Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD cuts to the core with 'Bulldozer' Opterons

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sorry, I am on so many different forums that I forget to add a signature. I put in my standard one (that the lawyers want me to use...)

As to Bulldozer and chipsets, I can only speak to servers. Bulldozer will be supported by the same 56x0 chipsets that support Magny Cours, Lisbon and even our Istanbul today.
    While I work for AMD, my posts are my own opinions.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/author/jfruehe/

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks for the info, JF-AMD
    Main Rig: Phenom II X6 1055T 95W @3562 (285x12.5) MHz, Corsair XMS2 DDR2 (2x2GB), Gigabyte HD7970 OC (1000 MHz) 3GB, ASUS M3A78-EM,
    Corsair F60 60 GB SSD + various HDDs, Corsair HX650 (3.3V/20A, 5V/20A, 12V/54A), Antec P180 Mini

Notebook: HP ProBook 6465b w/ A6-3410MX and 8GB DDR3 1600

Xtreme 3D Team
    Thanks, JF-AMD and very intuitive posts. They do not seem biased either, they just sound correct.
    Smile

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Believe it or not, the job of marketing is not to be biased. People see through that pretty quickly.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Believe it or not, the job of marketing is not to be biased. People see through that pretty quickly.
    With Bulldozer, what is the point of Magny Cours?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BatteryOperated View Post
    With Bulldozer, what is the point of Magny Cours?
    Temporary solution until Bulldozer is ready?

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    that's as far as I understand it, something to compete with nehalem in the server department (I believe it has quad channel memory) until bulldozer comes in. If I recall, it actually scales quite nicely in terms of power consumption, and is a decent counterpart to Intel performance:watt
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Cruncher
    MC = easier platform validation and preparation for seamless transition to BD based MPUs (and competing with Westmere based products in 2P and 4P until BD launches).
    By the time BD based cores launch,both chipset and memory for it will be validated and the platform will be ready to roll with the new cores.

Xtreme Mentor
    IMHO thats obvious: more performance than SocketF, establishing of the C32 and G34 platform that'll host Bulldozer, and creating bigger market for Registered DDR3 also can't be neglected!
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The Maranello platform (that supports both Magny Cours and Bulldozer) gets us to DDR-3. Our partners don't want to do a new microarchitecture and a new platform at the same time, so doing Magny Cours is the right move for them.

A 2-channel DDR-2 product would be very long in the tooth by the end of this year.

Xtreme Member
    Bulldozer=AMD's Netburst?

http://citavia.blog.de/2010/01/21/so...dozer-7850137/

All this info like the small L1 D$, 5 cycles latency increase for instructions with memory operands, longer latencies (+50%) for instructions compared to the previous architecture are further indications, that BD might be a high speed design. To those, who fear another Netburst: This might work out for BD due the very different characteristics of the 32nm process.

Xtreme Cruncher
    everything is hinting at high clocks so far. maybe 4-5GHz stock. a good comparison could be power7 rather than netnurst. AMD has been filing a lot of patents on silicon engineering lately. looks like they are focusing on dynamic power. that could hurt ln2 overclocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbucket843 View Post
    everything is hinting at high clocks so far. maybe 4-5GHz stock. a good comparison could be power7 rather than netnurst. AMD has been filing a lot of patents on silicon engineering lately. looks like they are focusing on dynamic power. that could hurt ln2 overclocking.
    True... not sure how it will affect desktop chips but at least for the opterons a lack of LN2 overclocking won't matter much. Servers are just simply too boring for that kind of stuff
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    No, it is actually a different design philosophy. AMD believes that based on the current technologies, the best way to solve multi-threaded problems is with more threads over more discrete cores.

In every architecture there will be shared and discrete components (look at L3 caches and memory controllers today). Within the integer core you can make resources either shared or discrete.

Shared resources need to be wide enough to allow for more throughput without bottlenecks or contention.

The challenge with hyperthreading (or SMT in the more generic sense) is that it's philosophy is about "filling the pipeline when one thread stalls" and not about driving better efficiency. In a perfectly efficient system, SMT would not be needed because there would be no gaps in the pipeline. (this world does not exist).

Think of SMT like carpooling. It may appear to be more efficient for 2 people to carpool to work and save money, but that depends on how far they live from each other and how far they live from work. Clearly if they live 3 miles apart and work is only 1 mile away, carpooling becomes less efficeint.

Having seperate cars may appear to be less efficeint, but if the car are hybrids and the carpool car was an SUV, suddenly the math starts to make sense.

The key with our architecture is that there are always cores always available (up to 16 per CPU). You won't find a case where you have 16 cores but you can only run 8 threads because the others are waiting for a chance to "jump in."

Long term, over time, you want to drive to greater CPU efficiency. Every time you increase efficiency with real cores, you have the potential to get more overall throughput. Every time you increase efficiency on SMT you may simply "squeeze the balloon." More efficiency in the primary thread means less opportunity for the SMT thread to "jump in" so you get a net zero gain in throughput.
    So you mean AMD is going to scarify single-thread performance in favour for multi-thread performance in coming architectures?

And what is the estimation of transistor count for each module? About 160 mil?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qcmadness View Post
    So you mean AMD is going to scarify single-thread performance in favour for multi-thread performance in coming architectures?
    Sounds like a core's clock frequency has to be constant all the time and that a core couldn't be powered off. But that's not the case.
    And one of the knobs to increase single thread performance is a rather simple one, not requiring hundreds of engineers. Most XS members do that at home.
    Last edited by Dresdenboy; 01-27-2010 at 01:21 AM.
    Now on Twitter: @Dresdenboy!
    Blog: http://citavia.blog.de/

Xtreme Addict
    It better be. Storm clouds are beginning to appear over 32nm for the IBM alliance group. Whenever Intel presented a new process breakthrough, IBM soon followed with a press release in a "me too" fashion. The fact that they needed 18-24 months more than Intel to actually get the process working and release some actual parts was a second story.

Apparently the same happened on 32nm. The problem is bigger however : IBM has made a mistake or so believe other players in the industry. The gate first approach doesn't work. Nothing sucks than to find out you need to reinvent the wheel and start all over again developing a process. How much will it take ? 12 months maybe more, depending on how soon they deciphered and learned what Intel did and how to implement it in their own process.

What does that mean for IBM Alliance customers ? AMD planned to go with a very risky proposition : new uarch and new process. History tells us that is a lousy bet. Imagine the engineers from the Bulldozer team. They've designed the CPU based on given process characteristics, all their models and simulations. Now there is a chance everything might change. A bit nervous ? Of course they are silent at the outside; but I bet Bulldozer will fail to appear in 2011. Fortunately they have who to blame : IBM and GF.

Concerns about threshold voltage shifts and other performance problems with the gate-first approach to high-k/metal gate creation may cause GlobalFoundries (Sunnyvale, Calif.) and other members of the IBM-led Fishkill Alliance to shift to a gate-last technique, sources said at the International Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM), going on this week in Baltimore.

"My understanding is that the subsequent thermal steps are causing problems with the gate-first approach," said a senior vice president at Qualcomm Corp. (San Diego) who was attending IEDM. "GlobalFoundries seeks a gate-last approach, and if necessary they could drop in a gate-last module independent of IBM," the Qualcomm executive said.

Asked about the potential switch, a senior IBM technology manager said continuance of the gate-first approach after the current 32/28 nm generation is under review. Any shift to a gate-last approach, if it occurs, would come at the 22 nm node or later. "Both of the gate formation approaches have their problems, and there is no doubt that the gate-first approach is significantly simpler," he said, asking not to be identified. "For IBM, gate first will work well at the 32 nm generation, and I would not underestimate the power of incumbency, which could take it to the next (22 nm) generation. After that, we'll have to see what happens."
    http://www.semiconductor.net/article...igh_k-full.php

Translation : yeah, it might work at 32nm, but obviously yields are down the drain. Exactly what foundries want to hear.
    It is one thing to show a few transistors or a small SRAM from R&D, it's a completely different thing to get a production process ready to roll. IBM utterly sucks at the later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Guderian View Post
    There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.

Quote Originally Posted by savantu View Post
    I bet Bulldozer will fail to appear in 2011.
    That's a pretty bold statement given the current indications that Bulldozers are heading for an early rather than late release versus their official late 2010 release date.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    savantu the optimist, that's for sure.
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by savantu View Post
    CPU based on given process characteristics, all their models and simulations. Now there is a chance everything might change. A bit nervous ? Of course they are silent at the outside; but I bet Bulldozer will fail to appear in 2011.
    ah good old savantu! I knew someone is missing in this thread
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmore View Post
    savantu the optimist, that's for sure.
    My thoughts exactly

Xtreme Addict
    Hey lemme the same 1 "doom"y sentence from the same article written by the same source!

I can be an anal-yst now ey? XD

Oh BTW Intel can't even get the mobile Arrandales to perform properly (stuck at 1.8Ghz) on battery load, so much for static logic, high-k, and such a superior gate-first approach with smart core gating.
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    so are they launching BD soon or a comic book?

Xtreme Addict
    Savantu is right. Bulldozer won't be ready in 2011, it will be available in 2010!

Xtreme Addict
    savantu is right. Bulldozer won't be ready in 2011, it will be available in 2010!
    -

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Macadamia View Post
    I can be an anal-yst now ey? XD
    hey im an Analyst for real, and thats my joke, not yours. (show some respect to my kind of people)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    hey im an Analyst for real, and thats my joke, not yours. (show some respect to my kind of people)
    Yeah, going anal deserves some respect.
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast