Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [XBL] AMD will launch 12-core in March

Xtreme Mentor

Exclamation [XBL] AMD will launch 12-core in March

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...h_Sources.html

Quote Originally Posted by Xbit Labs
    Advanced Micro Devices will launch its twelve-core AMD Opteron “Magny-Cours” central processing units (CPUs) for high-end servers in March, 2010, sources close to the company revealed. AMD plans to unveil a broad family of twelve- and eight-core chips for multi-processor machines with different performance and thermal design power points
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Member
    only if i could afford it
    Phenon II x4 955 (3.7ghz)/athlon II x2 245 (3.7ghz), Mugen 2 , gigabyte 790xt ud4p, 5770 1000/1420 , 4GB ddr3

http://superclock.mysmf.com 5770 1ghz bench

evga failed

Quote Originally Posted by Vit^pr0n View Post
    Can we just ban this guy? We don't need people coming in here claiming they know someone that's under NDA. Everything that comes out of this posters posts are nothing but delusions from a fanboy.

Xtreme Addict
    these will be just MMC and not native chips. Not a bad idea for a stop gap till bulldozer
    Desktop:
    Antec 300
    Foxcon A7AD-S 790GX
    8GB Gskill PC-1066@5/5/5/12
    PII X940 BE @3.6GHZ
    Sunbeam Core Contact
    2x 640GB in Raid 0+1
    4870 512MB@800/1000
    Vista Business 64bit W/ SP1

Xtreme Mentor
    A "broad family of twelve- and eight-core chips", and some of these for desktop? seams like a good move to counter Intel's upcoming 6-cores.

Lets hope these gets into desktop too, because they can do the same to Intel-CPU prices that 4870X2 did to Nvidia GPU-prices.

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (BIOS 1305)
    2600K @4.5GHz 1.27v , 1 hour Prime
    Silver Arrow , push/pull
    2x2GB Crucial 1066MHz CL7 ECC @1600MHz CL9 1.51v
    GTX560 GB OC @910/2400 0.987v
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 400MB RAMDisk
    CM Storm Scout + Corsair HX 1000W
    +
    EVGA SR-2 , A50
    2 x Xeon X5650 @3.86GHz(203x19) 1.20v
    Megahalem + Silver Arrow , push/pull
    3x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600 CL7 + 3x4GB G.SKILL Trident 1600 CL7 = 18GB @1624 7-8-7-20 1.65v
    XFX GTX 295 @650/1200/1402
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 2GB RAMDisk
    SilverStone Fortress FT01 + Corsair AX 1200W

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by vengance_01 View Post
    these will be just MMC and not native chips. Not a bad idea for a stop gap till bulldozer
    Yeah a 12 and 8 core monolithic MPUs done on 45nm node is real smart... Not.
    The MCM via DirectConnect is much much more efficient than the one intel done via FSB in the past. Not only it's efficient but is also cost effective.AMD already bins EE parts,now they will take the best of the best of those and make EE 12 and 8 core ones,much simpler than to test and validate the hypothetical monolithic 12/8 core dice ( uneconomical and taking huge die area with a much more possibilities for defects). With the MagnyC. MCM you will get a 4 channel DDR3 IMC too,the good part of the way AMD does MCM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_oslo View Post
    A "broad family of twelve- and eight-core chips", and some of these for desktop? seams like a good move to counter Intel's upcoming 6-cores.

Lets hope these gets into desktop too, because they can do the same to Intel-CPU prices that 4870X2 did to Nvidia GPU-prices.
    Except adding cores doesn't really do much after a point. They need to step up IPC, and step down power consumption. Intel CPUs are faster clock for clock and use less power to boot. That is what really hampers AMD CPUs.
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 003 View Post
    Except adding cores doesn't really do much after a point. They need to step up IPC, and step down power consumption. Intel CPUs are faster clock for clock and use less power to boot. That is what really hampers AMD CPUs.
    What?!. Even if the use less power to boot (again.. what?!) witch they might do, i dont know, it cant possible be a very significant factor to choose one over the other. "Boot power consumption"

Xtreme Mentor
    Both Intel and AMD quads are overkill for "normal" desktop use, anyways. Therefore they perform almost the same for desktop-applications and game-use.

Those who really need CPU-power, using CPU-hungry applications (like 3D-render, video encoding/decoding, and alike ... ) won't get better performance of 12core 2GHZ than 6core 3GHZ?.
    Last edited by Sam_oslo; 12-16-2009 at 08:56 AM.

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (BIOS 1305)
    2600K @4.5GHz 1.27v , 1 hour Prime
    Silver Arrow , push/pull
    2x2GB Crucial 1066MHz CL7 ECC @1600MHz CL9 1.51v
    GTX560 GB OC @910/2400 0.987v
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 400MB RAMDisk
    CM Storm Scout + Corsair HX 1000W
    +
    EVGA SR-2 , A50
    2 x Xeon X5650 @3.86GHz(203x19) 1.20v
    Megahalem + Silver Arrow , push/pull
    3x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600 CL7 + 3x4GB G.SKILL Trident 1600 CL7 = 18GB @1624 7-8-7-20 1.65v
    XFX GTX 295 @650/1200/1402
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 2GB RAMDisk
    SilverStone Fortress FT01 + Corsair AX 1200W

Xtreme Mentor
    Both Intel and AMD quads are overkill for "normal" desktop use, anyways. Therefore they perform almost the same for desktop-applications and game-use.

Those who really need CPU-power, using CPU-hungry applications (like 3D-render, video encoding/decoding, and alike ... ) won't get better performance of 12core 2GHZ than 6core 3GHZ?.
    I wouldn't be surprised if a 6-core Westmere based Xeon with HT would be enough to beat or come very very close to the performance of a native 12-core opteron, and even beat it in a number of scenarios.

That is currently the case with Nehalem-EX vs current Opterons. In fact Westmere has a slightly higher IPC than Bloomfield so that is another consideration.

That really says something about AMD's performance and efficiency.
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Member

That depends more on the software than anything; most programs suffer from diminishing returns the more cores you add due to inefficiency with many cores. for example, rendering/distributed computing could be faster if you split those twelve cores into three different VM's and so the programming sees each as a quadcore.

I am Xtreme
    Server only, so not so interesting I guess.
    Only 2.2GHz, though... So not really useful unless you have some very well threaded applications.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Cruncher
    You did notice that this thread is about server cpu's. Right?

Xtreme Member
    I wouldn't be surprised if a 6-core Westmere based Xeon with HT would be enough to beat or come very very close to the performance of a native 12-core opteron, and even beat it in a number of scenarios.

That is currently the case with Nehalem-EX vs current Opterons. In fact Westmere has a slightly higher IPC than Bloomfield so that is another consideration.

That really says something about AMD's performance and efficiency.
    I highly doubt that in server applications a 6 core 12-thread chip could come close to a native 12-core chip. In single-threaded applications, Intel wins. But where it counts in the server world, AMD won't be touched. Especially with new in-house north bridges. Desktop world, Intel is going to continue to dominate for the foreseeable future.
    eXt 4
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 5GHz | Asus Maximus GENE-Z | Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 | eVga GTX 580 SC 1000/2300 | SeaSonic Platinum Platinum-860 | Corsir Force GT 60GB/WD Green 1.5TB
    XSPC dual bay res w/ Laing D5/ XSPC Raystorm CPU Block / EK-FC580 GTX+ GPU block / XSPC RX240 / XSPC RX360 / All Yate D12Sm-12 Fans / NZXT case

St0rage
    AMD Phenom II 965 @ 3.6GHz | Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H | Corsair XMS 8GB DDR2-1066 | 785G integrated | Corsiar TX 750 | WD Green 2.0TB
    Thermalright VenomousX, ALL Yate D12SL-12 FANS

Back from the Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by NickF View Post
    I highly doubt that in server applications a 6 core 12-thread chip could come close to a native 12-core chip. In single-threaded applications, Intel wins. But where it counts in the server world, AMD won't be touched. Especially with new in-house north bridges. Desktop world, Intel is going to continue to dominate for the foreseeable future.
    In case you guys are interested in an early comparison between the two, there are some benches of a DP Magny-Cours (so 24 cores) done by s7e9h3n here vs. some benchies of a DP Westmere (12 cores / 24 threads) done by me here

Of course, it's too early to tell, but it seems that clock-for-clock, the Magny-Cours will slightly beat the Westmere in heavily multithreaded apps, while I suspect the Westmere will clock higher due to 32nm process. It also wins in memory-intensive tasks due to the higher bandwidth of the LGA1366 platform and the Tri-Channel DDR3 IMC.

All in all, I'd love to run both for crunching
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    In case you guys are interested in an early comparison between the two, there are some benches of a DP Magny-Cours (so 24 cores) done by s7e9h3n here vs. some benchies of a DP Westmere (12 cores / 24 threads) done by me here

Of course, it's too early to tell, but it seems that clock-for-clock, the Magny-Cours will slightly beat the Westmere in heavily multithreaded apps, while I suspect the Westmere will clock higher due to 32nm process. It also wins in memory-intensive tasks due to the higher bandwidth of the LGA1366 platform and the Tri-Channel DDR3 IMC.

MC will have 4 ch. DDR3 IMC.

Back from the Dead
    Really? That's even better then! I just hope mobos/chips won't be too expensive (note that expensive is relative with DPs.. Intels aren't exactly cheap either lol)
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Why not, 4 core/ 8 thread Nehalem is already easily the match for a 6 core Istanbul at the same clockspeed. And since Magny Cours will be much more limited in clock speed versus 32nm Gulftown combined with Amdahl's Law, it seems very likely that Gulftown will be capable of matching the multi-threaded throughput of Magny Cours.
    Last edited by accord99; 12-16-2009 at 10:47 AM.

Xtreme Mentor

http://www.hwbot.org/signature.img?i...35&thumb=false

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/8140/wprime155a.jpg

500Mhz is not a slight difference in my book. Both you people are using ram clocked around 700Mhz, you are using 12GB and he is using 8GB..

If this 12 core opty does sell around $1k mark intel has a problem. Too bad i only have one i9 aka i7 980 "Intel this name sucks BTW" and a desktop variety mobo
    Last edited by ajaidev; 12-16-2009 at 11:14 AM.
    Coming Soon

Back from the Dead
    Well it's only one app... can't draw a final conclusion from wprime (old V. 1,55 no less).
    I would like to see a Fryrender run on Stephen's part, it really is optimized for state-of-the-art hardware.

All I could find was this overclocked Quad Istanbul which also has 24 cores, and is clocked similarly high vs the DP Westmere

Xtreme Addict
    what about the old performance per watt metric? If the performance is close between westmere and Magny-Cours It is pretty obvious what one will be sucking more power.

Xtreme Mentor
    I highly doubt that in server applications a 6 core 12-thread chip could come close to a native 12-core chip.
    Nehalem-EX already does that See the linked sources posted in the thread.

Back from the Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by gallag View Post
    what about the old performance per watt metric? If the performance is close between westmere and Magny-Cours It is pretty obvious what one will be sucking more power.
    If I had to guess, I'd say Westmeres are more power-efficient. Due to their 32nm process, they draw less power than a Bloomfield (with identical clocks/voltages) despite having 50% more cores/threads. I can't see the Magny-Cours using less power than current Phenom II's with it having 3x the core count and the same 45nm process.

Xtreme Mentor
    If I had to guess, I'd say Westmeres are more power-efficient. Due to their 32nm process, they draw less power than a Bloomfield (with identical clocks/voltages) despite having 50% more cores/threads. I can't see the Magny-Cours using less power than current Phenom II's with it having 3x the core count and the same 45nm process.
    +1

But the 32nm is still in its starting stages, where in Q1 2010 AMD's 45nm will be as good as it could get. Even then i dont think AMD can really do much against Intel because of such a huge core count.

What matters is overall system consumption and blade performance/watt....
    If its bad AMD chip will sell cheap cheap cheap, great for us well the ones who have G34 mobo's
    Coming Soon

Quote Originally Posted by accord99 View Post
    Why not, 4 core/ 8 thread Nehalem is already easily the match for a 6 core Istanbul at the same clockspeed. And since Magny Cours will be much more limited in clock speed versus 32nm Gulftown combined with Amdahl's Law, it seems very likely that Gulftown will be capable of matching the multi-threaded throughput of Magny Cours.
    Just as a quickie using CB10, I've found my Istanbuls at home to outperform the Nehalems at work. Yay extra cores! Boo tests that suck beyond about 8 cores.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Back from the Dead
    Yeah, boo Cinebench 10. Especially since it doesn't support more than 16 threads. We really need a CB11.

Had to shut off HT to get a proper result

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast