Thread: AMD Athlon 2650e & X2 3250e - Better than Atom for SFF Desktops

Xtreme Mentor

AMD Athlon 2650e & X2 3250e - Better than Atom for SFF Desktops

"Dell has really come into its own in the past few years. Shedding the image (and fur?) of yet another cheap PC OEM, Dell has tried to make design a more important part of its manufacturing as of late. Not every design is a win, but the zino HD appears to be the first nettop styled to have mass market appeal.."

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=3703&p=1

Humm not bad well not good either, i was waiting for Pine-trail but seems like it has not brought anything revolutionary along with it so i have ordered FIT PC2 which supports h/w acceleration for VC1, AVC and MPEG all the codes i want

My next HTPC maybe based on AMD Bobcat but for now my FIT PC2 with a Atom CPU is suppose to rock my world...
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Anandtech
    The 2650e is a single-core K8 based Socket-AM2/AM2+ processor that runs at 1.6GHz. It’s got 512KB of L2 cache and the rest of the feature set of the older K8 AM2 processors. As an AM2 chip it’s DDR2 only and physically won’t fit or work in an AM3 motherboard. Keep that in mind before you go sticking one of these where it doesn’t belong.

Based on its specs, the Athlon 2650e is a near perfect competitor for Intel’s Atom. The newly announced D510 runs at 1.66GHz (close enough), but is an in-order architecture with Hyper Threading. Bottom line? The Athlon 2650e should be faster in single threaded apps, but slower in multitasking/multithreaded applications. Great. Atom boasts a lower total TDP as well.
    Seriously i hope he's joking cause that is just nonsense.
    Seems we made our greatest error when we named it at the start
    for though we called it "Human Nature" - it was cancer of the heart
    CPU: AMD X3 720BE@ 3,4Ghz
    Cooler: Xigmatek S1283(Terrible mounting system for AM2/3)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P(F4) RAM: 2x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz Gold 8-8-8-24
    GPU:HD5850 1GB
    PSU: Seasonic M12D 750W Case: Coolermaster HAF932(aka Dusty )

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Browncoat, I'll wager that is more of intel's influence at work... I don't care what anybody says, IMO Anand has also always had an intel bias.
    Last edited by flippin_waffles; 01-01-2010 at 08:35 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BrowncoatGR View Post
    Why? A SC OoO core is faster in single-threaded apps; while the 2C/4T
    is faster in multi-threaded apps. Makes perfect sense, the numbers show
    the same.

What surprised me though was that DC Atom + Ion still fared quite well
    against the SC/DC K8 + 780G combo. I'm just waiting for the new Asrock
    board with DC Atom + Ion + 4xSATA + PCIe x16 to appear in stores.
    Usual suspects: i5-750 & H212+ | Biostar T5XE CFX-SLI | 4GB RAndoM | 4850 + AC S1 + 120@5V + modded stock for VRAM/VRM | Seasonic S12-600 | 7200.12 | P180 | U2311H & S2253BW | MX518
    mITX media & to-be-server machine: A330ION | Seasonic SFX | WD600BEVS boot & WD15EARS data
    Laptops: Lifebook T4215 tablet, Vaio TX3XP
    Bike: ZX6R

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank M View Post
    Why? A SC OoO core is faster in single-threaded apps; while the 2C/4T
    is faster in multi-threaded apps. Makes perfect sense, the numbers show
    the same.

Hmm not sure about that. It looks like the only thing the numbers show is that Anand could only come up with a couple intel optimized benchmarks that favour intel for his premise. I'm guessing a more extensive review would have shown a much different story.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BrowncoatGR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flippin_waffles View Post
    Browncoat, I'll wager that is more of intel's influence at work... I don't care what anybody says, IMO Anand has also always had an intel bias.
    You do realise that it's a comparison of a single core, single thread OoO against a dual core, quad thread In-order?

It makes perfect sense. The single, faster core is quicker in single threaded stuff while the slower but mutlithreaded cpu is quicker in multithreaded stuff. The X2 version should be quicker than the d510 as its a dualie and OoO.

