Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DNAB... Definitely Not A Banana Intel Core i7 950 ( yay! )

One-Eyed Killing Machine

DNAB... Definitely Not A Banana Intel Core i7 950 ( yay! )

I can't believe this is true, but fortunately ( for me ) it is
    A few days ago... ok, ok! 2 days ago, I tested a Core i7 950 that did 4.8GHz SuperPi 32M on ice ( the regular one, not dry ice ) [ CoreTemp 37C/35C/36C/33C ] and the results were very encouraging ( 5.4GHz-something SuperPi 1M, 5.3GHz AquaMark 3, 5.16GHz Pi32M @ -58Cpot_temp, wPrime at 5.05GHz ).
    Today I had a few liters of LN2 ( 12 to be precise ).
    Yesterday I started preparing some Windows images with Norton Ghost ( something that made me waste a lot LN2 today ) and then recovered the HDD to an all-around Windows XP Pro SP3 installation.

I wanted to test the CPU, but I got tempted to do some AquaMark 3 with a LN2 cooled 5870, so I prepped both the mobo & the VGA for LN2.
    I started with CPU on LN2 and an empty Tek-9 3.0 "Fatbody"-cooled 5870 @ stock to check the overclocking capabilities & the "coldbug/coldboot" of the CPU.
    I didn't try hard, neither really paid any attention ( I had an old friend here and we had some good laughs during this benching session ) so there might be more or even more than a lot of OC headroom left ( we shall find out soon )

After fooling around in Windows XP I decided to load the Windows 7 x64 image to get some higher AquaMark 3 & 3D Mark03 numbers, but that wasn't the best of ideas I must admit

Norton Ghost 14 had problems restoring my image, and after 2 tries and lots of waiting, I decided to give Windows Backup a go.
    Finally, after 3 minutes or so the image was finally restored and we were ready to go.

Well... that's when I realized that I lost a few scores & screenshots because I forgot to transfer them from the HDD to my USB stick...

I was bored and didn't mod the 5870, so it was SmartDoctor & Afterburner.
    Well, the result was 1287MHz / GDDR5-5224 AquaMark 3 @... -179C ( -180C = coldbug ) @ 1.45Vsomething.

I didn't push the UnCore, nor the RAM ( slacky 8-8-8-28 80 tRFC and 2/8 divider, B2B 12(!) ) just the CPU clock

I lost a nice 393k AQ3 with the card at 900/1200 and 5.54G CPU while saving the screenshot ( damn GPU-z lol and lack of LN2 ).

I also benched SuperPi 1M @ 5.5GHz / DDR3-2400 8-8-8-28 Triple Channel just for fun

I really need a cascade to spend some time testing the CPU and finding the best clocks/timings & settings

I'll leave you with a few screenshots ( well... some of the saved ones )

One of the cb lost screenies

A cr*ppy AQ3 ( full screenie, yay )

A... not so tweaked ( just LSC ) SuperPi 32M on dice

5.57GHz 4cores/8threads CPU-z validation ( pending, x86-secret is down )

I shall be back soon
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Admin
    Nice Bill, about time you get a good one.

Xtreme Member
    Boy that is something new.Bill and a good rig?
    Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.It's a Christmas Miracle.....

Congrats mate.I can;t wait to fill my dewar + urs (30+lts of LN2) and bench that i7 out...

Tyler Durden
    Nice numbers bill, sorry to hear about your software troubles. I really hate it when poor software gets in the way of good hardware.
    Formerly XIP, now just P.

Xtreme XIP
    Nice Bill , great little session bro. it was a lot f fun huh , next time try Acronis it works better for me . Go Bill Go Go Go ...

Regards: Angelo

Crunch-Fu Adept
    hey buddy, seems we have similar misfortunes. My wicked self had a "DNAB" 950 too, but with only 5-6L LN2. Ran out of it shortly, in the middle of a nice SPi 32M run. 5,45G at 1,52V at -80°C. Hope more luck for both of us next time. Promising numbers u have there
    Sometimes a good slap in the face is all you need

Bios my arss.....
    I can fix this problem with a hardware mod....
    Hipro5

"Overclock till death. Overclocking is life." Hipro5

ODOC
    wicked, congrats with the chip man..

As stated, ACRONIS is the bomb you will diff not recret going ACRONIS instead of ghost

keep pushing it

Crunch-Fu Adept
    beware of partition alignement with SSD and Acronis! Only the latest version (2010) has partially fixed the issue.
    Sometimes a good slap in the face is all you need

Bios my arss.....
    I can fix this problem with a hardware mod....
    Hipro5

"Overclock till death. Overclocking is life." Hipro5

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Gogogo Bill
    400k in AQ3 is possible IMO

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nice 950 BZ....waiting for more results!!

More & more very expensive, quickly obsolete parts!!

Xtreme Member
    wow, thats a good cpu
    www.vitesse24.de
    www.vitesse24.de

C2Q q6600 3.3GHZ @ 1,184V
    4,5GHZ@ 1,52V ( 9* 500 )

Corsair Dominator 10000 2gb, 8888 2gb, 9136 1gb

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
    Nice Bill, about time you get a good one.
    So damn true, hope it lasts

Quote Originally Posted by crio View Post
    Boy that is something new.Bill and a good rig?
    Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.It's a Christmas Miracle.....

Congrats mate.I can;t wait to fill my dewar + urs (30+lts of LN2) and bench that i7 out...
    I was thinking of 60+ lt of LN2 and some additional dry ice for the VGAs.
    New years eve benching ?

Quote Originally Posted by EnJoY View Post
    Nice numbers bill, sorry to hear about your software troubles. I really hate it when poor software gets in the way of good hardware.
    Worry not, the software only managed to get in between me and the LN2 dewar
    Next time I'll just toss in some more HDDs and have a Windows installation ready on each HDD, no more Symantec/Norton ( sigh )

Quote Originally Posted by chispy View Post
    Nice Bill , great little session bro. it was a lot f fun huh , next time try Acronis it works better for me . Go Bill Go Go Go ...
    Thanks Angelo, it was fun indeed
    Next time it'll be serious business

Quote Originally Posted by Aerou View Post
    hey buddy, seems we have similar misfortunes. My wicked self had a "DNAB" 950 too, but with only 5-6L LN2. Ran out of it shortly, in the middle of a nice SPi 32M run. 5,45G at 1,52V at -80°C. Hope more luck for both of us next time. Promising numbers u have there
    I recovered a few screenshots, including a CPU-z validation with Turbo mode on at 242MHz BCLK
    Too bad I was out of LN2 when I tried that, I really wanted to check if it can run 3D at 24x

Good luck with your chip on your next session bro

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    wicked, congrats with the chip man..

As stated, ACRONIS is the bomb you will diff not recret going ACRONIS instead of ghost

keep pushing it
    Thanks Oliver
    I think I'll switch to my old solution to all software issues, multiple HDDs with various Windows installations ready
    Else, I'm gonna stick to the 100% functional solutions ( Norton Ghost 14 for Win XP / 2k3 / Vista ) and Windows Backup for Win 7

Quote Originally Posted by Aerou View Post
    beware of partition alignement with SSD and Acronis! Only the latest version (2010) has partially fixed the issue.
    Thanks for the warning & the info bro

Quote Originally Posted by sofos1990 View Post
    Gogogo Bill
    400k in AQ3 is possible IMO
    400k ? I think easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Expat GriZ View Post
    Nice 950 BZ....waiting for more results!!
    Next week or so, if I can stick to my plans

Quote Originally Posted by aslanwas View Post
    wow, thats a good cpu
    Thanks man, I think it has more to give, and I'll be more than happy if I can get to squeeze every single MHz out of it ( and keep it alive in the meantime )

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Mentor
    What a session BenchZowner !

You will remember next time

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post
    What a session BenchZowner !

You will remember next time
    Hopefully I will, I didn't take any notes of the settings that made the chip fly ( I think I remember using 1.5V CPU & IOH PLL, 1.4V IOH and +475mV VTT )
    Cleanup and review time now

- FYI guys here's the CPU info in case you want to hunt down the same batch of 950s:

Xtreme X.I.P.
    rofl and all that with only 12 liters

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Next time I'll get 60+ Lt of LN2, and I'll also have a clue about the CPUs coldboot/coldbug & benching clocks, and unless something radically changes or goes wrong I shall be back with scores for all the 3D benchmarks & the 2D ones except PC Mark ( maybe not )

One thing's for sure, K|ngp|n's pots are awesome and allowed me to bench for more time than I could in the past with other pots and 12 lt again.
    No kidding, with just 12lt I benched for 6 or 7 hours [ and I wasted some LN2 to find the coldbug for the card & the CPU ]

take me to the manbar
    disable that HT man :P.

i use prioaff to only run 2 cores for am3, so 8 is not needed ^_^. Excellent stuff tho, glad to see your bannana curse is BROKEN!

Xtreme Member
    Nice clocks on your GPU. CB @-180 C° lol^^

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    disable that HT man :P.

i use prioaff to only run 2 cores for am3, so 8 is not needed ^_^. Excellent stuff tho, glad to see your bannana curse is BROKEN!
    We can't be entirely sure about that

Way to go Bill, at last you'll enjoy proper overclocking potential

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    HWbot #1 i7 950 CPU-z grabbed
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=895835
    Wish I had some LN2 to test if it can bench at those BCLKs with Turbo Mode on ( none of my rest i7 950s can bench or even clock at all above 210MHz BCLK with T.M. enabled )

I've got a feeling that this chip can run AquaMark 3 @ 5600MHz, I guess we'll find out soon

Xtreme Addict
    whoa...i see you got the ball rolling in the right direction now

Xtreme Member
    Well done bro

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Had a short session today ( didn't went really well, stupid kneaded eraser insulation on the VGA didn't work well ), the scores aren't tweaked at all, so don't give me a lecture about the efficiency.
    I had to tweak the CPU settings from the beginning since I can't remember the settings I used the other time
    I'm BCLK limited ( and NB temp limited probably, 69C @ boot lol ) and got lots of stuff to check ( ideally on a -130C cascade ) to see if I can get past that stupid BCLK wall, check the settings & stuff affecting the CBB & CB ( Cold Boot Bug & Cold Bug ) and tweak the RAM sub-timings & cool the RAM with LN2 as well.

The CPU can do 5300+ 3D Mark06, 5500+ AquaMark 3 & Pi 32m, so unless someone can hook me up with a 5.7GHz+ 32m / AquaMark 3 - 5.5GHz 3D Mark06 chip, I'm fine ( somebody ?! )
    Will come back soon with proper scores with CPU + VGA/s + RAMs @ LN2 ( maybe LN2 on teh chipset too )

Xtreme Member
    Sick 950 you have... Nice results m8
    Intel i7 920 D0 @ 4.2GHz 1.27V under TRUE Black || Asus P6T|| 3x1GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz + 3x1GB Mushkin 1600MHz || Powercolor Radeon HD4870X2 2GB DDR5 || WD's Black (1+0.5)TB & Green 1TB || Corsair TX650 || Samsung 245B+ || Windows7 7600 RTM x64

I am Xtreme
    Congrats on a nice chip. Looks like you've had some good fun!
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast