Thread: How much voltage on air (winter air duct mod) for a 955 is safe?

Xtreme Enthusiast

How much voltage on air (winter air duct mod) for a 955 is safe?

Hi guys!
    I know is all about C3 now but let poor me have some fun with my C2 as well.
    I currently got my 955 to be OCCT stable at 4014Mhz and NB 2678 showing 1.53v on Windows 7 64 bits.
    Due to the winter temps and air duct that I am using plus my new Noctua NH-D14 with triple fan power, my load temp on the last run was max 43C.
    How far do you think I can safely push this to?

I was able to run Cinebench 64 at 4095 without changing any voltages from my previous 4014 run but OCCT gave me a bsod a few minutes into it.

Sorry for the bad pic.
    Thanks for any recommendations.
    Last edited by shaolin95; 12-18-2009 at 07:31 AM.
    *CPU: Xeon X5650 @ 4.3 Ghz | Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme
    *Asus Rampage III Formula | RAM: 36GB DDR3 (Tracer LED + Hyper X Savage)
    *Video Cards: Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Z | PSU: Corsair HX1000W | Display: BenQ PD3200u | JVC RS520 projector
    *Case: CoolerMaster HAF X (932 side panel) | Others: Roccat Kone AIMO | Roccat Alumic | Logitech G15 |Cameras: Sony A7R3 | RX100 V

According to AMD, the silicon is voltage-safe up to 1.55V. So long as temps are kept reasonable, you should be fine with 1.53V like you're using.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So I am almost running out of voltage to push it to the max it can give me I guess.
    *CPU: Xeon X5650 @ 4.3 Ghz | Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme
    *Asus Rampage III Formula | RAM: 36GB DDR3 (Tracer LED + Hyper X Savage)
    *Video Cards: Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Z | PSU: Corsair HX1000W | Display: BenQ PD3200u | JVC RS520 projector
    *Case: CoolerMaster HAF X (932 side panel) | Others: Roccat Kone AIMO | Roccat Alumic | Logitech G15 |Cameras: Sony A7R3 | RX100 V

Xtreme Addict
    maybe if you could improve the duct mod to give u more cold air, and thus drop your temps? what r your temps like outside? i have seen ppl on 1.56+ on air i guess it is up to you on how long u want to get out of the chip

Dragon
    http://smbach.com/mad.gif

Opty 175 Rig
    Lian-Li PC75B case, Thermaltake BT w/ 165 CFM delta fan, Enermax 550watt PSU (36A on 12+), x1950 Pro, DFI Lanparty NForce 4 Ultra-d (moded for SLI so that i can use the second slot at 8x), Opteron 175 CCBWE 0547 TMPW (2.80, 280x10, 1.5 volts), 2x1gb Mushkin Redline xp4000 (280 3-3-2-8, 2.65 volts), 80GB WD

AM3 Rig
    Lian-Li PC-75b case, Asus Crosshair III Formula, 965 x4 C3 @ 4.1 1.525 volts 2.8 NB 1.25 volts, 2x2gb Dominator GT Cas 8 2000Mhz@ 1720 6-6-5-18-22 1.725 volts, Asus 5770 VT @1010/1435, Seasonic 850watt PSU 2x12v rails 40 amps each, 36GB raptor boot drive, 80GB WD storage drive, HeatKiller LT cpu block, BI GTX 360 with 6x Scythe 3000RPM fans in push/pull, MCP 655 variable pump on setting 5, EK 150ml res, all 1/2 inch

DFI NF4 BIOS Guide

There's no hard limit on voltage. Like FD mentioned, it's basically a matter of degradation rate. If you give it 3V, it'll degrade in about 2 seconds. At 1.0V it may last for decades. 1.55 is as high as AMD recommends for their 45nm SOI process.
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Nerdy Powerlifter
    So 945 can take 1.55v as well?
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Synthetickiller View Post
    So 945 can take 1.55v as well?
    Mine have tho I find 1.45v to be the sweet spot.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A: