Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Updated BIOS provided by ATI for HD5870

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by HeXploiT View Post
    The 5870 I just received as an RMA from newegg already had this bios.
    Still pinstripes galore.
    Interesting. Wonder if Asus cards coming from RMA will have an unlocked new BIOS then!
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    sorry, i'm getting confused.

I have a 5850 and have flashed with the "unlock msi 5850" bios since I am over clocking. I have the dual screen flicker problem.

Is there now a bios that allows for:
    - unlocked over clocking
    - no second panel flicker problem
    - works with the 5850

thanks!
    i5 4690k @ stock on Apogee GTX
    MB ????
    RAM ???
    HD6970 on mcw60
    PA120.3
    Custom Built Case

My Blog:
    http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Locke

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    sorry, i'm getting confused.

I have a 5850 and have flashed with the "unlock msi 5850" bios since I am over clocking. I have the dual screen flicker problem.

Is there now a bios that allows for:
    - unlocked over clocking
    - no second panel flicker problem
    - works with the 5850

thanks!
    No, either overclocking above 900MHz with PowerPlay features or no flickering, you pick one. This one has not been unlocked properly.
    Donate to XS forums
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    No, either overclocking above 900MHz with PowerPlay features or no flickering, you pick one. This one has not been unlocked properly.
    thanks so much. the flicker doesn't bother me so much.
    i5 4690k @ stock on Apogee GTX
    MB ????
    RAM ???
    HD6970 on mcw60
    PA120.3
    Custom Built Case

My Blog:
    http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Locke

Xtreme Member
    What does it mean to be locked?

Do programs like ATIGPU not work on that particular BIOS?

The only issues I've had with my Eyefinity/5870 (Tri) is sometimes the Display Port monitor (using the active DVI adaptor) will either start flickering or give a "Incorrect input" error.
    Which unpluging and replugging the Display Port cable fixes instantly.

Would this error be at all covered in the BIOS update? (The only clocking I do is keeping my card at the stock max so that the monitors in Eyefinity don't start that resolution/flickering lag thing they tend to do with low clocks).
    i7-920 @ 4.0ghz/1600mhz,
    Quantum Force Bloodrage, DominatorDD3,
    Velociraptor, gtx460-sli, 2tb W.D., Corsair HX1000w,
    CM:Scout

http://soundcloud.com/kiyka/

Xtreme Member
    Well i had the flickering issue but since i updated my BIOS it is completely gone. I do not OC my card so i am just very happy that the flickering is gone , my eyefinity works each time i start/ reboot.

I am Xtreme
    ATI, Powercolor, Sapphire and XFX started using this new BIOS with their cards. But not MSI and ASUS... Come on, quit slacking, we want our unlocked BIOSes!
    Donate to XS forums

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    ATI, Powercolor, Sapphire and XFX started using this new BIOS with their cards. But not MSI and ASUS... Come on, quit slacking, we want our unlocked BIOSes!
    I'm with you on this, unlocked bios would be great. Going to flash to this bios tomorrow, hopefully I can find the correct instructions, I may post them all together for my setup prior, so that I can ensure I have everything right.

I was going to flash to the unlocked bios that I believe you (zalbard) linked to earlier...the MSI unlocked bios; but at this point i'm being patient. My two 5870 cards work great together already, however, it would be awesome to be XTREME and have them both overclocked, LOL.
    2013 Rig: Mythlogic Pollux 1713: i7 4800, 16GB 14900 Corsair, AMD8970, 840 Pro RAID 0 (128gb), 265GB 840 Pro, 1TB HDD, Killer 1202, Win 7 x64
    PREVIOUS Desktop:EVGA E760 3-Way, 2x 5870, Corsair GT 6gb 1600, i7-920 @ 4.35ghz 1.42v, GTZ, EVGA waterblock, 2xthrmchil120.3+mcp655, Silverstone DA1kW, ARC-1220
    Laptop- ASUS G50V-A2@3GHz w/2gb RAM G.Skill
    Car: 01 T/A WS6 http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631954
    ...Ur car is sneezing?!...
    Help Save Lives Join World Community Grid!

I am Xtreme
    Interesting...
    Found this:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=37
    Quote Originally Posted by xFiniti64
    I found how to unlock rom :
    1st http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads..._2.0.1.11.html
    use command lockrom/unlock rom , when creating a shortcut on target write -unlockrom 0
    I think , I can not say exactly, because I tried a lot of combinations , and one does. Now i can flash rom.

ps: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...lash_3.79.html Add "-lockrom" and "-unlockrom" in Atiflash to lock rom for protection
    Have anyone tried this?
    Or is this some kind of different unlocking?
    Last edited by zalbard; 02-18-2010 at 08:57 AM.
    Donate to XS forums

Banned
    Will this bios work on the Eyefinity 2G card?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    anyone know how to flash 2 cards at the same time, i have two 5870 in a single W/C loop im not able to flash each card by it self .

Xtreme Addict
    read the atiflash commands. You can distinguish between two adapters using 1 or 0. atiflash -f -p 0 asus.rom where 0 represents first adapter. atiflash -f -p 1 asus.rom where 1 represents the second adapter.

there are commands to identify all the adapters on your motherboard, I would just become familiar with them first before actually flashing.
    Bring... bring the amber lamps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Back from the Dead
    I just added a 2nd card (MSI) to my Gigabyte HD5870. Both are old cards, from October 2009 or something. I was still running the original Asus unlock bios on my Gigabyte card, and that MSI card had an even older bios on it.
    So I just flashed both cards with the latest Asus bios from TPU to even them out, but now I am getting weird behaviour with idle clocks and volts. Either I disable overdrive in CCC and get my low idle clocks of 157/300, but full VGPU in idle, OR I enable overdrive and get lower VGPU (1,06V, used to be 0,95V with the old bios) but very high idle clocks of 400/1200.
    What's the deal with this? I don't wanna blow power out the door for two cards that are idle 90% of time.

Any other recent bios I should use instead? Or just go back to the original unlocked Asus bios back from September 09 and be done with it?

Thanks.

PS: I never had any issues with the low idle clocks (screen flicker or whatever people have been posting about). I only run 1 screen though.
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    I just added a 2nd card (MSI) to my Gigabyte HD5870. Both are old cards, from October 2009 or something. I was still running the original Asus unlock bios on my Gigabyte card, and that MSI card had an even older bios on it.
    So I just flashed both cards with the latest Asus bios from TPU to even them out, but now I am getting weird behaviour with idle clocks and volts. Either I disable overdrive in CCC and get my low idle clocks of 157/300, but full VGPU in idle, OR I enable overdrive and get lower VGPU (1,06V, used to be 0,95V with the old bios) but very high idle clocks of 400/1200.
    What's the deal with this? I don't wanna blow power out the door for two cards that are idle 90% of time.

Any other recent bios I should use instead? Or just go back to the original unlocked Asus bios back from September 09 and be done with it?

Thanks.

PS: I never had any issues with the low idle clocks (screen flicker or whatever people have been posting about). I only run 1 screen though.
    That was the Ati bios to fix couple of Eyefinity problems. Thats also why the 2d clocks are higher as its for ultra high resolutions.
    Just flash back. Those old roms are ok

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EtheEnthusiast View Post
    That was the Ati bios to fix couple of Eyefinity problems. Thats also why the 2d clocks are higher as its for ultra high resolutions.
    Just flash back. Those old roms are ok
    If you have more than 1 screen attached this is what happens to prevent the flickering.

Either flash back to a previous ROM or detach a monitor

Otherwise you will have to live with it.

Back from the Dead
    Flashed back to old unlocked Asus bios. Both cards idling at 157/300 and 0.95V, no problems. Power saved in idle vs. new bios: 50W.
    Jeez, ATI...
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123