Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: News Section

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
    Pretty sure this will end up just meaning all the discussion about news will take place in the general forums instead of the news forum
    Or people will just go to other web forums where these limits don't exist.

People only have to hit posting limits a few times before they get annoyed and quit posting altogether. XS is a good site, but people need to get perspective, XS won't retain members if it's run like everyone is guilty before proven innocent.

So far the best idea in this thread is for mods to stop deleting posts that get people banned and instead edit them and leave them as examples. At least it won't be a big mystery when people get banned and they have something to refer to if they want to challenge it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    I prefer it this way with a 500 posts limit. Clean and nice. We can still read news with less than 500 posts.

Banned Movieman...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    I prefer it this way with a 500 posts limit. Clean and nice. We can still read news with less than 500 posts.
    we might be able to read news, but we cant add to it.

With all due respect, moderators have to be willing to moderate.

We don't need more rules... we just need to enforce the ones we had. (prior to this)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I stopped reading daily the forums around two years ago, and the only reason that I am here again is because I wanted to post in a Thread about Western Digital new Hard Diskses. I spended a little time figuring out why I wasn't able to make a damn post until I readed this Thread, and guess what? This is one of the most extremist and absurd measures taken on any Forums that I have participated so far, because it doesn't allow me to participate to begin with.

Xtreme Mentor
    With so much stuff going on with the website, Im not surprised I dont see much activity. Even I dont visit the site much now.

I used to come here and find couple of threads in which I saw was worth participating in, but not anymore. Maybe one... every 3 days...

Xtreme Member
    Gona be devils advacate here, but it is working. Already the threads in the section seem more insightful. However I already dislike the felling that it is cut off from the rest of the forum, a bit like for sale
    CPU: Intel 2500k (4.8ghz)
    Mobo: Asus P8P67 PRO
    GPU: HIS 6950 flashed to Asus 6970 (1000/1400) under water
    Sound: Corsair SP2500 with X-Fi
    Storage: Intel X-25M g2 160GB + 1x1TB f1
    Case: Sivlerstone Raven RV02
    PSU: Corsair HX850
    Cooling: Custom loop: EK Supreme HF, EK 6970
    Screens: BenQ XL2410T 120hz

Help for Heroes

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodkin View Post
    Gona be devils advacate here, but it is working. Already the threads in the section seem more insightful. However I already dislike the felling that it is cut off from the rest of the forum, a bit like for sale
    Yup, the bad comes with the good. If XS wants a high participation/high membership rate then it will have people who don't play by the rules. If XS wants rules so strict it completely shuts down the crowd that pushes the line, then it will strangle everything else along with it. The only way to handle "negative" activity while maintaining maximum activity is to bust your butt and stay on top of the moderation (i.e. creating rules to reduce the moderation load isn't the solution) OR quit freaking out about not having total control and back off on the XtremeEnforcement, only dealing with really egregious situations and individuals (what's it's been up until recently). The last option is what 98% of the forums I have participated in do. Stacking up the rules always ends up being counter productive in the end.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    i guess i will be the first one to jump ship, this i s a private site so w/e, but i am not welcome here anymore. i bid farewell to all of my friends here. i will find a forum that values me.
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Banned Movieman...
    i would jump ship but i cant find the email to a certain member of another forum. this is complete bull considering i actually have ove 800 posts.

hell i can even provide email addresses and their passwords to the email accounts to prove i own the other account.

NooB MOD
    Aren't multiple accounts against the rules?
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, and if the forum is completely closed, it would probably work too (not allowing flamebaits and all).

The difference between a news forum and a news website it's that people can comment on the news, it's implications and so on. If you can't, the "forum" doesn't have any sense. So maybe for you and other few people that can comment on the news as it has always been "it's working". For me, and lots of other people, it isn't working at all.

The forum is more than broken right now. I hope it will be fixed.

Banned Movieman...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oj101 View Post
    Aren't multiple accounts against the rules?
    they arent when you forget the password, and the email server is down.

i made this one and asked if my passwird could be reset and he said the email server was down. so that makes it kinda hard to get a new password.

NooB MOD
    No worries, as you can see by the question mark is was a question, not accusation
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Engineering The Xtreme

Banned Movieman...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oj101 View Post
    No worries, as you can see by the question mark is was a question, not accusation
    i wast trying to be confrontational. lol.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    Yup, the bad comes with the good. If XS wants a high participation/high membership rate then it will have people who don't play by the rules. If XS wants rules so strict it completely shuts down the crowd that pushes the line, then it will strangle everything else along with it. The only way to handle "negative" activity while maintaining maximum activity is to bust your butt and stay on top of the moderation (i.e. creating rules to reduce the moderation load isn't the solution) OR quit freaking out about not having total control and back off on the XtremeEnforcement, only dealing with really egregious situations and individuals (what's it's been up until recently). The last option is what 98% of the forums I have participated in do. Stacking up the rules always ends up being counter productive in the end.
    Absolutely this. A strangehold is counter-productive in the long run.

It would be interesting to see the results of a poll on....which is worse, the handful of people arguing or the strangling new rules.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by god_43 View Post
    i guess i will be the first one to jump ship, this i s a private site so w/e, but i am not welcome here anymore. i bid farewell to all of my friends here. i will find a forum that values me.
    A shame really...

I remember that god_43 actually started out by posting in the news section and has in my opinion been contributing alot to the news section and it's a true shame if he's serious about leaving but I fully understand him he's done nothing wrong.

I was probably the first one to "thread crap" in the Fermi thread and it might very well be my fault it went downhill to begin with. I got banned from XS for 5 days and my News sections privileges have been revoked - fine I can totally accept that cause what I posted was stupid and very retarded all I can say is - I am sorry.

But a 500 post limit is ridiculous cause of other peoples stupidity like myself. Many people that posts, sorry used to post in the News Section was well below 500 posts but they were really contributing alot to the discussions in the news section, and no in my opinion it is not the people with "less than 500 posts" that start flame wars no way in hell. The people responsible for "ruining" the news section are the veterans or shall I say the people with high post counts. And again 500? The FOR SALE SECTION only needs 100 posts for crying out loud, it should be the reverse if anything!

What do you, the XS staff want in the news sections? People with high post counts(quantity) who b**ches and moans all the time, or people with low post counts(quality) that thinks before they post and therefor has less post counts? Throw out the veterans who've been lurking and posting useful stuff, and let the spammers reign that's a good idea.

All you've done with this change is to ruin XS, the news section is invaluable for this forum period.

Again I am sorry for being such a retard in the GT300/Fermi thread but that shouldn't affect others and I honestly support your decision to revoke access to News Section for me and many others who's been thread crapping. Speaking about revoking access, can you explain to me why we who were banned can't even read the News Section? I fully understand not being able to reply/post topics. There is a way to get around this which is logging out but that's just plain annoying... People with revoked News Access should atleast be able to read but not post.

Really hope you guys get this thing sorted out, others shouldn't have to pay for other idiots mistakes like mine.
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

no sleep, always tired TheGoat Eater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartidiot89 View Post
    People with revoked News Access should atleast be able to read but not post.
    simple really... log out and look at the news section w/o being logged in

Xtreme Addict
    I think all the points brought up about the For Sale section and how people barred from the news can't even read the forums are quite good ones. Open an ear, guys.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Personally I've 300 posts... 0.7 a day over 15 months. I'm not going to 'earn' another 200 posts as to do so will essentially require 200 posts of spam. Mostly because I'd have to post in sections that I'm not interested in. If I was to post only reasonable comments in places that I am interested I suspect it would take me about 3 years. Spam would do it faster, provided that spam wasn't trolling. Could the mods please advise wheres the incentive for quality posts? I've always put in the effort before.

Then there are others with 25000 posts who post nothing but junk.

Goodbye XS. Which isnt a threat or anything. I'm just not putting up with it. I'll check back a couple times to see if something more sensible is implemented (see recommendation at bottom) but I'm expecting to simply disappear. I'm very disappointed. This site was my 'time out' at work.

Quote Originally Posted by randomizer View Post
    I basically only post in the news section. If I had under 500 posts I'd never be able to post again.
    Thats what just happened to me. Don't laugh - its real. More false positives than trolls killed I would suggest.

Its no better than normal:

1) A great number of trolls have > 500 posts. Even self confessed ones from this thread.
    2) It only just happened. Yes there are trolls, but you dont get 100's of troll posts overnight. There hasn't been time to accrue any troll posts yet.
    3) Theres a bit of fear in some users right now, for sure, for those with >500 who know whats going on. They'll think twice before posting.

It wont take long until this becomes a nearly useless measure. Just wait about a month until xmas is over, people are back from holidays, and the trolls lose their sense of fear.

For a recommendation on a system that would be far superior, see sig:
    Last edited by gumballguy; 12-21-2009 at 04:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Today: "MPAA threatens to disconnect Google from the Internet"
    Tomorrow: "Google removes MPAA term from its search engine"
    Day after tomorrow: "No one remembers who or what MPAA is , nor cares anymore"

Xtreme Member
    I understand not being able to start threads, but there is no reason that I can't participate in discussions by replying previously started threads. I've been a member since 2006, its kind of unfair to treat us like children because we don't have time to remain constantly active.
    eXt 4
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 5GHz | Asus Maximus GENE-Z | Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 | eVga GTX 580 SC 1000/2300 | SeaSonic Platinum Platinum-860 | Corsir Force GT 60GB/WD Green 1.5TB
    XSPC dual bay res w/ Laing D5/ XSPC Raystorm CPU Block / EK-FC580 GTX+ GPU block / XSPC RX240 / XSPC RX360 / All Yate D12Sm-12 Fans / NZXT case

St0rage
    AMD Phenom II 965 @ 3.6GHz | Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H | Corsair XMS 8GB DDR2-1066 | 785G integrated | Corsiar TX 750 | WD Green 2.0TB
    Thermalright VenomousX, ALL Yate D12SL-12 FANS

Xtreme Member
    Ouch 500 posts? Looks like it'll be years before i can post in the news section There has to be a better way...

Life's Replay
    Oh wow. I can't believe anybody actually even seriously considered implementing this, the fact that it went through is laughable.
    Self-proclaimed and convincing.

Intel i5 760 | Prolimatech Genesis CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 480 | Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II GPU Cooler | Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 5 TB+ of storage | Corsair Obsidian 550d | Corsair HX850

13" Macbook Pro

Nikon D90 | Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 Macro HSM | Nikon SB-900 | Braun 5000

Twitter | Life's Replay

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast