Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMD prepping for computer interface revolution

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    How exactly is AMD prepping for this?
    Interaction between computer and user is controlled by operating system. Presumably AMD is working with Microsoft and other parties involved with operating systems. Solutions then appear in hardware with drivers. Programmers use the API to use the technology.

Xtreme CCIE
    Quote Originally Posted by gosh View Post
    Interaction between computer and user is controlled by operating system. Presumably AMD is working with Microsoft and other parties involved with operating systems. Solutions then appear in hardware with drivers. Programmers use the API to use the technology.
    That is a large presumption. All AMD committed to was "making faster processors", which is really what they have been committed to since inception. I'm not saying they definitely are not working with MS, but I am saying that it sounds like Dirk is just blowing smoke with this statement for PR purposes (for lack of any kind of details).
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That is a large presumption.
    Play wii with motion plus! Do not think there is a particularly daring guess that there will come a lot in terms of interaction between computer and user.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qcDjwRynyU

Xtreme X.I.P.
    oh pls guys, this is so 100% marketing bs...

How exactly is AMD prepping for this?
    exactly... its just a tradition that the ceos and ctos of big tech companies make some predictions about the future at the end of a year... dirks prediction is pretty pathetic... he basically says in the future the world will be different from what it is now
    derrr reaaary?
    Last edited by saaya; 12-26-2009 at 08:23 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    . he basically says in the future the world will be different from what it is now
    derrr reaaary?
    Maybe Dirk knows they are going out of business sooner than we all thought?

I am Xtreme
    for the article, it looks like nothing more than a PR smoke screen. for the idea, i dont see the mouse and keyboard going anywhere in the next decade. new ideas will come in, i could see a nice webcam that watches where your eyes are and would be very useful ingame. kinda drop the mouse and use a controller for looking around, but your eyes determine where the crosshair is, instead of being in the center of the screen. i could see eye position recognition being used for an OS, but i would never want the mouse to be able to click just by your eyes. something like a touchpad where your hands are the input device, but its location is based on where your looking. with one major flaw, there would always be a pointer right where your looking, covering up what your trying to read.

Xtreme Member
    ^^ I wouldn't want anything tracking my eyes. Sometimes your throwing grenades left and want to keep looking right.
    new-old rig:
    E8600
    2x ASUS 4850
    DFI X48 board
    4 gb DDR2
    650w FSP PSU
    Working on some liquid cooling!

old-old rig:
    Opteron 165 @ 2.610 (1.425v)
    - Prime Stable, Stock HSF
    DFI LanParty UT Expert
    2gb G. Skill Dual Channel Ram 2.5-3-3-6
    7900gt CO SuperClocked
    2x WD250gb SATA in RAID 0
    FSP Epsilon 600W

heatware: thenrz

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by thenrz View Post
    ^^ I wouldn't want anything tracking my eyes. Sometimes your throwing grenades left and want to keep looking right.
    yeah, it will take LOTS of options to let users get a smooth feeling. i do think getting some of these things out now, and watch trends over time of what combos people like to use will really help pave the way for a good setup later (like with the next consoles)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12