Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD cuts to the core with 'Bulldozer' Opterons

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 003 View Post
    See my previous post.
    I've seen it and i lmao... thanks.

Xtreme Addict
    It means that two Bulldozer cores will only be 80% faster than a single K10.5 core, not 100% (like a dual core K10.5), or more preferably, over 2.0x as it should be with a new microarchitecture. They are trading off performance in order to add more cores.
    No.

It doesn't meen 2 Bulldozer "cores" will be only 80% faster than 1 K10.5 core they aren't even comparing K10.5... 1 Bulldozer Module will be faster than 2 K10.5 cores by good margins.

With Bulldozer comes CMT "Cluster Multi-Threading" which will basically have 2 "cores" in 1 "Bulldozer Module" - one CMT unit. With one of the Integer Schedulers working we have a performance number of 1. With both Integer Schedulers working in one of these "modules" we will see a performance number of 1.8.

But what do these performance numbers represent, at the moment noone knows, but each Bulldozer "core" will definitely be faster than a K10.5 core that is for sure.
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartidiot89 View Post
    No.

It doesn't meen 2 Bulldozer "cores" will be only 80% faster than 1 K10.5 core they aren't even comparing K10.5... 1 Bulldozer Module will be faster than 2 K10.5 cores by good margins.

With Bulldozer comes CMT "Cluster Multi-Threading" which will basically have 2 "cores" in 1 "Bulldozer Module" - one CMT unit. With one of the Integer Schedulers working we have a performance number of 1. With both Integer Schedulers working in one of these "modules" we will see a performance number of 1.8.

But what do these performance numbers represent, at the moment noone knows, but each Bulldozer "core" will definitely be faster than a K10.5 core that is for sure.
    Hopefully you are correct. That isn't how the article is worded though
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

AMD cuts to the core with Bulldozer Opterons

Never thought of someone doing it quite like that before but I guess it works. Pretty cool. Clean up the setup and I would say its pretty innovative. Whats the turbo lag like on that being that it has to travel so far.

Xtreme Mentor
    The article said that two Bulldozer cores have a 1.8x increase in parallel performance over a single current generation core.

did you read my previous post? Please read it again, especially quote from the article!

Also point me out where in the article did you read comparison with the current gen??
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Addict
    Hopefully you are correct. That isn't how the article is worded though
    I am correct that's for sure, AMD has NEVER compared Bulldozer performance with K10.5 ever.

1 Bulldozer core will outperform 1 K10.5 core, and 2 Bulldozer cores(1 module) will also outperform 2 K10.5 cores for sure.
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Banned
    I am correct that's for sure, AMD has NEVER compared Bulldozer performance with K10.5 ever.

1 Bulldozer core will outperform 1 K10.5 core, and 2 Bulldozer cores(1 module) will also outperform 2 K10.5 cores for sure.
    Not true:

Xtreme Cruncher
    See my previous post.
    AMD just stated that 2 cores inside the module(or a big core if you will) net 80% linear increase in throughput over a module with one single Bulldozer core inside it... That's all. Nothing is said performance wise or compared to Shanghai cores. Each integer core inside BD module is 4 way capable,while Shanghai is 3way capable core.Theoretically if you have a mix of int and fp code,BD module will simply destroy 2 K10.5 cores in throughput since it has much higher theoretical throughput capability(think 2x higher),plus it has a much much more potent SIMD unit (FMAC capable).Single thread perf. should also get a healthy bump due to uarch. modifications (before mentioned wider decoding + more on the memory disambiguation front + a whole new Turbo mode on the core level inside the modules etc.).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    AMD just stated that 2 cores inside the module(or a big core if you will) net 80% linear increase in throughput over a module with one single Bulldozer core inside it... That's all. Nothing is said performance wise or compared to Shanghai cores. Each integer core inside BD module is 4 way capable,while Shanghai is 3way capable core.Theoretically if you have a mix of int and fp code,BD module will simply destroy 2 K10.5 cores in throughput since it has much higher theoretical throughput capability(think 2x higher),plus it has a much much more potent SIMD unit (FMAC capable).Single thread perf. should also get a healthy bump due to uarch. modifications (before mentioned wider decoding + more on the memory disambiguation front + a whole new Turbo mode on the core level inside the modules etc.).
    This^^

Xtreme Addict

You're not completely correct on that one. AMD has indirectly provided some performance comparisons with K10.5. Just look "Upgrade to Bulldozer" part over in this article: http://it.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=3681&p=3
    There it states this: "Two times 4 Bulldozer modules (2 x 8 "cores" or 16 cores) are about 60 to 80% faster than the twelve core Opteron 6100 CPU in SPECInt_rate". Lets presume that's for two CPUs clocked at the same frequency to make it easier. This would mean that a single BD module will be about 20% to 35% faster than a dual core K10.5 based CPU in integer performance. In a later article by AnandTech, Anand simply states this:
    Quote Originally Posted by AnanTech
    According to AMD's roadmaps, Zambezi will use either 4 or 8 Bulldozer cores (that's 2 or 4 modules). The quad-core Zambezi should have roughly 10 - 35% better integer performance than a similarly clocked quad-core Phenom II. An eight-core Zambezi will be a threaded monster.
    I actually wouldn't be surprised if a single BD module is at least about 10-20% faster than a dual core K10.5 CPU in general performance. Remember though, that single BD module will be about the same size as a Sandy Bridge core, maybe a bit smaller than that. Quite an achievement.

That's all still a bit speculation though. We'll just have to reserve judgement until it's launched.
    Last edited by Helmore; 12-15-2009 at 12:49 PM.
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmore View Post
    You're not completely correct on that one. AMD has indirectly provided some performance comparisons with K10.5. Just look "Upgrade to Bulldozer" part over in this article: http://it.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=3681&p=3
    There it states this: "Two times 4 Bulldozer modules (2 x 8 "cores" or 16 cores) are about 60 to 80% faster than the twelve core Opteron 6100 CPU in SPECInt_rate". Lets presume that's for two CPUs clocked at the same frequency to make it easier. This would mean that a single BD module will be about 20% to 35% faster than a dual core K10.5 based CPU in integer performance. In a later article by AnandTech, Anand simply states this:
    I actually wouldn't be surprised if a single BD module is at least about 10-20% faster than a dual core K10.5 CPU in general performance. Remember though, that single BD module will be about the same size as a Sandy Bridge core, maybe a bit smaller than that. Quite an achievement.

That's all still a bit speculation though. We'll just have to reserve judgement until it's launched.

how does Anandtech got such information???
    Main Rig:
    Processor & Motherboard:AMD Ryzen5 1400 ' Gigabyte B450M-DS3H
    Random Access Memory Module:Adata XPG DDR4 3000 MHz 2x8GB
    Graphic Card:XFX RX 580 4GB
    Power Supply Unit:FSP AURUM 92+ Series PT-650M
    Storage Unit:Crucial MX 500 240GB SATA III SSD
    Processor Heatsink Fan:AMD Wraith Spire RGB
    Chasis:Thermaltake Level 10GTS Black

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by haylui View Post
    how does Anandtech got such information???
    i believe they obtained it from amd itself.
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Guru
    Guys, I don't understand why any of you think bulldozer will be weaker than k10.5. It's pretty obvious, just from the increase in SSE instructions and the additional integer pipeline that a single bulldozer "core" will be considerably faster than a k10.5 core.

I think this article was clearly written by people who really have no clue about what bulldozer is, let alone what FP and Int stand for. Just the fact that they made that stupid k9 crack (when if anything it should be k11) shows their pure ignorance for this design. Trusting the wording in the article is like asking Charlie advise on buying Nvidia stock, you could do it if you want, but I certainly would not.
    Last edited by AliG; 12-16-2009 at 06:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by god_43 View Post
    i believe they obtained it from amd itself.

If BD is JUST 10~30% faster than current K10.5, then I'm afraid that it could be another i7 vs K10.5 when facing SB
    Main Rig:
    Processor & Motherboard:AMD Ryzen5 1400 ' Gigabyte B450M-DS3H
    Random Access Memory Module:Adata XPG DDR4 3000 MHz 2x8GB
    Graphic Card:XFX RX 580 4GB
    Power Supply Unit:FSP AURUM 92+ Series PT-650M
    Storage Unit:Crucial MX 500 240GB SATA III SSD
    Processor Heatsink Fan:AMD Wraith Spire RGB
    Chasis:Thermaltake Level 10GTS Black

Xtreme Addict

Xtreme Addict
    i'm no engineer but ill take a wild guess and say linear scaling is impossible!! so that 10% hit is so low considering that more cores you add the less it should scale

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    Gives, I don't understand why any of you think bulldozer will be weaker than k10.5. It's pretty obvious, just from the increase in SSE instructions and the additional integer pipeline that a single bulldozer "core" will be considerably faster than a k10.5 core.

I think this article was clearly written by people who really have no clue about what bulldozer is, let alone what FP and Int stand for. Just the fact that they made that stupid k9 crack (when if anything it should be k11) shows their pure ignorance for this design. Trusting the wording in the article is like asking Charlie advise on buying Nvidia stock, you could do it if you want, but I certainly would not.
    thats what i thought? amd cant afford to launch any think weaker than what they have now. for the record, i was questioning the article more so than believing there numbers.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sn0wm@n View Post
    i'm no engineer but ill take a wild guess and say linear scaling is impossible!! so that 10% hit is so low considering that more cores you add the less it should scale
    How much you wanna bet AMD scales ALOT better with cores than Intel does with hyperthreading.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Thank you sir for clearing this up for me. People need to learn to read for whats there, not what they want to be there
    eXt 4
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 5GHz | Asus Maximus GENE-Z | Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 | eVga GTX 580 SC 1000/2300 | SeaSonic Platinum Platinum-860 | Corsir Force GT 60GB/WD Green 1.5TB
    XSPC dual bay res w/ Laing D5/ XSPC Raystorm CPU Block / EK-FC580 GTX+ GPU block / XSPC RX240 / XSPC RX360 / All Yate D12Sm-12 Fans / NZXT case

St0rage
    AMD Phenom II 965 @ 3.6GHz | Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H | Corsair XMS 8GB DDR2-1066 | 785G integrated | Corsiar TX 750 | WD Green 2.0TB
    Thermalright VenomousX, ALL Yate D12SL-12 FANS

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by flippin_waffles View Post
    How much you wanna bet AMD scales ALOT better with cores than Intel does with hyperthreading.

LOL yeahh they might scale better... but its impossible to have a 100% gain more per core you add... thus my question.....

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sn0wm@n View Post
    LOL yeahh they might scale better... but its impossible to have a 100% gain more per core you add... thus my question.....
    Of course 100% scaling is impossible, you would need to live in a perfect world where electrons didn't leak out of the system. A 20% hit in multithreaded performance is really good considering each core takes up only 50% of a full core. Even having two full cores would still have a performance hit, smaller than 20%, but nothing scales at 100% efficiency.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

I am Xtreme
    more than 100% scaling is possible as long as something is being over saturated. like going from 1GB to 2GB while playing GTA4 maxed out. for a cpu i dont see there being any similar scenarios though.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    more than 100% scaling is possible as long as something is being over saturated. like going from 1GB to 2GB while playing GTA4 maxed out. for a cpu i dont see there being any similar scenarios though.
    yea a 4770 and a 5770 scles over 100% in crossfire (some games)
    Phenon II x4 955 (3.7ghz)/athlon II x2 245 (3.7ghz), Mugen 2 , gigabyte 790xt ud4p, 5770 1000/1420 , 4GB ddr3

http://superclock.mysmf.com 5770 1ghz bench

evga failed

Quote Originally Posted by Vit^pr0n View Post
    Can we just ban this guy? We don't need people coming in here claiming they know someone that's under NDA. Everything that comes out of this posters posts are nothing but delusions from a fanboy.

Xtreme Mentor
    JF blogs about AMD server outlook! Must read: http://blogs.amd.com/work/2009/12/11...10-and-beyond/

Quote Originally Posted by John Fruehe

The Bulldozer architecture can provide up to 80% greater expected throughput when running 2 threads simultaneously compared to a single thread running on a single integer core.
    Our engineers estimate that the amount of discrete circuitry that is added to each Bulldozer module in order to allow for a second integer thread to run only adds ~12% additional circuitry to each module, which translates into only ~5% of circuitry to the total Bulldozer die. We believe this is an excellent balance of greater performance with a very small silicon cost. The goal of the shared components is to help drive down power consumption. When you consider that our 16-core Interlagos is being designed to fit in the same power/thermal environment as a 12-core Magny Cours, it is clear that we’ve made some good choices around the power optimization – without sacrificing performance or features.

Definition of the "module":

Quote Originally Posted by John Fruehe
    he module has 2 integer cores. The two cores will execute 2 threads, not one. The OS will not ever see the module, the OS will only see the cores.
    as I wrote, really useful blog!
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

I am Xtreme
    ^nice, i wish though they did a bit more comparing the die space to other chips, instead of just itself.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast