Thread: Swiftech/HWL/EK/TC/AC/TFC: What is the melt temp of your radiator solder?

Xtreme Enthusiast

Swiftech/HWL/EK/TC/AC/TFC: What is the melt temp of your radiator solder?

Just like the subject says.

I hope that is not too much to ask and thanks in advance if you can advise. If it is protected info then no worries, thanks all the same. It would help tremendously in choosing the proper brazing alloy/solder for working on your rads.

The solder composition would be helpful as well, just for reference sake. I assume everything is Pb free nowadays. Is it Sn/Ag/Cu mix? I also assume everyone is using water soluble flux nowadays.

On a side note: Over the years I've seen JB Weld mentioned a few times in watercooling. But in looking at the MSDS for JB Weld Resin, I found that the metal particles in the filler material are actually iron powder. Iron, which has a .40~.45V difference in anodic index (in the same range as aluminum) compared to brass/copper/nickel. Are there examples of this leading to corrosion, or is it on such a small scale that the effects are unnoticeable?

Last edited by Kibbler; 12-16-2009 at 09:58 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Oh out of curiosity I recall there was an old link with photos of cheerful old ladies stamping and painting Thermochill rads. Anyone still have that link? I got a great kick outta that!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibbler View Post
    Just like the subject says.

I hope that is not too much to ask and thanks in advance if you can advise. If it is protected info then no worries, thanks all the same. It would help tremendously in choosing the proper brazing alloy/solder for working on your rads.

The solder composition would be helpful as well, just for reference sake. I assume everything is Pb free nowadays. Is it Sn/Ag/Cu mix? I also assume everyone is using water soluble flux nowadays.

On a side note: Over the years I've seen JB Weld mentioned a few times in watercooling. But in looking at the MSDS for JB Weld Resin, I found that the metal particles in the filler material are actually iron powder. Iron, which has a .40~.45V difference in anodic index (in the same range as aluminum) compared to brass/copper/nickel. Are there examples of this leading to corrosion, or is it on such a small scale that the effects are unnoticeable?

on contrary .... lead (Pb) still used on most radiators ... in fact they all used lead ... even on the custom rads on cars ..
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/198397...car_radiators/

>450°C maybe?
    brazing require lotsa heat you know
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazing

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    on contrary .... lead (Pb) still used on most radiators ... in fact they all used lead ... even on the custom rads on cars ..
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/198397...car_radiators/

>450°C maybe?
    brazing require lotsa heat you know
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazing
    HWL/Swifty rads are ROHS compliant so surely they're lead-free. Others...I'm not so sure.

I've a butane torch ready and have access to an oxy-acetylene if things get outta hand (and by that I mean if there's a zombie outbreak and I need it to incinerate zombies. It should NOT be necessary for the small jobs I have in mind).

Knowing roughly the melting temperature of the solder they use would allow me to choose solders that melt cooler than that, which with the right amount of care means not de-soldering the original seals while I'm working on new seals.
    Last edited by Kibbler; 12-16-2009 at 10:33 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    well .. there's a lot of guides in brazing ... most of them on copper tubes ...
    but why do you want to break the rad for?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    With all due respect I am asking Gabe/Eddy/Shoggy and others for specific input here, not about brazing in general.