Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thermalright Venomous-X in stock now...

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    The sensors of that E8600 are definitely off.
    i7 testing needs to be done.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Member
    Those core temps @ those volts with i7 would have been sweet but I guess we will have to wait more for the results.........
    EVGA Classified (MSI XPower), 980X (i5 661, i5 680, i7 950, E8600, QX9650, E8400), Thermalright Venomous X , Kingston Hyper X 2000Mhz, MSI 480GTX (5870, 4870x2, Visiontek 3870 x2, XFX 8800GT w/HR03GT), DELL E248WFP, CM Silent Power Pro 1000W, Seagate 1TB + 1TB + 500GB+500GB, Auzentech X-Plosion, CM Bench Station, AL 641, MX 518, New G15 Keyboard

Xtreme Member
    An E8600 at stock voltages is insignificantly hot. Maybe around 1.7v you should see something interesting.

An i7 test is required and a comparison with a decent heatsink for relevance.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by halfwaythere View Post
    An E8600 at stock voltages is insignificantly hot. Maybe around 1.7v you should see something interesting.

An i7 test is required and a comparison with a decent heatsink for relevance.
    It depends on the individual chip too, my Q822 E8400 gets insanely hot at 1.3V and beyond 4.3GHz, my E3110 on the other hand ran cool even at 1.4V.

Xtreme Member
    OK, so we have the following comments :P

1. The temp sensors on the chip are off. Is there anything you would like me to do to rectify the situation? I agree that the board and the core temps shouldn't be 10c apart. Maybe the new mount is causing the discrepancy Do you think they are reading too high or too low?

2. Run it on an i7. This can be done but it will have to wait for the weekend. I have a 975EE sitting in the box next to my classified.

3. Compare it to another cooler. This can be done as well. I have a copper TRUE I can throw on the same setup and rerun the test. Would that be something you would want to see?
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

Xtreme Member
    Core2 45nm cpus are known for bad sensors. I have an E5200 that reaches 80 with 1.36v under a Megahalems, otoh I had a q6600 which never passed 60 at 1.5v with the same setup.

Heres what you can do: try to find the optimum voltage for your cpu to reach 4.2GHz, thats a pretty common freq for D0, and after that equip the heatsinks with a fan that keeps your temp below 90. The reason for this is the readings are more accurate the closer you get to Tjmax. I'm not sure if your Copper is lapped because they are known for very bad quality bases. And finally I would use the Venomous mounting system because the Copper one sucks.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elloquin View Post
    2. Run it on an i7. This can be done but it will have to wait for the weekend. I have a 975EE sitting in the box next to my classified.

3. Compare it to another cooler. This can be done as well. I have a copper TRUE I can throw on the same setup and rerun the test. Would that be something you would want to see?
    Yes yes yes yes yes!! If you want to make it super super awesome then also do multiple seating results for each heatsink, since the variance in seatings can affect a temp for better or worse.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LarsMarkelson View Post
    Yes yes yes yes yes!! If you want to make it super super awesome then also do multiple seating results for each heatsink, since the variance in seatings can affect a temp for better or worse.
    At this point I wouldn't get too excited lol. It was really bugging me last night so I tore down one of my i7 rigs spec are as follows:

Biostar X58 original rev.
    Core i7 920 D0 I'd have to look for the batch number but it was that very first pre-order batch from tank guys when they released.
    6 gigs Corsair Dominator GT ddr3 1600

That set up runs OCCT for 1 hr. at 4.2 21 x 200 1.262v everything on (HT Virt etc)on decent H20 (one loop 2 x 240 GTX rads w/ 3000rpm ultra kaze fans on high 2 x DD-CPX Pro pumps in series EK copper supreme and 2 4870 x2 full cover blocks) at around 62c. I have also 3d benched it at 4599 21 x 219 1.48v. It 2d benches at 21 x 226 (Pi and wprime 32m). Board max I have booted is 227. Thers a hard mod that lets it get to 335 or so but no one has posted it yet .

So last night I set it up on the torture rack applied mx-2 and mounted the venomous-X. Same 1800rpm 80 or so cfm Triebwerks in push pull slightly higher ambient of 18c. Set it for 20 x 210 1.28v and ran linx. Temps shot up to 75c before it finished the first pass. They spiked past 80c on pass 4 and I shut it down. I rechecked the mouunt this morning before I left for work and it is indeed making good contact as far as tim spread shows nice even little square. The one thing I have noticed so far is that on both sets of hardware even with the pressure screw on the mount maxed out you can still give the cooler a twist you can't tilt it its more soild then that it just sort of glides to the right or left. It is more pronounced on the X58 than the X48.

So what does all of this mean? Nothing really it's too early to tell but it does not bode well
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

Xtreme Member
    We want reviews now!!.

I'm very confuse between Venomous, Megshadow and NH-D14 :S :S :S :S

Xtreme Member
    Well i have these three , True rev.C (lapped with pressure mod) ,MegaShadow (stock) and Venom X (stock), and my personal impressions.

Performance wise its.
    1.Venom X (stock) & True rev.C (lapped with pressure mod) (Venom 1C better but thats within error margin)
    2.MegaShadow (stock) (about 4c worse then those above). (I know some people keep saying Megahalem is better then True but that was not the case for me , maybe better then stock TRUE ? )

Mounting system.
    1.Venom X (awesome with cookie on top)
    2.MegaShadow (awesome mounting system)
    3.True rev.C (stock mount sucks)
    .:. Obsidian 750D .:. i7 5960X .:. EVGA Titan .:. G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4 32GB .:. CORSAIR HX850i .:. Asus X99-DELUXE .:. Crucial M4 SSD 512GB .:.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by -=DVS=- View Post
    Well i have these three , True rev.C (lapped with pressure mod) ,MegaShadow (stock) and Venom X (stock), and my personal impressions.

Performance wise its.
    1.Venom X (stock) & True rev.C (lapped with pressure mod) (Venom 1C better but thats within error margin)
    2.MegaShadow (stock) (about 4c worse then those above). (I know some people keep saying Megahalem is better then True but that was not the case for me , maybe better then stock TRUE ? )

Mounting system.
    1.Venom X (awesome with cookie on top)
    2.MegaShadow (awesome mounting system)
    3.True rev.C (stock mount sucks)
    Can I ask what you used for testing to come to this conclusion?

At any rate here's the plan for tonight and maybe the next few days whatever lol. After reviewing a review of the venomous X on another site I noticed some discrepancies at least if people want apple to apples comparisons. It is in my opinion overkill to run LINX for stability testing. I can't think of any real world situation that is going to put that kind of strain on a cpu. I can see prime small ffts maybe as a comparison to a crunching rig but even that is pushing it. But that's just my opinion I'll try to get whatever results you ask for. I am going to throw the copper true on there tonight and no it's not lapped but it performed well on my i7 965ee@4.2 so it should do well on the 920. Again I just used it for benching so it never saw punishment the likes of linx. If it does better than the venomous (which i doubt) I'll try and mod the mount a bit and see if i can't get more pressure out of it. It can't really be washer modded because the screw in the center that adds presure screws down into a hole in the top of the sinks base. I woukd need to block that off and apply presure from a higher point. That's kind of iffy to me as i can see a socket getting hoarked pretty easily doing this if not very careful. What i wouldn't mind seeing is someone with an alternative heatsink megahalem, true whatever run linx at 4.2 on a 920 and post their results. I just don't see the relevance in running a chip at close to 90c fo 30 mins which is enough to destabilize it in the first place regardless of the test (LOL) Even if a heatsink were able to hold an i7 at 80c under linx what does that prove? I never ran linX before and probably won't again. Are we trying to see if an overclock is stable and test temps or just on a drag race to see who can actually get the closest to 90 and not crash :P I guess my question is what do you peeps expect from an air cooled heatsink?
    Last edited by Elloquin; 12-31-2009 at 11:18 AM.
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

Xtreme Member
    Tested on system in my signature running LinX later did prime for more even temp consistency. Realtemp for readout.
    .:. Obsidian 750D .:. i7 5960X .:. EVGA Titan .:. G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4 32GB .:. CORSAIR HX850i .:. Asus X99-DELUXE .:. Crucial M4 SSD 512GB .:.

Xtreme Member
    That's really weird you can still slide it even on max pressure with X58. Imo that's not good!

I learned that it was right when you couldn't move the heatsink at all... but maybe this isn't right?

If that's not true, then perhaps you could get better results my lessening the pressure?
    Last edited by LarsMarkelson; 12-31-2009 at 12:42 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by -=DVS=- View Post
    Tested on system in my signature running LinX later did prime for more even temp consistency. Realtemp for readout.
    LOL yeah I gathered that I was wondering temps clockspeed screens if any. that sort of thing.
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LarsMarkelson View Post
    That's really weird you can still slide it even on max pressure with X58. Imo that's not good!

I learned that it was right when you couldn't move the heatsink at all... but maybe this isn't right?

If that's not true, then perhaps you could get better results my lessening the pressure?
    Welp, it is mounted correctly I can assure you of that.
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

Xtreme Member
    Nevermind It needs to be run again without some changes I added as I went along. I opened hardware monitor after the change.

Last edited by Elloquin; 12-31-2009 at 06:40 PM.
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

Xtreme Member
    I want to clear some things: Megahalems never excelled at hi-rpm, above 2000 at least, being a cooler designed for 1500 rpm or less. Honestly I would like to see a versus against the NH-D14 because thats the best heatsink atm and I'm pretty sure it will crush this renamed TRUE.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I want to clear some things: Megahalems never excelled at hi-rpm, above 2000 at least, being a cooler designed for 1500 rpm or less. Honestly I would like to see a versus against the NH-D14 because thats the best heatsink atm and I'm pretty sure it will crush this renamed TRUE.
    But isn't the D14 twice as big as the X?
    Team XS: xs4s.org

Xtreme Member
    They are comparably priced plus you get 2 very decent fans with the Noctua. And the discussion is about absolute performance not practicality. And nobody is stopping TR or any other manufacturer to bring out something in the same league as the NH-D14.

Xtreme Member
    It's rerunning LinX now. For whatever reason it likes being rotated 90 degrees and being mounted horizontally as opposed to vertically. Dunno if that makes a difference if the board is vertical or not but someone else will eventually test it in that configuration.
    The cooler also doesn't like TIM After I pulled the cooler I cleaned the base of the heatsink and just left the skim coat that was on the cpu and remounted. The mount is also much tighter in this orientation but a slight wiggle is still there but you need to apply a good amount of force. I think it has to do with the built in back plate on the mobo
    Lastly, I noticed I had a build up of heat at the exhaust of the Venomous and the back of the GFX card. The north bridge is in that area as well. I added a 120mm fan to the area to exhaust the heat.
    It just passed loop 6 and the core temps via real temp are 74 68 70 65c. This is the same as the last run after I added the 120mm fan. The only review I found so far on the noctua was on a 965@4.3 and it was running OCCT but those temps were 79 74 77 71c after 20 mins non 64 bit. Review is here http://www.caseandcooling.fr/refroid...nh-d14?start=3
    Anyone with a noctua NH d14 care to run linx on a 920 at 4.2? After this clean run is finished does anyone still want to see the copper true on the same setup?
    Lastly here's a pic of the test bench.

As usual you lose that first ram slot in this orientation as well.
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

Xtreme Member
    Results: Ambient 19c

Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

I am Xtreme
    No drastic improvement then, my Megahalems beats that (not by much, though). Although no lapping and pressure modding requirement is nice.
    Thanks for testing!
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    What fans are those you have mounted on the X? I'm pretty sure their are a lot better in every respect than the stock fans supplied with the Noctua.

Results on different cpus and mobos are not comparable for obvious reasons.

Xtreme Member
    What fans are those you have mounted on the X? I'm pretty sure their are a lot better in every respect than the stock fans supplied with the Noctua.

Results on different cpus and mobos are not comparable for obvious reasons.
    It was decided the temp sensors were off on the E8600 and the testing on that platform was abandoned.

As far as the fans. They are Triebwerks like I said in the beginning. They are 120 x 55mm 1800 rpm ~80cfm ~30db. They actually have less airflow then the ones supplied by noctua especially the 140 mm one. Two of those fans on this sink would probably offer better temps. 2 Ultra Kaze 3000 rpm 106cfm fans would be even better but the noise level is absurd. As it is now the Raptor X hard drive can be heard over the fans.
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    No drastic improvement then, my Megahalems beats that (not by much, though). Although no lapping and pressure modding requirement is nice.
    Thanks for testing!
    No nothing drastic but adding the blue led fan lowered the temps 4c. Feel free to share the result details with the megahalems
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast