Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

Thread: FERMI Benchmarked?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    The architecture is indeed an unknown variable in this game called graphic-card-industry. Still, seeing and believing NVIDIA thinks the future is HPC I'm not all that optimistic about Fermi's gaming performance. Who knows how many transistors are there for solely for HPC and GPGPU?
    That's key IMO. In GT200 it was pretty clear that the DP support and shared memory held little benefit for graphics. They might have stored a few interpolation and/or texturing inputs in shared memory but nothing that they couldnt have done with a bigger register file. In Fermi however things have been changed up so much that it's not clear what, if anything, could benefit graphics too. It could be nothing like GT200 or they could use the new cache hierarchy and larger shared memory pool to benefit graphics in interesting ways. And of course we still know nothing of the fixed function setup, texturing and blending stages.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    I didn't mean the shaders. But iIrc Fermi has quite massive cache as well. Is this needed for gaming and SP-performance? Just one example

But I'm afraid I have no clue about such things
    come on if we are to know everything about a gpu inners and outters before it gets released then by the time its out its just a boring gpu.. no fun left

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by NapalmV5 View Post
    come on if we are to know everything about a gpu inners and outters before it gets released then by the time its out its just a boring gpu.. no fun left
    But you can OC it and bench / play games!
    And voltmod!
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Guru
    ^

Quote Originally Posted by SamHughe View Post

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by skugpezz View Post
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...6100_15_0.html

it is the 8th post on the page. Now 003 please stop trolling
    This is still in reference to those graphs on Tom's Hardware, not the ones this thread is talking about. I am asking very reasonable questions.
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Addict
    Not really very reasonable IMO. If you had an NDA source that showed you the performance then you should know if they are fake or not.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Solus Corvus View Post
    Not really very reasonable IMO. If you had an NDA source that showed you the performance then you should know if they are fake or not.
    ouch

Xtreme Addict
    THIS IS OFFICIAL AND WHAT WE KNOW NOW
    IEEE 754 single & double precision floating point units
    Achieve up to 600 Gigaflops of double precision performance for faster and more accurate results.

ECC Support
    Offers protection of data in memory to enhance data integrity and reliability for applications. Register files, L1/L2 caches, shared memory, and DRAM all are ECC protected.

Up to 6GB GDDR5 compute memory
    Allows faster access to larger data sets.

NVIDIA Parallel DataCache Technology
    Accelerates algorithms such as physics solvers, ray-tracing, and sparse matrix multiplication where data addresses are not known beforehand.

NVIDIA GigaThread Engine
    Maximizes throughput by faster context switching, concurrent kernel execution, and improved thread block scheduling.

Asynchronous transfer capability
    Turbocharges system performance by overlapping data transfers with computation.

High Speed , PCI-Express Gen 2.0 Data Transfer
    Fast and high-bandwidth communication between CPU and GPU.

CUDA programming environment with broad support of programming languages and APIs
    Choose C, C++, OpenCL, DirectCompute, or Fortran to express application parallelism and take advantage of the “Fermi” GPU’s innovative architecture
    Availability: in early Q2 2010, that is on my nVidia news letter...
    Last edited by JohnZS; 12-14-2009 at 03:17 PM.
    Stop looking at the walls, look out the window

Xtreme Addict
    FH spoke with PR guy from nvidia he said early q1 2010

Xtreme Addict
    My nVidia news letter today said that Fermi will come in early Q2 2010 and that the most powerful Fermi will come in Q3 2010.
    Some specs too
    Double Precision Floating Point Performance 520GFlops - 630 GFlops Mind you this is all about the Quado series products for professional workstations. IT IS however the first word on Fermi and rough indication of performance (ish) presuming the Quadro Clocks are similar to the consumer clocks etc... There are 2 RAM sizes 3GB and the later model 6GB although I can see this being 1.5GB and 3GB on the consumer GPU's
    John
    Last edited by JohnZS; 12-14-2009 at 03:33 PM.
    Stop looking at the walls, look out the window

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Piotrsama View Post
    rv870 330 mm^2
    Fermi something around 500 mm^2
    ~550mm2, around 65nm G200 size.

Quote Originally Posted by NapalmV5 View Post
    you guys talk like fermi is just a refresh.. let me remind you its not

dont be surprised how and why fermi is more than twice as fast than 280/285 and faster than the 5000 series

amds gonna need their new 6000 series (whatever theyre going to name) to combat dual fermi.. 5890/5990 refreshes to keep as close as possible
    Only if they hit their target clocks, which doesn't seem to be the case.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    nvidia does try and go beyond just gaming. if i had to use CUDA just a little, i might not care that i get 5FPS less compared to an equally priced ATI card, cause you are getting some bonus features. which may not be for everyone, but do exist and do have a purpose.
    It's usually the other way around, either the ATi card is a lot cheaper at a given performance point or it is faster for the same price point. You buy for CUDA then fair enough but if you're not going to use it why pay the CUDA tax for a GPU that is a generation behind and offers poorer value:

GT 220 Ł25 vs 4650 Ł29
    GT 240 Ł51 vs 4670 Ł39
    GTS 250 Ł70 vs 4850 Ł70
    GTX 260 Ł140 vs 4890 Ł110
    GTX 285 Ł212 vs 5850 Ł192
    GTX 295 Ł400 vs 5870 Ł309
    2x GTX 295 Ł800 vs 5970 Ł500
    Intel i7 920 C0 @ 3.67GHz
    ASUS 6T Deluxe
    Powercolor 7970 @ 1050/1475
    12GB GSkill Ripjaws
    Antec 850W TruePower Quattro
    50" Full HD PDP
    Red Cosmos 1000

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    Only if they hit their target clocks, which doesn't seem to be the case.
    so you got some A3 ES's ehh? stock clocks are not what napalm cares about if you havent seen his shader clocks! we still have no info on graphics performance.

Xtreme Member
    Yah I was trying to figure out the math earlier but my brain is a little fried today from what I figured

Fermi at 750MHz is projected to be 40% faster than Cypress (no comment on WHICH cypress though average it too 800MHZ and give nVidia the benefit of the doubt). However, they are currently capable of producing 500 MHz Fermi. Which is 33% slower Than projected fermi. So 500 MHz Fermi should be about equal to a 5850.

Which is pretty damn good, I do not know why people are saying that Fermi Absolutely must defeat ATi with best card.

In the overused Car analogy, Lamborghini and Ferrari should give up making cars because the Bugati Veyron is faster? Even though All of them are capable of going fast enough to have you thrown in jail?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZS View Post
    My nVidia news letter today said that Fermi will come in early Q2 2010 and that the most powerful Fermi will come in Q3 2010.
    Some specs too

John
    So 6 months for Fermi to show up and least +1 month for actual availability.

the most powerful Fermi I take is another dual pcb that will show up in 7-9 months.

Looks like the new number is closer to 7 months of ATI rule. Looks like Nvidia needs to get back into chipsets or something.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Addict
    Is it fiscal Q2 or calendar Q2?

Either way, a disappointment and already contradicting what 003 said.

Banned

B-b-b-b-b-b-but he knows someone under NDA! How can he be wrong?!?!

Xtreme Mentor

That is for the Quadro and Tesla variants of Fermi and this has been known for a while now. GeForce is still on track for Q1 and will have higher clocks than Tesla and Quadro, and have ECC disabled, which trades off performance for precision, only needed in HPC applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Vit^pr0n View Post
    B-b-b-b-b-b-but he knows someone under NDA! How can he be wrong?!?!
    I'm not. It's been known for a while now that the Quadro and Tesla cards will be launching after GeForce. That isn't under NDA and was stated by Jen-Hsun Huang in Nvidia's most recent financial conference call.
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
    Slightly OT but I am wondering how 5970 with over 4TFLOPS of power can perform worse than a card with 1/3 of the crunching power.
    You can't compare differect archs. ATI uses more "complex" SPs which need to be fed properly by the compilers. And there's the texturing, setup rate differences etc.
    Last edited by m.fox; 12-14-2009 at 04:36 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    How about responding to the real question asked several times in this thread: Are the numbers in those charts close to the real ones? You can say that without giving any information about your "source".

Xtreme Mentor
    How about responding to the real question asked several times in this thread: Are the numbers in those charts close to the real ones? You can say that without giving any information about your "source".
    The charts are most likely faked. Price/performance of the high end GeForce Fermi will be very good. If the 5970 remains priced at what it is currently after Fermi is released, it will be quite a waste of money.

Xtreme Addict
    Nice dodge. So I take it that the numbers you have supposedly seen don't match what is in these graphs. A simple no would have sufficed.

If the numbers aren't close, then why would the price of R800 have go down, as 003 says?

Xtreme Mentor
    Nice dodge. So I take it that the numbers you have supposedly seen don't match what is in these graphs. A simple no would have sufficed.
    Don't take my word for any of this. Wait for Q1 and see for yourself

Quote Originally Posted by m.fox View Post
    If the numbers aren't close, then why would the price of R800 have go down, as 003 says?
    As an example to answer your question. The original MSRP of the GTX280 was very high, quite a bit higher than the 4870. Although it was faster than the 4870, most people were not willing to pay the significant premium and Nvidia was at one point forced to lower prices to a level at which they were actually losing money with each GTX280 sale. That is why they quickly responded with the GTX285 which slightly bumped up performance and significantly lowered cost of manufacturing.
    Last edited by 003; 12-14-2009 at 04:48 PM.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast