Thread: Thrashing the 9800GT 5x Gold, 1x silver

Wanna look under my kilt?

Thrashing the 9800GT 5x Gold, 1x silver

Mobos:

MSI GD-80 (3DM06, 3DV)
    Asus X48 Evo (3D01, 3D03)
    MSI X58M (3D05, AM3)

CPUs: E86, I7 860, I7 950

Cooling: water + dice. More details per-run below. CPU pot by Otti, GPU pot by MMouse (Rev5.) Watercooling by XSPC + DangerDen

RAM:
    X48: Crucial Ballistix Tracer
    I7: G.Skill Ripjaws.

9800GT: Gainward/ Palit. One word: Ridiculous! Just...ridiculous. Even with the MHz I -pulled under dice, I was limited only by my reluctance to VID mod the card!

Others:

I'd like to thank G.Skill, Crucial and Xigmatek. Without your help, this would have needed more thought.

3D01: Beaten only by a tweaked driver install to allow 169.21 drivers. CPU wasnt on its best behaviour on the day. CPU + GPU under dice

3D03: hello D3D! I fell off my chair when this score popped up! CPU + GPU under dice

3D05: Wasnt even trying. GPU still under water. Was first run to see how 3DM05 liked a 1366.....!

3D06: squeezed out the original No.1 on watercooling with the P55 one night with the CPU + GPU under water. Not enough GPU power to need more CPU grunt, but re-ran with a frozen GPU and got this.

3DVantage. Not much of a lead here. Just a watercooled run. If mTech wants to play BS backup games, he better put some effort in......

AM3. Squeeze! CPU under dice... GPU under water!

Heres the kicker.... Those X58 runs were done during my first session with the board + CPU. They were powered up the 1st time the night before to install O.S. only! I'd call that a successful first touch
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Nice work Kenny
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nicely done!
    Any pics from the session?
    I would try to improve the AQ3 is possible as its only just ahead of 2nd.

Xtreme Addict
    Great stuff Kenny

Work out your CPU clocks and re-bench the card for moar

ODOC
    Hey Kenny, wicked stuff huh?

Congrats on the killer session you got pulled off

keep pushing it

Xtreme Legend
    nice work kenny.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I love your threads Kenny. It's like every few months you make one and it's just complete domination of some midrange card.

Great work man
    Heatware
    filmbot

I am Xtreme
    I hate you Kenny Clapham, nothing more to add :p Really nice to see someone pulling out some old hawgs to bench with... doesn't always have to be the latest and most expensive hardware

Top job mate, let's see if our mutual friend has some more left :p, now go for them SLI cups !!! did I already say I hated you for taking my cups :p Would be interesting to see how you vmodded the gainward card. We had the GLH edition here and it didn't scale at all with volts nor better cooling ( talking about a 30-40mhz gain on GPU Vmodded and under H2O, think we might have overlooked something ) Expecting to see more 9800GT madness from ya. At least fous on 01, that can be done mate with a little bit more CPU powaaaa
    Last edited by Leeghoofd; 12-11-2009 at 05:32 AM.

Thanks a lot guys

I think theres more to find in this 950.. maybe some higher RAM clocks once I master the Uncore limits... hope I can squeeze a bit more when its cold. I didnt really push this time.

Leeg... SLI is yours bro, I generally dont bench SLI, much as I enjoy playing with it every now and then....

Maybe squeeze 01 out without bodging 169.21 drivers. A wee bit from run order, a wee bit from CPU MHz..... maybe a couple hundred more from Nature.... who knows!

Vantage I want another pass at

Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    I wouldn't use the 169.21 drivers but another earlier version...
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

I am Xtreme
    Share the secrets of that Gainward card Kenny plz , so I can spank Massman :p If it's the same edition ( saw your high ram clocks ) we must have surely overlooked some modification...

Sure.

Core: Trimmer from FB pin to GND

GDDR: Same

Err...thats not meant to be a smart-arse answer. Just simple voltmods. vCore is kept JUST under cutoff point... so 1.42v load. The voltage is stable. No droop, + or -

RAM is set at 2.22v. Gave me extra core stability and sure... a wee bit more on the RAM.

Iv had a ****ing impossible job trying to find the sweetspot for a GTX+ thats on the same PCB. First touch on water: core ran too hot. Core fell over ~800MHz!! RAM clocked fairly well. 2nd touch: core running slightly cooler but OCs much further (850MHz,) but RAM falls over past 1225MHz???????? Iv disconnected the vGDDR mod and im gonna have a play tonight with it in that state. Maybe my GTX+ is suffering what your GT does? Or.... iv part-borked the card. Thats been known to happen

Also (obviously) too much juice hurts the clocking, regardless of temp. These cards might be especially fond of the sweetspot
    Last edited by K404; 12-12-2009 at 09:36 AM.
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______