast