Thread: The People's Processor

Love will tear us apart

The People's Processor

Wired article about the Loongson CPU which has been in development from the ground up by China since 2001. In fact, Richard M Stallman uses a laptop with one because it is presently the only machine on the planet built completely with free software right down to the BIOS.

This is a short and quick but still incredibly interesting article. Major implications not just for computing but potentially all of humanity especially given inevitable continued future shifts in the world geopolitically, economically and militarily.
    Dark Star IV
    i5 3570K | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 8GB Samsung 30nm | GTX 670 FTW 4GB + XSPC Razer 680 | 128GB Samsung 830
    Apogee HD White | 140MM UT60/120MM UT45/120MM ST30 | XSPC D5 V2

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Just hope they don't infringe a thousand copyright/patents and get sued for 50 trillion before it makes it out the door.

Love will tear us apart
    Well "from the ground up" would avoid such I would think but, again, the article is scant on details.
    Dark Star IV
    i5 3570K | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 8GB Samsung 30nm | GTX 670 FTW 4GB + XSPC Razer 680 | 128GB Samsung 830
    Apogee HD White | 140MM UT60/120MM UT45/120MM ST30 | XSPC D5 V2

Xtreme Addict
    too bad ... i recall the rights of marketing processor x86 lies on Intel and AMD only
    even if they had fab to create it, it could only being used for education purposes and cannot being commercialized (who works for zero profits anyway?)

i dun mind buying if it's good .. afterall 80% mobo are chinese made
    but we'll never know if one of these days ... these fellas pop up an insane octo-core (or some-core) prototype chip which cost less than the 1/4 of AMD price

chinese work for real dirt cheap ... the avg monthly salary for china engineers is like US$252 compared to US with $4.7k
    these fellas would die for a chance to climb their social darwin ladder

Xtreme CCIE
    I like that it's powerful enough to run a petaflop computer... you know, because that isn't just a function of quantity. And per the article they actually use them in netbooks, and that reviews aren't in their favor versus other offerings (which I must assume means the Intel Atom).

Given you don't go from Atom performance to even i7 performance in a few short years, I'll take a wake-up call for 2020 when these are useful.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point