Page 1 of 29 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD cuts to the core with 'Bulldozer' Opterons

Xtreme Addict

AMD cuts to the core with 'Bulldozer' Opterons

IT shops buy current products, but they always have their eyes out one or two generations to assure themselves they aren't buying into a dead-end product. Which is why makers of chips and other components that go into systems as well as system makers themselves are forced to talk about the future when what they really want to do is focus on this quarter, right now. And so it is with the future "Bulldozer" cores expected in 2011 from Advanced Micro Devices.
    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...dozer_preview/

interesting performance claims? is it just me, or do they seem weak?
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

I am Xtreme
    in there they talk about 55W Interlagos chips. so that means 12-16 cores at only 55W? so if we assume its a 12core EE chip, i would love to see some quadcores that work at 18W. which means we can easily see 25W quads in laptops based on BD.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by god_43 View Post

16 cores,even done on 32nm would imply rather lowish clocks(in order to stay in the same power band as current six core Istanbul or future Magny Cours products). There will be Turbo-boost like tech in BD based MPUs,so besides the fact that throughput perf. will be great,the single thread perf. should go up considerably from where it stands now.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    16 cores,even done on 32nm would imply rather lowish clocks(in order to stay in the same power band as current six core Istanbul or future Magny Cours products). There will be Turbo-boost like tech in BD based MPUs,so besides the fact that throughput perf. will be great,the single thread perf. should go up considerably from where it stands now.
    I'll take a 2.6Ghz magny core and you can keep your 4Ghz quad.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow9 View Post
    MC is Istanbul based. Interlagos is BD based. I'll take a 2.2Ghz 16core Interlagos with Turbo boost over any other product,you can keep your 2.6Ghz magny cours

Quote Originally Posted by Glow9 View Post
    Not sure if anyone else has seen or posted this, but Magny-Cours looks to be clocked around 2.1GHz. If anyone has seen something other than this please post a link.

Slide/Page 17

Xtreme Enthusiast
    10% performance hit to scale to more cores.

Hrm. Not sure how I feel about that.

On the one hand, apps that can use more cores will see a large benefit. On the other hand, apps that cannot, will possibly see lower performance.

Isn't this what people got all pissy with Intel about and HT?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mstp2009 View Post

On the one hand, apps that can use more cores will see a large benefit. On the other hand, apps that cannot, will possibly see lower performance.

The difference is that you could turn off HT. At max, there is less than 5% performance hit but in most cases HT is beneficial.

Xtreme Addict
    "With the Bulldozer cores (which are not called the K9 generation, by the way, perhaps because AMD does not want any chip to be affiliated with a dog), AMD is being a little more clever."

Perhaps it's becasue AMd has a K10 already - K9 does not make much sense,11 maybe.

"As you can see in the diagram, the Bulldozer module has a shared floating point scheduler and two 128-bit floating point units, which debuted with the quad-core "Barcelona" Opteron 2200s and 8200s two years ago. "

22xx and 82xx are dual core 90nm,Barselona was up to 835xx/235xx

World Community Grid's mission is to create the world's largest public computing grid to tackle projects that benefit humanity.
    Our success depends upon individuals collectively contributing their unused computer time to change the world for the better.

Xtreme Addict

What performance claims? What do you mean weak? I don't see what you're talking about. I'm sorry that I may sound a bit harsh, I don't intend to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by mstp2009 View Post

He states that it gives them a 10% performance hit through the way they added a core to a module compared to just adding a complete module. What he means by that is, if you would take a BD module and remove one integer core along with its scheduling hardware. Now you take that castrated BD module and just put two of those modules on a single die. That dual core die will be about 10% faster than a single (non-castrated) BD module. Savvy?
    Just don't read to much into it, that's just their performance claim after all. In the end, all that matters to us is simply how it will compare to the competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by SocketMan View Post
    "With the Bulldozer cores (which are not called the K9 generation, by the way, perhaps because AMD does not want any chip to be affiliated with a dog), AMD is being a little more clever."

Perhaps it's becasue AMd has a K10 already - K9 does not make much sense,11 maybe.

"As you can see in the diagram, the Bulldozer module has a shared floating point scheduler and two 128-bit floating point units, which debuted with the quad-core "Barcelona" Opteron 2200s and 8200s two years ago. "

22xx and 82xx are dual core 90nm,Barselona was up to 835xx/235xx

They don't seem to be very informed, that's for sure. No noteworthy new information either.
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Xtreme Mentor
    Tough a bit off topic i made a full llano die it will be wrong but better tha look at a half die

Was bored amm
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Addict
    AMD needs to get these launched ASAP, as I doubt they'll be competitive with Intel when they are slated to be launched (2011). They'd be competitive now, but much less so in 2011.

I am Xtreme
    AMD is still releasing high end 45nm chips, and intel is about to push out 32nm high end chips. theres really nothing they can do other than dump lots of cash they dont have into getting to newer processes faster. if we compare the first 32nm chips from both companies, AMD is looking pretty good, its just when they can get them out that sets the two companies apart.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lutjens View Post
    AMD needs to get these launched ASAP, as I doubt they'll be competitive with Intel when they are slated to be launched (2011). They'd be competitive now, but much less so in 2011.
    Why do you say that? This a totally new architecture, no more Barcelona/Deneb cores, so we don't really know how it performs against current CPUs and against future CPUs

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmore View Post
    What performance claims? What do you mean weak? I don't see what you're talking about. I'm sorry that I may sound a bit harsh, I don't intend to be.

Fruehe says that a pair of Bulldozer "cores" will yield about 1.8 times the performance of what a single, whole core would have.

here they mention about only a 1.8x increase in performance.....i dont think that is a very big performance leap? or am i understanding this wrong?
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Mentor
    So core for core Bulldozer is going to be slower than Deneb?? That isn't good at all. Intel isn't making trade-offs like that. If this is true, it seems as though Sandy Bridge will tear Bulldozer apart, never mind Haswell...
    here they mention about only a 1.8x increase in performance.....i dont think that is a very big performance leap? or am i understanding this wrong?
    It means that two Bulldozer cores will only be 80% faster than a single K10.5 core, not 100% (like a dual core K10.5), or more preferably, over 2.0x as it should be with a new microarchitecture. They are trading off performance in order to add more cores.
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah it does sound like they are sacrificing some performance for a more modular many cores approach.
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Northeast Ohio, Where the weather changes every 30 min...
    The way I seem to be understanding it is that the set of "cores" gets a single thread and kind of operates the thread in parallel in some cases. Other cases they would just be seperate cores. I don't know, I only took a class on architecture last semester and we didn't cover much.
    Not much to say right now.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Let's wait and actually see what these systems do before we bash them ok?
    AMD has been doing pretty damned well lately from what I've seen.
    All I'm saying is give them a chance to show what they have before you close your mind. They might just surprise you..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by 003 View Post
    So core for core Bulldozer is going to be slower than Deneb?? That isn't good at all. Intel isn't making trade-offs like that. If this is true, it seems as though Sandy Bridge will tear Bulldozer apart, never mind Haswell...
    how did you come up with that conclusion?
    It means that two Bulldozer cores will only be 80% faster than a single K10.5 core, not 100% (like a dual core K10.5), or more preferably, over 2.0x as it should be with a new microarchitecture. They are trading off performance in order to add more cores.
    It means that Bulldozer core design is tailored in such fashion that achieves 80% of it's full potential 'cos of the shared design. If it didn't used modular/shared approach it would run 100% of it's theoretical performance!

Quote Originally Posted by the Register
    Fruehe says that a pair of Bulldozer "cores" will yield about 1.8 times the performance of what a single, whole core would have.
    On a side note point me out to the new CPU architecture that was 2x faster than it's predecessor at the launch?

003 here's word of advice: don't be so determined about the stuff that you don't have clue
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldguy932 View Post
    The way I seem to be understanding it is that the set of "cores" gets a single thread and kind of operates the thread in parallel in some cases. Other cases they would just be seperate cores. I don't know, I only took a class on architecture last semester and we didn't cover much.
    this it's parallel threading. 1+

so imo, I'll take it if you do a single thread application you would see two cores working on it in the OS at 100% load then out put to one thread, could just be wishful thinking though..

other times it's works just like a dual core cpu.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

I am Xtreme
    the idea of 80% was to try and attack the SMT of Intel chips where one core with two threads does not reach 80% more performance over single threading.

this is not my opinion, just my understanding of what they were referring to and why

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedjo View Post
    On a side note point me out to the new CPU architecture that was 2x faster than it's predecessor at the launch?
    You have misunderstood what I said. Core for core, obviously you can't expect double IPC with a new microarchitecture.

The article said that two Bulldozer cores have a 1.8x increase in parallel performance over a single current generation core.

That is where I got the number of 2.0x, comparing two cores to one core.

Now if we divide that 180% boost by two, we can roughly determine the performance of a single Bulldozer core vs a current generation core. It works out to only 90% of the performance of a current generation core, or 10% slower, which happens to be exactly what the article said.
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Banned
    Since when 1.8 = 10% performance hit? doesn't 1.8 mean 80% faster? lol
    Let's forget that and the K9 comment and focus on the 10% hit.

What it means is that if the structure of two bulldozer modules where made in one bulldozer core it would be 10% faster...

Example: 2 bulldozer modules 50% faster the K10.5, 1 bulldozer core 60% faster then k10.5, there's your 10% hit.

Quote Originally Posted by 003 View Post
    You have misunderstood what I said. Core for core, obviously you can't expect double IPC with a new microarchitecture.

The article said that two Bulldozer cores have a 1.8x increase in parallel performance over a single current generation core.

That is where I got the number of 2.0x, comparing two cores to one core.

Now if we divide that 180% boost by two, we can roughly determine the performance of a single Bulldozer core vs a current generation core. It works out to only 90% of the performance of a current generation core, or 10% slower, which happens to be exactly what the article said.
    lol
    Last edited by LesGrossman; 12-15-2009 at 11:14 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by LesGrossman View Post
    Since when 1.8 = 10% performance hit? doesn't 1.8 mean 80% faster? lol
    See my previous post.

Page 1 of 29 123411 ... LastLast