Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oak Ridge cans Nvidia based Fermi supercomputer (SemiAccurate News)

Oak Ridge cans Nvidia based Fermi supercomputer (SemiAccurate News)

This can't be good for Nvidia if it's true.

REMEMBER THE TRIUMPHANT WIN for Fermi at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory that Nvidia heavily touted at its GTC conference keynote? The supercomputer project was just killed for power reasons. Fermi power reasons. Whoops.
    link
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
    - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Xtreme Cruncher
    tsubame is still in line for fermi and they have a 1 megawatt power budget.

that sucks it was cancelled. it could have done a lot of research.

Xtreme Addict
    So fermis use a lot of power? That's not usually an issue with supercomputers unless the perf/W is also low.

Xtreme Addict
    190TDP for the 3gb base model quadro
    My guess is they did not want to wait until early Q2 2010....
    Stop looking at the walls, look out the window

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbucket843 View Post
    tsubame is still in line for fermi and they have a 1 megawatt power budget.

that sucks it was cancelled. it could have done a lot of research.
    im sure they will do even more research with better cards

Xtreme Member
    It's all good. I know of a nice place in 'Longhorn Country' that is under NDA developing a visual setup with Fermi as we speak
    Gaming/Rendering rig:
    eVGA X58 Tri-SLI
    Intel i7-970 w/ Corsair H100
    24gigs Corsair 2000s
    eVGA GTX580 3GB
    Too many HDD's
    LG Blu-ray player
    Corsair hx1050 psu
    Corsair 800D case

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Machinus View Post
    im sure they will do even more research with better cards
    You mean the ones that don't exist?
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 003 View Post
    You mean the ones that don't exist?
    ATIs cards seem pretty real to me.

Xtreme Mentor
    You said "better cards" though, which rules out any current ATI cards. Future card I'm not sure.
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Member
    Yes, because assuming that a card will be better than one that is not released yet it a logical thought process.
    Whats up?

Xtreme Mentor
    Well CUDA on GT200 already makes the OpenCL implementation on any ATI card look broken by comparison and CUDA is going to be further improved on Fermi so it would logical to assume it is better yet.

Xtreme Addict

Xtreme Mentor
    I want them to use ati cards instead i'd find it hilarious..

anyway this foreshadowing high power req's I reckon.. they have to do something with power anyways they can ONLY have 300w right :S cos of pcie spec? but yeah :S external power would be the way forward.... I wish we had somethign to more efficiently cool these cards. (by these cards i mean ALL modern cards)
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Guru
    Interesting, some sources have stated it wasn't cancelled but rather expanded and given a new name. That could be why Charlie heard it was cancelled.

I highly suggest you wait for official confirmation from ORNL on this one. They are usually very up front with their press announcements even if they are cancelling a project.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Interesting, some sources have stated it wasn't cancelled but rather expanded and given a new name. That could be why Charlie heard it was cancelled.

I highly suggest you wait for official confirmation from ORNL on this one. They are usually very up front with their press announcements even if they are cancelling a project.
    What sources are these? I'd love to see them and I hate Charlie!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You said "better cards" though, which rules out any current ATI cards. Future card I'm not sure.
    No, ATIs current cards will beat anything nVidia releases in the next year for power efficiency. And it sounds like 5890 will actually be faster than fermi anyway, and come out sooner. So no, nVidia loses no matter which way you look at it.

Xtreme Mentor
    No, ATIs current cards will beat anything nVidia releases in the next year for power efficiency. And it sounds like 5890 will actually be faster than fermi anyway, and come out sooner. So no, nVidia loses no matter which way you look at it.
    You must know something I don't considering there is zero official information on power and performance on the 5890 and the power and performance of the GeForce based Fermi. Even I don't have that specific information with the NDA info.

Xtreme Addict
    Are you guys seriously talking about power efficiency? The competition is CPUs and the most power inefficient GPU is still far more efficient than the best CPU.

In either case Fermi has no competition. HD 58xx's gaming performance means squat in an environment where Fermi's ECC support and cache hierarchy are a big deal.

Xtreme Cruncher
    actually you would be wrong. even if they were they would not even be a scalable or reliable option. fermi will tear apart r800 in double precision too.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You must know something I don't considering there is zero official information on power and performance on the 5890 and the power and performance of the GeForce based Fermi. Even I don't have that specific information with the NDA info.
    Apparently I do know something you don't. It is common knowledge that the 5800 series has the best power efficiency in several generations and 5890 is not going to be any different. At the moment ATI has shipped about a million of these cards, while nVidia is still selling the same 8800 GTX from ten years ago with different plastic on it (I'm not counting the fake fermi boards that were at the development conference, also with different plastic on them).

If nVidia can ever figure out how to design chips at 40nm so that they actually work when they come out of the factory, they can sell a product...until then ATI is going to be planning exactly how they are going to spoil the launch day. If you read any sort of news about the GPU industry you would have sold your stock in nVidia desktop graphics by now...I'd suggest getting out before it's too late

Xtreme Addict
    actually you would be wrong. even if they were they would not even be a scalable or reliable option. fermi will tear apart r800 in double precision too.
    LMAO, and what do you base that statement on? 003 and his fans are hilarious!!!

Im not saying Fermi can not beat ATI's cards, but hell... nobody knows what Fermi will be like ATM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by nullface View Post

Im not saying Fermi can not beat ATI's cards, but hell... nobody knows what Fermi will be like ATM.
    nvidia already announced speed of tesla. so thank you for the insult. if you dont believe me go on their website.

the scalability and reliablity is from ecc which no other gpu has.

Xtreme Mentor
    Apparently I do know something you don't. It is common knowledge that the 5800 series has the best power efficiency in several generations and 5890 is not going to be any different. At the moment ATI has shipped about a million of these cards, while nVidia is still selling the same 8800 GTX from ten years ago with different plastic on it (I'm not counting the fake fermi boards that were at the development conference, also with different plastic on them).

If nVidia can ever figure out how to design chips at 40nm so that they actually work when they come out of the factory, they can sell a product...until then ATI is going to be planning exactly how they are going to spoil the launch day. If you read any sort of news about the GPU industry you would have sold your stock in nVidia desktop graphics by now...I'd suggest getting out before it's too late
    So what exactly is the TDP of the high end Fermi based GeForce? And what about 3D performance? Because without that information you can not logically make the claims you are trying to assert.

Quote Originally Posted by nullface View Post

OpenCL implementation on ATI is garbage. Talk to any programmer who has done work with ATI and OpenCL and Nvidia CUDA. CUDA is much more straightforward and intuitive and supported, and better performing as well (more direct access to the GPU). And it's about to get a lot better with Fermi. Plus Fermi has ECC which will be the deciding factor for any organizations and institutions who are serious about GPGPU.

Xtreme Addict
    nvidia already announced speed of tesla. so thank you for the insult. if you dont believe me go on their website.

the scalability and reliablity is from ecc which no other gpu has.
    And GeForce wont have it ether (Quadro only), or that is what the "The GT300/Fermi Thread" tells me, again quotes with no source.
    Show me an actual review/benchmark and i will believe everything, till then i will just laugh my ass to hell and back every time someone hypes Fermi or even the 5800 over Fermi.

Xtreme Mentor
    It is a very good thing that GeForce won't have ECC. It is a significant performance hit. Especially because it is 2-bit ECC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast