Thread: SSD Settings/Tweaks?

Xtreme Member

SSD Settings/Tweaks?

I've seen and read a number of suggestions regarding various settings/tweaks for people running SSDs. I recently purchased an Intel 160GB G2. I did a clean install of Windows 7 (in AHCI mode). I had thought that the disk defragmenter should be disabled by default? When I checked, however, this was not the case. I disabled this manually. Shouldn't this setting be automatically be adjusted during the installation of Windows 7? I have not done any other additional changes in the operating system. I did, however, disable the system optimizer in Norton IS 2010 as this is just a disk defragmenter as well.

So, what if any other settings should I check/adjust? If there are several things to check/adjust, then perhaps someone that knows how to properly adjust the various operating system settings could let us know. If there are several things to consider, then perhaps this information would make a good sticky as this is likely to come up frequently.

I am Xtreme
    W/ Win7 defrag w/ skip the SSD even though it isn't disabled.

I've done lots of windows 7 installs on SSDs and haven't seen windows 7 do any optimizations for an SSD. The talk before 7s release was that it would optimize it's self but that feature must have been scrapped.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    W/ Win7 defrag w/ skip the SSD even though it isn't disabled.
    After doing some additional searching and reading (OCZ has one long thread about tweaking for Windows 7 and SSDs) there seems to be a lot of talk about disable this, or disable that, and the benefits of doing so. Are these other people that are going into the services section and disabling prefetch/superfetch/defrag/ect just being over cautious?

Quote Originally Posted by dengyong View Post
    I've done lots of windows 7 installs on SSDs and haven't seen windows 7 do any optimizations for an SSD. The talk before 7s release was that it would optimize it's self but that feature must have been scrapped.
    Which adjustments are the preferred ones for an SSD? What is the preferred way to accomplish these changes seeing that Windows 7 doesn't seem to be doing these for us as you mention?

Xtreme Addict
    all i did when i installed win7, was to disable hibernation and turn off indexing *shrug*
    i950 (3035B684)
    Gigabyte EX58A-UD3R
    3x4GB G.Skill PC3-12800 7-8-7-24
    HIS Radeon HD 6970 2GB & Dell 3007WFP-HC
    Asus Xonar DX
    128GB C300, Velociraptor & Sammy F3's
    Corsair AX850W
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

Xtreme Member
    It would seem that {Disk Defrag, Superfetch, and Readyboost} should at least be disabled. I have found the Engineering Windows 7 Blog on SSDs interesting. http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/200...rives-and.aspx Some people find that these services are set to manual but many people find that these services remain enabled. It would be easy to just go into the services and disable these. Some people have mentioned, however, that even though the services have remained enabled, they don't seem to be occurring. How is it they are able to determine this? I think for now I will just disable these three in the services. What we really need is the one and only "SSD Tweak Guide" that we can rely on based on fact/truth rather then speculation and random case reports.