Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ImgTech wipes the floor with Tegra 2...

Xtreme Mentor

Exclamation ImgTech wipes the floor with Tegra 2...

... in the graphics department, with their new graphics core - PowerVR SGX545

http://www.slashgear.com/imagination...s-gpu-0869124/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/08/i...casually-glan/

This is amazing little GPU for mobile phones and "Slates" that support unbelievable stuff for it's target market:

The new mobile GPU adds full support for OpenGL 3.2 and OpenCL 1.0. The real-world performance is said to deliver 40 million polygons per second at 200MHz. It is capable of producing content on a screen with a high-definition resolution, and giving a high framerate for rendered 3D content.

* DirectX10.1 API support
    * Enhanced support for DirectX10 Geometry Shaders
    * DirectX10 Data assembler support (Vertex, primitive and instance ID generation)
    * Render target resource array support
    * Full arbitrary non power of two texture support
    * Full filtering support for F16 texture types
    * Support for all DirectX10 mandated texture formats
    * Sampling from unresolved MSAA surfaces
    * Support for Gamma on output pixels
    * Order dependent coverage based AA (anti-aliased lines)
    * Enhanced line rasterisation

The new GPU's support for full profile OpenCL 1.0 also adds a number of advanced features, including:

* Support of round-to-nearest for floating-point math
    * Full 32-bit integer support (includes add, multiply and divide)
    * 64-bit integer emulation
    * 3D texture support
    * Support for the maximum 2D and 3D image sizes specified in the full profile.

http://www.imgtec.com/News/Release/index.asp?NewsID=516

I mean DX10.1 and OGL 3.2 GPU inside iPhone Next - mindbogglingly wicked!
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Member
    Intel will likely use it for it's mobile IGPs. DX10.1 means nothing outside windows and especialy into an iphone. In the mobile world, OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2.x are dominant, and will probabily continue so.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabu View Post
    Intel will likely use it for it's mobile IGPs. DX10.1 means nothing outside windows and especialy into an iphone. In the mobile world, OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2.x are dominant, and will probabily continue so.
    well they were dominant, 'cos of the capabilities of hardware they were designed! This new stuff from ImgTech has potential to bring DX10.1 capabilities inside WinMo 7 phones, as well as full featured OGL 3.2, and OpenCL 1.0 for any other phone (including WinMos) OK most probably will need to await 28nm manufacturing tech to enable SoCs complex enough to include all of the features of the new IP, but Slates aka Tablets powered by SoCs produced in 40nm can sustain full featured SGX545 cores...
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Why such a harsh title,nother of the articles you presented have this title...
    Anyhozel seems nice now let's see how it faires on the software support side.
    Before you complain about lag, think about Jesus. He lagged three days before respawning.

Xtreme Addict
    lol i remember when everybody dissed ati for dx 10.1 now every freekin company supports it sadly 3 years later

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by XS2K View Post
    Why such a harsh title,nother of the articles you presented have this title...
    well I must admit I was kind a carried away by the fact that we're on the brink of having DX10.1/OGL 3.2/OCL 1.0 capable GPU in something that Google christened "Superphone"

It was like yesterday that that kind of tech wasn't imaginable w/o 150W / 10" Graphics card!

Xtreme Addict
    it's not because a chip support DX10.1 or DX11 that it can run the code at any decent FPS

Belgium's #1 Hardware Review Site and OC-Team!

Xtreme Mentor
    Even if it cant run it at decent FPS, it is still so much further ahead then the competitors which is good.

Yet it was Nvidia who called DX10.1 pointless when ATI had it for the desktop since the 3800 cards, and now they are putting it inside mobile devices? How much more pointless is that? Will my next cell phone run crysis?

:p.

Xtreme Member
    I think Tegra 250 will be more powerful than this considering the 3D graphics performance is 2x that of Tegra 650, of which is 47 million polygons/s.
    Last edited by Firestrider; 01-09-2010 at 03:50 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Biased OP is biased.
    Are we there yet?

Xtreme Addict
    Wow! I can't believe we'll be able to buy $100 5600-series graphics cards with support for hardware tessellation! Nvidia's $500 cards can't do it!!!1
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

How exactly does the PowerVR SGX 545 wipe the floor with the tegra 2, when the latter is far superior on almost every level?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    only 200mhz eh?
    must... overclock...

I am Xtreme
    This does not mean much without the power consumption numbers since it's what's just as important as performance for mobile devices and it's what Tegra 2 apparently excels at.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Mentor

This is a SDK available since April 09 "In India". I think the Terga2 platform better for idle situations but once the cores are used the OMAP 4430 will be above par with terga 2 at similar clock because of the architecture but on the graphics side terga 2 would be better because of the openness seen in the architecture with reference to the GPU.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    This does not mean much without the power consumption numbers since it's what's just as important as performance for mobile devices and it's what Tegra 2 apparently excels at.
    QFT

if this thing requires 10w to run dx10.1 then we'll never have it in a smartphone. also, what smartphone os is capable of running dx10.1? how will you be able to install dx10 games on a cell phone? trying to download crysis over 3g would take WEEKS! with nvidia's tegra2 rumored to only consume 10mw duing music playback and 100mw for hd decode, i'm sure it will be the piece of mobile hardware to have this year.

also, nedjo, do you work for amd? it doesn't bother me if you do, i just want to understand where your opinions come from. thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Addict
    This is just Nedjo trolling NV yet again. Neither article says the title. In addition, the original graphic accelerator in the 3gs pumps out 28 million polygons/sec. This is like 40% faster than that.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nedjo , i have nothing against your hate for nividia. But when you report news try to be less biased at least in the title. You sound like charlie and if i want to read news with a spin i know where to find it.

Now i got to give it to you that this is intresting news, but the way you present it is realy
    Abit IC7 P4 2.8a @4.21 | P4 3.4e @4.9 | Gainward 6800GT GS @486/1386
    Asus P4P800 SE Dothan 730-PM @ 2900 | EVGA 6800 Ultra GS @521/1376

e8400@4.3G & 8800GTS G92 800/1932/1132 as gaming rig 24/7

Custom self build chillbox with watercooling @-28c 24/7 | chilled wc " cpu -18c idle/-3c load
    3DMark 2005 Score Dothan & 6800U
    3DMark 2005 Score p4 & 6800GT

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    This is just Nedjo trolling NV yet again.
    and how am I trolling NV exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by railer View Post
    Nedjo , i have nothing against your hate for nividia. But when you report news try to be less biased at least in the title. You sound like charlie and if i want to read news with a spin i know where to find it.
    seriously what was biased in my post? I've just copy pasted specs and features of the new SGX core, and made personal comment!

Again I really don't have any emotional attachments to NV!

If you compare capabilities of Tegra's graphics and new SGX core it's like comparing S3 Virge, and Radeon HD 3850! Isn't that impressive!?

just 'cos NVIDIA is producing Tegras it doesn't mean that isn't allowed to compare it in proper way with competitive solutions on given market, and saying it sux compared to SGX!
    Now i got to give it to you that this is intresting news, but the way you present it is realy
    OK, does this makes you and tajoh relax:

"NVIDIA GeForce 256 wipes the floor with PowerVR Kyro"?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedjo View Post
    Again I really don't have any emotional attachments to NV!
    Hate requires an emotional attachment as strong as love in order to be kept as what it is:

hate.

And you sir, do hate nVidia.

KBYTHX
    Are we there yet?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post
    Even if it cant run it at decent FPS, it is still so much further ahead then the competitors which is good.

Yet it was Nvidia who called DX10.1 pointless when ATI had it for the desktop since the 3800 cards, and now they are putting it inside mobile devices? How much more pointless is that? Will my next cell phone run crysis?

:p.
    the only point of directx is to make people use microsoft windows. opegl es is where its at for low power.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Luka_Aveiro View Post
    Hate requires an emotional attachment as strong as love in order to be kept as what it is:

hate.

And you sir, do hate nVidia.

KBYTHX
    dude I don't hate NVIDIA! I don't have any reason to hate it!

If I'm saying that some other company has kick-a*s product compared to NV product doesn't automatically means I hate NV!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedjo View Post
    and how am I trolling NV exactly?
    I think you'll find theyre complaining about the title, as that title is quite rough and apparently didn't come from one of the articles. I havent read the articles myself so no comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Today: "MPAA threatens to disconnect Google from the Internet"
    Tomorrow: "Google removes MPAA term from its search engine"
    Day after tomorrow: "No one remembers who or what MPAA is , nor cares anymore"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Do you understand the difference between news and opinions?
    "ImgTech wipes the floor with Tegra 2" is nothing else but your opinion. Not sure if its even valid to compare both. One is Soc the other is just gpu with nice specs which we haven't seen in action yet . Nothing is know about power consumption, no benchmarks avail.

When i visit this part of forum it says Xtreme News not Xtreme Opinions.
    If you would be more objective when presenting this we would in fact be talking about the tech here. Instead most of the page is full of crap and complaints. Don't you get that?
    Last edited by railer; 01-10-2010 at 11:26 PM.
    Abit IC7 P4 2.8a @4.21 | P4 3.4e @4.9 | Gainward 6800GT GS @486/1386
    Asus P4P800 SE Dothan 730-PM @ 2900 | EVGA 6800 Ultra GS @521/1376

e8400@4.3G & 8800GTS G92 800/1932/1132 as gaming rig 24/7

Custom self build chillbox with watercooling @-28c 24/7 | chilled wc " cpu -18c idle/-3c load
    3DMark 2005 Score Dothan & 6800U
    3DMark 2005 Score p4 & 6800GT

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Edit: Ahh nevermind. Everyone just play nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Today: "MPAA threatens to disconnect Google from the Internet"
    Tomorrow: "Google removes MPAA term from its search engine"
    Day after tomorrow: "No one remembers who or what MPAA is , nor cares anymore"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast