Thread: Dell Latitude E6500/E6400 ThrottleGate Fix

Xtreme Addict

Dell Latitude E6500/E6400 ThrottleGate Fix

I was randomly surfing the day away when I came across the ThrottleGate issue today that affects quite a few Dell laptop computers including the Latitude E6500/E6400 series. The problem is that some Dell laptops have been throttling both the CPU multiplier and also using Clock Modulation which is a feature built into all Intel CPUs which can drastically cut performance to keep the core temperatures down.

Great in theory but some Dell engineers got carried away and these features are kicking in way too soon and turning some expensive laptops into slow slugs.

If you haven't heard about this issue you can go here to read some more.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new...d_dell_laptops

This issue has been around for a year now. Randall Cotton did a thorough investigation and published a 59 page pdf explaining the problem in great detail back in July and how to reproduce it.

It took a mountain of negative press before Dell finally got around to releasing some new bios versions recently to try and take care of this problem but I don't know if any of these fixes are 100% effective.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/...7/MaxCore2.zip

I decided to throw together a quick app this afternoon which will hopefully give users with this issue some more control over this problem. It is called MaxCore2 and can be used on any Intel Core 2 CPU, mobile or desktop.

It is an extremely light weight app and won't take up too many system resources when it is running and can also be minimized to your System Tray. It will constantly monitor the Clock Modulation feature of your CPU and make sure that this is turned off. Dell seems to think that it's a good idea to modulate people's CPUs without bothering to notify them that something is going on but I disagree.

The other thing this utility can do is monitor and make sure your Core 2 multiplier stays at its maximum. The Dell bios is designed to lower the multiplier when it decides that your laptop is too hot. This utility should immediately over ride that request.

I'd use the Disable Clock Modulation feature all of the time if you have one of these laptops with this issue. When gaming I would also enable the Maximize Multiplier feature. When surfing the web or on battery power you might want to leave Maximize Multiplier turned off since it will use more power and drain your battery quicker.

If this utility is of any use to you then post some results.

Use of MaxCore2 is strictly at your own risk. It may cause your CPU to run significantly hotter so use RealTemp or a similar program to keep an eye on your core temperatures.
    Last edited by unclewebb; 12-10-2009 at 03:54 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Good stuff Kevin.
    I am sure many Dell users (and perhaps over laptop brands too?) will benefit from this
    John
    Stop looking at the walls, look out the window

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks big time unclewebb , I have seen dell lat 6500 here better than 5 times this past year & was wondering why thay were so slow lol , W7 gave the last one a boost because of the option to set performance profile XP machines suffered and I not even going to say what the vista machine did.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PENT E8400 batch #814A014 ...4.3 at 1.34v~4.7 at 1.45v
    FOXCONN MARS
    COOLIT Eliminator 7*c idle~27~38*c load $95bucks !
    BUFFALO FireStix's ddr2-800 do 1200 eazy at 2.1v
    OCZ 2x2 kit pc2 8500 - 1066 @1069 atm
    Quattro 1000W
    Radeon 2-4850's in crossfire
    OCZ Vertex SSD thanks Tony!
    ALL PIPED INTO HOUSE AIRCOND ;}
    *QUANTUM FORCE* saaya & sham rocks !
    *REAL TEMP*
    At least you've got some Xtreme software now for working in Xtreme situations! "Unclewebb" rocks !
    *MEMSET* Felix rocks !
    *SUPER TEC MAN* UncleJimbo rocks !
    OVERCLOCKERS MAG..http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=197660

Xtreme Addict

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/...rottleStop.zip

MaxCore2 is getting a make over and a few more features. Stay tuned.
    Laptop owners are going to love this simple new app.
    Last edited by unclewebb; 12-20-2009 at 08:19 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    New version looks good Kevin
    This app works wonders on a Samsung R610.
    Stop looking at the walls, look out the window

Xtreme Addict

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/...rottleStop.zip

A few minor updates including the ability to monitor and correct two types of clock modulation throttling which are used on many laptops.