Thread: A few questions...

A few questions...

I currently got a celeron 2,2ghz on a ECS P4VXASD2+ motherboard and I'm planning on buying a asus mobo because this piece of crap ecs mobo can't even mods voltages or overclock!!

So I'm planning on buying a ASUS P4S800 648FX 800FSB 3DD5P1A
    Look like a pretty good board,and it support 800 bus speed for future upgrades like a p4 3.2 or a 3.2EE.

The cooling I got is a fan case that does around 40cfm(push air outside case) and default hsf for celeron 2.2ghz.I also use arctic silver 3.

My current temp are 26C at idle and 38C at load.
    With prime95 I reach about 42C

I will change the default hsf for a volcano 7+ at the same time I will change my motherboard

My memory is standard 2x256mb 266mhz ddr
    (pc2100 right?)

Video card is Ati radeon 9200.Not the best but does the job for now.

So I would like to know if:

-The ASUS P4S800 648FX 800FSB 3DD5P1A is a good choice to overclock,I don't have tons of $ and I'm looking for a board around 125$ canadian.

-What can I expext from the celeron 2,2ghz? Is 3ghz possible or I'm dreaming?

-What good case fan(80mm) would you suggest me? Under 45dbs preferably.

Any other suggestion would also be cool,as long that it doesn't cost me too much

(Btw,this is my 1st post here,and for sure not the last .I also joined the Folding@home team )

Xtreme Lady

Re: A few questions...

Originally posted by Mathieu

So I would like to know if:

-The ASUS P4S800 648FX 800FSB 3DD5P1A is a good choice to overclock,I don't have tons of $ and I'm looking for a board around 125$ canadian.

-What can I expext from the celeron 2,2ghz? Is 3ghz possible or I'm dreaming?

-What good case fan(80mm) would you suggest me? Under 45dbs preferably.

Any other suggestion would also be cool,as long that it doesn't cost me too much
    Welcome around.

Let's take them one by one.

1 ) Hell no. That's even a Sis chipset, it's painfully bad. Look for an Intel 865PE based motherboard that will support your processor, there are plenty and they are cheap. Look at the MSI offerings since they are of the cheapest and still good enough. Or the Asus P4P800 if you can afford it.

2 ) With a little proper cooling, yes it is possible. Granted that your memory will handle a bit of a punishment.

3 ) Case fans are way too many and different all around the world. It's all up to you but any 2500-2700RPM fan will be just fine.

"When I'm good, I'm good. But when I'm bad, I'm better!!"

"Advice not the most pleasant, but the most correct." - Solon

So,the ASUS P4P800 865PE should be good right? It's a P4P800 and has the 865PE chipset

Also it support PC4000,so I can upgrade easily my ram if it prevent me to overclock further hehe

Xtreme Mentor
    What can I expext from the celeron 2,2ghz? Is 3ghz possible or I'm dreaming?
    I've got my 2.2celeron in a Mini shuttle box @ 3.3ghz, 150fsb, I had to Wire wrap the pins for 1.625volts. Since no Volt adjustment on the board. but it has been running smoothly for 6 months.

This is a good chip so you might not be so lucky.

I had this chip up to 3650mhz probably a little less than a year ago.

F@H is always running on it, and it My TV TUNER/TIVO. DVD burner.

and as grace said, stay away from SIS. Intel chip/intel Motherboard always the best bet. I dont like MSI much, ABIT ASUS or Epox 865's I would choose for that future chip you want

I will change the default hsf for a volcano 7+ at the same time I will change my motherboard
    Get a Zalman, Volcano's are loud and i've never been impressed with them.

But then try your factory sink, it handles celerons fine. Im using the stock shuttle Heatpipe/sink. Stock fan with just the back holes cut out of the case.

You problably have good enought memory now since the celeron runs on a 100fsbX4. Hard to find a stick of DDR that wont handle at least 150fsb anymore.

Dont even ask where i've been!!!