Thread: Mixing Liquid/Keeping Separate (Active Stargate Effect)

Mixing Liquid/Keeping Separate (Active Stargate Effect)

I have an idea for a liquid cooling mod.
    However, I have a slight dilemma.

I want a liquid, that will mix and pump along with water, but will stay separate.

Like if you were to mix oil and water. They would both flow together, but should at least partially visibly separate.

Any ideas on what liquid might work?

Xtreme Addict

Interesting link for sure.
    Have to give that some thought. Wont work exactly as what I had in mind, but might for something similar.
    TY ^_^

Xtreme Member
    As long as the pump is running, I think most fluids will mix. Not sure about that lava lamp ooze, but I've got no better ideas.

Xtreme Member
    yes i don't see the liquids staying separate with the pump running.
    CPU: Core2Quad q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (highest so far 4.2GHz)
    GPU: XFX 9800GTX @ 850/1230
    Ram: Samsung 4GB (4x1GB) 700MHz PC5300
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32)
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt DxX
    HDD:WD5001AALS, ST3250410AS, ST3500410AS, ST3500320AS - 1.75TB
    DVD: LG H26N,LG GH20LS10 both sata
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500/Razor Barracuda HP-1 / AC-1
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v
    3Dmark06:17,814 AquaMark:190,865

Xtreme Addict
    HA! I had the exact same idea a few days ago. I checked into it a did a few experiments. It seems like the fluid will be pretty mixed up as long as there is decent flow.

Xtreme Member
    your two fluids will always emulsify when flowing through a pump....however, some sort of separator could be utilized, either a gravitational sep or a centrifugal system. Though, I have no idea how practical this type of system would be......

could you possibly elaborate on your idea and maybe more solutions could be devised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly n Grey View Post
    I'll just change my sig to "Fold for XS or I'll post nekkid pics of meself"

Xtreme Addict
    A while ago I saw a video on youtube where they had a big spiral loop. They pumped one colored liquid after the other, so the spiral changed colors. Really beautiful.
    >i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

Ok, while I'm hesitant to share my thought, it would probably be best so I can get the best input on what it is I am thinking of giving a shot.

I am a huge Stargate fan. Love the shows. Could say I've seen the full SG-1 at least 2 or 3 times in full. (Yes I know pathetic. lol)

What I have in mind, is to create a reservoir with the outside shape of the stargate itself. Then, with fluid flowing into the center (which will be the actual res). I don't want to use plain or just colored water, due to it not giving the same effect/look as an active gate.

I have several ideas though.
    First, is to have the pump, pumping directly into the center of the gate(res) with 2 different colored liquids. Several exiting points, to hopefully give the right look.
    But, as can be seen, many possible problems with this.
    Second, create a basic style res, round with the gate form surrounding it. Then, with light blue colored water, adding on the backside of it, several layers of different window tinting. Even with different colored LEDs (white/blue/UV) to try to create the effect. Same on water flow.

Odds are the 2nd idea would be best, but I don't know quite enough to actually be able to wire LEDs up in a fashion where they would alternate and (hopefully) cause the effect I want.
    Maybe if someone around here is good at wiring LEDs and circuitry could give me a very basic way to do that, it would be quite a bit easier.
    The tinting would be simple, the res itself wouldn't be too hard, the gate itself, well, there are ways to get what I am looking for with that.

So... you asked.. ^_^

LoL

Make sense?

Oh, and for those who haven't seen Stargate, linkage..., and another.
    The 2nd gives a slightly better view of it.
    Just the first few seconds is all I am looking to try to do.

Xtreme Member
    Fan of stargate +1 :p

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Make it so the "lava lamp" part is not running in your cooling loop. The trick would be to use regular distilled water for cooling, and a double walled res: have the cooling water flow in the outer part, and the "lava lamp" fluid in the inner container, with some optical magic it will look like it's the main coolant (use a cylinder res). Have the inner part stick out somewhat at the top (in a cooler part of your system) so there's a temperature gradient - and boom, moving lava lamp reservoir.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I've been brainstorming with my brother here, we're both tinkerers, so we are pretty good at bouncing ideas off of each other.

We've come up with a pretty fair idea on the res/gate. Just a few details that we need to straighten out. Unfortunately, to figure some of those things out, requires hardware to test. i.e. plexi/acrylic etc. So for now it's all just a pipe dream. But something I'm working on.

As a lil side note, since I've actually a few folks posting/replying.

I need something along the lines of plastic wrap or cellophane. It needs to have its flexibility, but a bit stronger...

any ideas? lol

Ok, drew up some thoughts with my awesome |33+ paintshop skills.

I am attaching the pic and hopefully, between the "legend" and my explanations, it'll make sense. lol

I had to draw it out of proportion so you could get the idea better. Top to bottom I am thinking about 1 foot by 1 foot. Full depth should only be between 3/4 quarters to 1 and 1/4 inches deep.
    As it says, the gray is the plexi/acrylic. They orange, will be some sort of membrane/cellophane. (Something strong, yet very flexible.)
    Section A, marked at the top, would be very thin and have no actual water flow. It would be filled, nearly to the top with water, but just enough to keep section B from collapsing the membrane.
    Section B is used to create turbulence on the membrane, causing the rippling effect of an active gate.
    Section C is the full res area.
    Water would flow in from 1 (from pump) into Section C.
    Section C would push the water through the next layer of plexi/acrylic the circle (Labeled as) 2 outlets, pushing against the membrane between Sections A and B.
    The triangles (labeled as) 3are the outlets from Section B.
    The 3 white dots across the top, are fill ports, just to be there for easier filling of full res.
    The second pic is what the black ring on the first pic will be.
    Hopefully, with the water being forced through in this way, it will have the rippling effect that is required for this to look right.
    There will also be LED lighting behind the entire res, going from white in the middle, to dark blue on the outer edges, with a bit of inbetween colors mixed in.

So.... does this make sense? LoL

Any input? ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gateres2.png 
Views:	314 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	99950   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stargate-sg1.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	99951