The benchmarks in the article simply back this up.
    Workstation:
    3960X | 32GB G.Skill 2133 | Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    3*EVGA GTX580 HC2 3GB | 3*Dell U3011
    4*Crucial M4 256GB R0 | 6*3TB WD Green R6
    Areca 1680ix-24 + 4GB | 2*Pioneer BDR-205 | Enermax Plat 1500W
    Internal W/C | PC-P80 | G19 | G700 | G27
    Destop Audio:
    Squeezebox Duet | Beresford TC-7520 Caiman modded | NAD M3 | MA RX8 | HD650 | ATH-ES7
    Man Cave:
    PT-AT5000E | TXP65VT30 | PR-SC5509 | PA-MC5500 | MA GX300*2, GXFX*4, GXC350 | 2*BK Monolith+
    Gaming on the go:
    Alienware M18x
    i7 2920XM | 16GB DDR3 1600
    2*6990 | WLED 1080P
    2*Crucial M4 256GB | BD-RW
    BT 375 | Intel 6300 | 330W PSU

2011 Audi R8 V10 Ibis White ABT Tuned - 600HP

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by 3NZ0 View Post
    You do realise that it's a comparison of a single core, single thread OoO against a dual core, quad thread In-order?

It makes perfect sense. The single, faster core is quicker in single threaded stuff while the slower but mutlithreaded cpu is quicker in multithreaded stuff. The X2 version should be quicker than the d510 as its a dualie and OoO.

The benchmarks in the article simply back this up.
    psst let them in there belive.
    But its quite ironic, that the same people cheer that a tripple/quadcore beats a dualcore in multithreaded apps, but at the same time cant belive that a dualcore can beat a singelcore in multithreaded apps...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 3NZ0 View Post

I didn't realize it was a dual-core atom. Thanks for the heads up. If that's the case this test actually makes sense. Apologies
    Seems we made our greatest error when we named it at the start
    for though we called it "Human Nature" - it was cancer of the heart
    CPU: AMD X3 720BE@ 3,4Ghz
    Cooler: Xigmatek S1283(Terrible mounting system for AM2/3)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P(F4) RAM: 2x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz Gold 8-8-8-24
    GPU:HD5850 1GB
    PSU: Seasonic M12D 750W Case: Coolermaster HAF932(aka Dusty )

Xtreme Enthusiast
    wow, nor did I. Open mouth, insert foot. Apologies to thread and Anand.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    impressed by the 4-thread atom, but 65nm k8s?
    a low power 'sargas' would be nice http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...C2.2C_45_nm.29
    Attached Images Attached Images

YouTube Addict
    let me see if I get this straight....

They think comparing a seventh generation OoO Cpu to a second generation in-order processor with extensive focus on multi-threading is a proper comparison.
    Benchmarking shouldn't even required. OoO always wins in single thread performance [that is why everyone chasing Single thread performance uses it] and the hardware with the better threading support will have better performance in threaded applications. [Hence Dual core always Beats hyperthreading; Hyperthreading beats course grain threading; Course grain threading beats no threading support for ALL thread intensive Applications.]
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by hollo View Post
    a low power 'sargas' would be nice
    Dude, a SC, IN 2010? That's sooo last decade
    Usual suspects: i5-750 & H212+ | Biostar T5XE CFX-SLI | 4GB RAndoM | 4850 + AC S1 + 120@5V + modded stock for VRAM/VRM | Seasonic S12-600 | 7200.12 | P180 | U2311H & S2253BW | MX518
    mITX media & to-be-server machine: A330ION | Seasonic SFX | WD600BEVS boot & WD15EARS data
    Laptops: Lifebook T4215 tablet, Vaio TX3XP
    Bike: ZX6R

Xtreme Addict
    "Dell charges an extra $65 for the 3250e upgrade. Just to put things in perspective - $10 more and you could have yourself a complete Pine Trail platform."

Just to put things in perspective...
    -

Xtreme Enthusiast
    lol oh boy, a pine trail platform! yes! SCORE!