Thread: Best software to spy on peoples computers?

Best software to spy on peoples computers?

hey, im not trying to be a hacker or spy on someone cos im a sicko. im just worried about my son who just recently has been getting packages through the mail and im pretty sure its linked to how he's getting ahold of the things he is.. such as brass knuckles and throwing knives. i just want to know the best software that can enable me to see what he is doing on the internet without him getting upset thinking i dont trust him.
    don't give me a spew on parenting or your parenting advice. i just want to know a software that will help me get to the bottom of this,thank you

Engineering The Xtreme
    how old is your son? just take away his credit card access if hes under 18 - buying weapons is never a good recreation (thats the responsible me talking) altho one of my brothers has a blow dart gun thats pretty fun to mess around with

Use OpenDNS, that way you can ban urls and log them through their web interface.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mid UK. Lift a few rocks, eventually you will find me.
    Using OpenDNS is a good suggestion, but if your son discovers he is being logged and blocked via OpenDNS he can simply change DNS servers in network settings. If your son does not clear his browsing history, this can be used to find out which sites he has been visiting. Web pages are usually cached by the browser and looking through this cache will reveal web pages that he has visited. The location of this cache is browser dependent. As you have not revealed what OS or browser is in use, here are some links to help you locate the cache folder for IE:

http://www.walkernews.net/2008/03/17...-cache-folder/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporary_Internet_Files

If using Firefox entering "about:cache" without quotes in the address bar will reveal cache location and contents.

There are a lot of commercial products available and here are some links I Scroogled. This software is unknown to me so I neither recommend nor advise against any of them.

http://www.track4win.com/

http://www.loadtrend.com/realspy/

http://www.download3k.com/Security/O...r-Monitor.html

http://www.rohos.com/kid-logger/

I do recommend you check user reviews of any spyware you plan to install.
    Fun Box: Asus P8Z68-V GEN3++Corsair AX850++i5 2500k@4.5Ghz-1.272v++Corsair A50++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++MSI R7970 Lightning++Audigy2 Plat-EX++TBS 6280 DVB-T2 tuner++256Gb OCZ Vertex 4.500Gb Caviar Black.500Gb Seagate Barracuda++Sony AD7240s++Lian-Li PC-60++Linux Mint/Win 7++Asus P238Q

Work Box: Gigabyte H61MA-DV3++Corsair HX620++i5 3450@stock++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++120Gb OCZ Agility 3++Linux Mint

Quantum theory in a nutshell: It's so small we don't know where it is, it could be here, it could be there.

Just 'cos it's legal don't make it right.

get a simple keylogger to see what he's up to - but you'll have to sift through tons of data and he wont have any privacy.

your call, I'm sure theres free ones but programming one is easy too

Quote Originally Posted by s1nykuL View Post
    Using OpenDNS is a good suggestion, but if your son discovers he is being logged and blocked via OpenDNS he can simply change DNS servers in network settings.
    Yup, This is something to look out for and is why a few router these days now do dns redirection too, to stop just this.

Quote Originally Posted by RHKCommander959 View Post
    get a simple keylogger to see what he's up to
    If you go down this route invest in a hardware keylogger. The software alternatives unless purchased will often set off AV/malware etc etc plus they can be infected themselves.
    Last edited by rogard; 12-30-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Remote Office Manager

_
    Set the DNS to OpenDNS through the router or just uninstall all internet browsers and disable his internet.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Go straight to the source and remove the internet, of coarse if he is doing it in your house
    then it is a privilege, not a right. Regardless of how you look at it, monitoring someones
    internet usage is taking away someones privacy. I know you didn't want a speel, but seems
    a lot easier than breaching someones privacy and, inevitably they're trust.

Other than that you would be better off just using one of the Firewalls with URL blockers,
    and just black listing the sites he is using.

Xtreme Addict
    How about giving him privacy and respect. Displaying high character and leading him with courage into whatever path of life he chooses

Or you could just spy on him some more, basically force him into hiding things from you, sneaking out to drink, joining gangs and stashing weapons with duct tape to his bed.

Talk to him, he's a ing human being.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I didn't exactly mean my comment to be as extreme as that ^
    I'm not a parent so I don't bother offering parenting advice.
    But from a logical perspective, if your RAM keeps breaking, then you
    don't keep blindly replacing it, you go to the source and fix
    the problem.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by allesye View Post
    hey, im not trying to be a hacker or spy on someone cos im a sicko. im just worried about my son who just recently has been getting packages through the mail and im pretty sure its linked to how he's getting ahold of the things he is.. such as brass knuckles and throwing knives. i just want to know the best software that can enable me to see what he is doing on the internet without him getting upset thinking i dont trust him.
    don't give me a spew on parenting or your parenting advice. i just want to know a software that will help me get to the bottom of this,thank you
    Uhhh! There are so many things wrong about this post I don't know where to start.

It really doesn't make any sense when your child has been getting knives and brass knuckles through the mail and you are still concerned that he might be upset if you ask him what the heck is going on.

It doesn't make any sense when you say you don't want to upset him by showing him you don't trust him but you feel ok to actually spy on him without his knowledge. So you are doing exactly (even worse than) what you said it may upset him.

It really doesn't make sense when you try to get a parenting advice at a forum frequented by 15-16 year old teenagers. This is really not the place to solve your family problems (even discuss or slightly mention them).

So with many factors making no sense, I suspect that you are either a extremely bad parent or you just made up this story to hide your real agenda which is probably, in your own words, "trying to be a hacker or spy on someone cos im a sicko."

Quote Originally Posted by SamHughe View Post
    Uhhh! There are so many things wrong about this post I don't know where to start.

It really doesn't make any sense when your child has been getting knives and brass knuckles through the mail and you are still concerned that he might be upset if you ask him what the heck is going on.

It doesn't make any sense when you say you don't want to upset him by showing him you don't trust him but you feel ok to actually spy on him without his knowledge. So you are doing exactly (even worse than) what you said it may upset him.

It really doesn't make sense when you try to get a parenting advice at a forum frequented by 15-16 year old teenagers. This is really not the place to solve your family problems (even discuss or slightly mention them).

So with many factors making no sense, I suspect that you are either a extremely bad parent or you just made up this story to hide your real agenda which is probably, in your own words, "trying to be a hacker or spy on someone cos im a sicko."
    yea i agree with sam, even though im not a parent yet, why would u post something like this on a computer forum? the best thing to do would be to go and directly ask your son what he is up to

TKS for all suggestion.My problem has been solved

Xtreme Cruncher
    I seem to believe you are much younger than you lead on to be... most adults with children do not use "cos".

I would have to agree with the other posters in that you simply created a story to gain the knowledge you needed to be a script kiddy.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMinionX View Post
    I seem to believe you are much younger than you lead on to be... most adults with children do not use "cos".

I would have to agree with the other posters in that you simply created a story to gain the knowledge you needed to be a script kiddy.
    Lol! I think he IS the son who is getting all the illegal stuff and just trying to find out if his old man could be spying on him.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by SamHughe View Post
    Lol! I think he IS the son who is getting all the illegal stuff and just trying to find out if his old man could be spying on him.
    That is probably true as well

I used :banana::banana::banana::banana: filter to block some unhealthy sites in my son's computer,it's uesful.But before installed,i had told him the truth and he also agreed

Xtreme Addict
    TKS for all suggestion.My problem has been solved
    so how did you actually fix your problem sir???

Muslim Overclocker
    I bet all the people complaining about privacy are under 19. All the ones suggesting he take action are older than 20

My watercooling experience

Water
    Scythe Gentle Typhoons 120mm 1850RPM
    Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator
    Enzotech Sapphire Rev.A CPU Block
    Laing DDC 3.2
    XSPC Dual Pump Reservoir
    Primochill Pro LRT Red 1/2"
    Bitspower fittings + water temp sensor

Rig
    E8400 | 4GB HyperX PC8500 | Corsair HX620W | ATI HD4870 512MB

I see what I see, and you see what you see. I can't make you see what I see, but I can tell you what I see is not what you see. Truth is, we see what we want to see, and what we want to see is what those around us see. And what we don't see is... well, conspiracies.

Xtreme Addict
    if i would have a familly they would be educated so they wouldnt end up messed up like op's children or if op is infact the kid in the picture he wouldnt end up messed up if he were my kid.... but hey its easier to spy on your kids..... band-aid approach = fail parenting....

Xtreme Member
    OP, interecept packages and talk to your son? Is this a laptop or desktop? No matter what you do there is really nothing you can do outside enterprise grade hardware/software to block/monitor his activity. why not just cut off the funding or talk to him?